Difficulty breathing when in back mount

Nozza

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think I might have a bit of a problem with feeling like I can't breath in general when dealing with heavier guys but one more worrying area is when I've got the other guy in a back mount. The other night I had the guy in my hooks, with seatbelt grip trying find a choke and I'm finding that his weight lying back into my solar plexus is seriously making me fight for air - to the point where I was feeling like giving up the position entirely just to get his weight off me.

Is this remotely common? Anything I can do?

Roll him to one side?

Usually I roll them to the side my choking arm is in and hopefully you've got that arm trapped by your leg already. Don't cross your ankles and start working the RNC or bow and arrow off that side.

He shouldn't be able to just smash you flat onto your back by bridging up, make sure you divert that pressure to the side YOU want him on. If need be, switch him back to the other side and rinse/repeat until your choke grips are right/have one of his arms caught or you're moving onto setting up mount, armbar, triangle, etc.

Get him down a bit further on your body to begin with.

Also, are you very new to this?
Breathing under loads of pressure etc. is something that comes over some time, just like the chest pains (if you're rolling hard from the beginning) take some time to go away.

Roll him onto the side on which you have the underhook.

Get him down towards your hips, Less pressure and he is more secure (If someone has my back I push myself up and try to slide over his face).

Or turn to a side, but I would advise getting him lower before doing so.

if you are able to keep your core tense this isn't that bad

let go of one hook and use it as a butterfly hook, elevate him to his side

I think I might have a bit of a problem with feeling like I can't breath in general when dealing with heavier guys but one more worrying area is when I've got the other guy in a back mount. The other night I had the guy in my hooks, with seatbelt grip trying find a choke and I'm finding that his weight lying back into my solar plexus is seriously making me fight for air - to the point where I was feeling like giving up the position entirely just to get his weight off me.

Is this remotely common? Anything I can do?

yes it is normal as bridging is a way to escape the back control.

switch to an arrow and bow choke to relieve the pressure.

Yes I'm pretty new to BJJ - about 4 months. I'll try some of the tips to see how it pans out. Thx.

Is it possible my core needs strengthening?

Yes I'm pretty new to BJJ - about 4 months. I'll try some of the tips to see how it pans out. Thx.

If you're new, there's no doubt it does. It'll come with practice though.

Last edited:
Roll him onto the side on which you have the underhook.

i think he'd be better off rolling him to the other side, he has better choking options there and his arm isn't stuck under his partner. or maybe i'm just reading this wrong?

if you are able to keep your core tense this isn't that bad

let go of one hook and use it as a butterfly hook, elevate him to his side

This was going to be my response. Love doing that to control the guy when he's trying to lay back into me.

i think he'd be better off rolling him to the other side, he has better choking options there and his arm isn't stuck under his partner. or maybe i'm just reading this wrong?
I think you're reading it wrong as we are in agreement.

planks, side planks will be your friend.

eventually you will have to drill knee on belly, as in you will be the person on bottom. it will suck no matter what, but by being able to keep your core tense and tight pushes against the knee and allows you to breath

Back