Different Weaves in Gis

mycompy386*

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are the different weaves and what do they mean (for the gi)?
How does one differentiate between the different weaves?
What is the ranking of weaves based on durability, weight, or other criteria.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, I did a little search around but couldn't find the answers. Thanks.

Single weave= lightest but least durable, collar usually thinner
Double weave= heaviest but most durable, collar usually thicker

There are tons of "hybrid" weaves out that attempt to give the best of both worlds in between a single and double. What weave you pick depends on your own personal preferences.

In my opinion gold weaves are the best. its a hybrid. Very durable and lighter than the double weave but heavier than the single. I've owned two and never had a problem.

I recommend thicker weaves if you're a shorter guy like me. My partners always go for the russian grip and it makes it a lot easier to pop off if you have a thick gi.

What are the different weaves and what do they mean (for the gi)?
How does one differentiate between the different weaves?
What is the ranking of weaves based on durability, weight, or other criteria.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, I did a little search around but couldn't find the answers. Thanks.

Double weaves are useful in Comps because they can be a lot harder to get a grip on for throwing or sub attempts. They are also more durable, but much hotter. I wouldn't buy one unless/until you are ready to compete.

Thanks guys. What are the platinum and gold weaves? And where would they be in terms of the criteria previously listed?

Back