DirecTV Regular Box vs Genie?

Adamant

Adamantium Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone have the DirecTV Genie? I've had the regular DirecTV box for years but I've been thinking about upgrading. I already have HD and DVR and all that but I heard it's even better with Genie. Like you can record 5 shows at the same time instead of just 2, and they offer more HD channels as well as 4K channels.

But I'm curious... since I've been a customer for like 10 years, are they gonna work with me on a good price if I upgrade? Or am I gonna have to pay the $200 fee or whatever it is for new customers? And then how much does having the Genie increase your monthly fee (if I keep the same tier of channels)?

I'm going to call and speak with them sooner or later, but I just wanted to get a feel from anyone who has any experience with it first.

I got Genie free with my new subscription

They charge a 100 for wifi receivers tho

I got Genie free with my new subscription

They charge a 100 for wifi receivers tho

I already have a wiki receiver so I'm good on that. That'd be awesome if I could get the Genie box for free.

I have a genie and i can't imagine not having it now. It's often that I have four shows recording at once. And I can watch whatever on the dvr from any receiver

I have a genie and i can't imagine not having it now. It's often that I have four shows recording at once. And I can watch whatever on the dvr from any receiver

Sweet. I've heard it's a lot better than the regular box. I'd love to upgrade but I'm just hoping it doesn't cost a ton to do it, or the beef up the fees a whole lot (if I stay at the same channels).

Sweet. I've heard it's a lot better than the regular box. I'd love to upgrade but I'm just hoping it doesn't cost a ton to do it, or the beef up the fees a whole lot (if I stay at the same channels).
Do you have a dvr already?

Anyone have the DirecTV Genie? I've had the regular DirecTV box for years but I've been thinking about upgrading. I already have HD and DVR and all that but I heard it's even better with Genie. Like you can record 5 shows at the same time instead of just 2, and they offer more HD channels as well as 4K channels.

But I'm curious... since I've been a customer for like 10 years, are they gonna work with me on a good price if I upgrade? Or am I gonna have to pay the $200 fee or whatever it is for new customers? And then how much does having the Genie increase your monthly fee (if I keep the same tier of channels)?

I'm going to call and speak with them sooner or later, but I just wanted to get a feel from anyone who has any experience with it first.

When DirecTV went HD I had been with them for 10 years and they wanted $400 per receiver plus installation fee to upgrade. They offered new subscribers up to 4 receivers and installation free with a 2 year subscription. I told them I wanted the same deal but they said it was only for new subscribers.
I said I'd cancel my service and sign up as a new subscriber but they said I'd have to wait 2 years to be a NEW subscriber. I told them to fuck themselves and switched to cable.

After I dropped DirecTV they called me to ask why. That was in 2008 and every month since then l get a form letter from DirecTV telling me they miss me and offering the 4 rooms free. After having cable and high speed internet, I'd never go back to DirecTV. I live at 45 degrees North and heavy clouds block the signal. Rain or snow made viewing impossible even though I had a 6 ft diameter dish.

I just upgraded to the genie last week. It didn't cost me anything extra. Had a extra line put in my youngest boys room also. There was supposed to be a $49 charge but the lady on the phone credited my account the $49 before the installer ever came out. So I have the main receiver and then 4 mini boxes in different rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back