Different Gloves - Sparring & Pads/Bag

Tr0gdor

White Belt
Reaction score
Is this more for the benefit of your sparring partner? I know hitting the bag/mitts over time can harden and condense the padding in your gloves.

Wasn't sure if this was for hand protection as well.

Just seems like no one follows this rule in my gym.

Is this more for the benefit of your sparring partner? I know hitting the bag/mitts over time can harden and condense the padding in your gloves.

Wasn't sure if this was for hand protection as well.

Just seems like no one follows this rule in my gym.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. People either do not know, do not care, or try to squeak by with one pair of gloves for everything. It sounds as though the average person at your gym probably could not tell you the difference between bag, super bag, all-purpose training, and sparring gloves. Even, if someone chooses an all purpose training glove, they really should not use the same pair of gloves for pounding on bags, that they intend to use with their sparring partners.

:icon_chee

Combat sports offers a super bag glove for $30, and I'm sure you can find a good sparring glove for under $40. $70 is a lot, but calculate that to 365 days /$70 is actually a good price.

Yah. I've only heard to use different gloves for bag/mitts through forums. I'm not sure why my gym doesn't promote it. I hear about it a lot on a boxing forum that I'm on.. maybe because I'm at an MMA gym?

Anyways, I think I'm going to try out the IMF Tech bag gloves. I hear a lot of good things...

Definitely have more than one! I use 12's and 10's for pads/bag (though most of my gloves are actual fight gloves I just use for the bag) and 16's and 18's for sparring. It's always good to build your glove collection too. 12 pairs and counting :)

At almost every school I went to, almost everyone (except for the people who did competitions) used the same gloves for everything (pad/bag work, training, sparring).

SOME people had bag gloves but they only used them because they didn't want to destroy their sparring gloves. Most people used "all purpose" training gloves for pad/bag work, training and sparring.

The only guidelines most of the schools I went to gave was that, in order to spar, gloves had to be at least 14oz for average folks and at least 16 oz for bigger guys.

Yah, my gym requires at least 16oz. My gym isn't newb or anything either. They train pros and have pretty famous fighters coming through to train with the owner/trainers. Only a handful of people seem to care about gloves - couple people have Winning & Cletos.

Back