Dillashaw's Win Proves...

DarthChen731

Disciple of Norm Macdonald
@Gold
Reaction score
So for years now people have been saying that TUF doesn't produce quality fighters anymore. Now that TJ Dillashaw has beaten Renan Barao (in dominant fashion) does that prove that notion wrong?

No TUF castmate since season 5 had fought for a title until Dodson fought Mighty Mouse and now Dillashaw has become only the fourth TUF member (and the first non-winner) to capture the belt. Does this have more to do with Dodson and Dillashaw being head and shoulders above the other castmates from seasons 6-now? Or is it just about the lower weightclasses being shallow? Or do you consider TJ's win a fluke thanks to the big shot he landed in the first round?

So does it prove that TUF is still worth it? Or does it not prove anything in relation to TUF?

1401153706000-TJ-Dillshaw-and-UFC-Belt.jpg

Here's a pretty picture since I know we all have short attention spans.

Last edited:
it also proves resumes mean little and that most fighters have a style that can beat them

Am I the only one that thinks that TAM+Bang made TJ not TUF?

Imo TUF is just a reality show it isnt supposed to create champions, its job is to get audiences ( and it fails )

Imo TUF is just a reality show it isnt supposed to create champions, its job is to get audiences ( and it fails )

I mean, there's no doubt that Alpha Male has been a perfect camp for him or that Bang helped the team's striking tremendously. But TJ is the first TUFer in a long time to win a title. Does that help to legitimize the continuation of the show since they're still involving fighters that can be at the top division? Because for a long time it's seemed that all of the fighters they've had have been mid-tier at best.

I mean, there's no doubt that Alpha Male has been a perfect camp for him or that Bang helped the team's striking tremendously. But TJ is the first TUFer in a long time to win a title. Does that help to legitimize the continuation of the show since they're still involving fighters that can be at the top division? Because for a long time it's seemed that all of the fighters they've had have been mid-tier at best.

that season with tj had some great talent. gaudinot, brandao, brimage, bernudez, dodson (who owned tj), and even caraway. gaudinot, bermudez, dodson, and tj were all great additions to the ufc, so clearly tuf can have some great seasons, however it can also have seasons like team carwin vs team nelson...

That was the first lower weight class season of TUF correct?

The talent pool for that season of TUF had a lot of untapped potential, I think.

Plus Dillashaw joined the perfect camp to grow under.

Tuf means nothing overall. It produces more duds than studs, so if you wanna argue stats, he's the exception, not the new rule.

If Dodsen had more stamina, Tuf would've produced 2 champs in 1 season.
A lot of people forget that he knocked Johnson multiple times down in the early rounds.

The season tj was on was one strong season of tuf,Brandao,bermudez,carraway,tj,Dodson,Johnny Bedford,louis gaudinot.

All still in the ufc with a few of them making major waves in the ufc.With a few tweaks Dodson is is the flyweight champion.

If Dodsen had more stamina, Tuf would've produced 2 champs in 1 season.
A lot of people forget that he knocked Johnson multiple times down in the early rounds.

i either want dodson to get the rematch or dodson vs joseph b.

It proves that a good camp, hard-working fighter who has his eyes on the prize that understands the importance of having a good corner and execute the plan with precision will win you the belt...no matter where you came from.

It proves that the best fighters on tuf are always the ones who dont win the show.

You aren't the only one.

More times than not, TUF produces a handful of really good prospects. Look at the prelims from 173. Holdsworth got his first post TUF win in dominant fashion. Ferguson advanced to 5-1 in the UFC. Chiesa is now 4-1 in the UFC. Gastelum is almost a top ten fighter (he's ranked #11). Denis Bermudez is ranked #10 and 6-0 since the finale. Dodson is 4-1, has fought for the title, and is about to again. Miles Jury is 5-0 in the UFC and is ranked #9. Michael Johnson 6-2 in his last 8 and ranked #10. Daron Cruickshank is 5-2 with a win over a former #1 contender (even though it was at featherweight). Alex Caceres is 6-1 (arguably shouldbe 7-0) since going to bantamweight. Luke Barnatt is 3-0. Clint Hester is 3-0. Cummings is 2-0. Bryan Caraway is 3-1. Marcus Brimage is 3-1 in a weight class he was small for.

Dillashaw wasn't the only TUF competitor to win last weekend. Krause, Chiesa, Ferguson, Holdsworth, Pichel, and Sicilia all picked up wins, and Iaquinta was cruising before getting caught in a hail mary choke (which was freakin' awesome).

TUF doesn't produce a lot of champions, but then again, most fighters in the UFC don't become champions. That's just the way it is. To say that good fighters don't come from the show is pure nonsense. Edit: theanticool put together a good list above my post. Some others include Costas Philippou, Brad Tavares, and Johnny Bedford. Good fighters. The only real dud of a season in recent years was TUF 16.

Last edited:

It's job is to produce prospects and give them some name recognition before heading into the UFC.

that season with tj had some great talent. gaudinot, brandao, brimage, bernudez, dodson (who owned tj), and even caraway. gaudinot, bermudez, dodson, and tj were all great additions to the ufc, so clearly tuf can have some great seasons, however it can also have seasons like team carwin vs team nelson...
that was my favourite season of TUF I like most of the fighters from that season I think the main reason,for there being so many quality fighters on that season was due to the fact it was the first time for BW and FW divisions

So, from what I've gathered so far, people seem to be reevaluating the worth of TUF and saying that the recent seasons have actually produced some pretty good talent (which I can definitely agree with).

Anybody have any idea why? I mean, the middle seasons were just so goddamned bad, what made the prospects better in recent years?

Back