Difficulty Securing the Second Grip for the CCC from Mount

Edmundus

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello all.

More recently, when I've gone for the cross-collar from mount (assuming I secure the first grip) my sparring partner usually turns on his side, making securing the second grip difficult.

Am I doing something wrong in my setup? Is there a good way to stop them turning on their side so as to secure the second grip? I read somewhere about Roger applying pressure on his opponent's chest using his elbow, could that help?

Also, could someone please give me some advice on maintaining the mount position on larger opponents? I find it hard to stop them breaching and rolling if they're bigger than me, even if I'm trying to base out on one side after securing the first collar grip. In this situation with larger opponents, should I let the choke go and look to take their back? Or again, am I doing something wrong in failing to maintain the mount with the collar grip?

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

If he turns on his side, he's probably opening himself up for an armbar.

Keep attacking/threatening back control and the armbar. He'll eventully make a mistake for you to catch him with something. Or, get so worried about the arm/back control that he'll leave space for you to to get the second grip.

I like this choke very much and I'm gonna try to share my view on this:

When the first grip is in the collar (lets say my right hand on the left side of his head in my pov, palm up) I am keeping my chest either very high or low.

If im high I will move my hips when he bumps, but not my center of gravity.
I use that posture when I want a deeper first grip.

Otherwise I'm always low, keeping my weight on my left side first with my left hand also posting on my left side. My elbow is pressing down and my right hand is pulling upwards.

Getting the second grip: I now need to transfer my weight to the center and because of that I now put my left hand on the right side of uke. When trying to make the second grip I cant post with my right hand so instead I use my head to post (and also now puts the weigh a little bit to my right).

Altough: If the opponent still manages to turn to my right (his left) I attack with Armlock/Cradle (Bow&arrow) choke combination.

Some things to always remember in mount:
#Always try to keep your feet and knees together.
# Always put your weight to the side you have something to post with.

Back