difference btwn wrestling and tackling

HeavyD99

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this is probably a stupid question but coming from someone who never wrestled but played football I thought I would ask if trainingith wrestling takedowns can make a big impact on tackling beastly running backs on the football field. What are the difference. A ufc fighter could probably take down adrian peterson in 2 seconds if he charged right at them in a fight but peterson would run right through most of them on the grid
iron. What prevents a huge running back from avoiding takedown the same way that he can power his way past big strong linebackers. If jerome bettis had enough running room to gain momentum could he just plow right past a takedown shot from a d1 wrestler

w

It's probably not a good idea to "shoot" against someone running full boar at you. However, something like a heavily modified ankle pick or low single could work. Again, it would have to be heavily modified for football. There are a lot of Amateur Wrestlers who get into football in college and even after their college bids. They'd probably have a better answer than me.

I think you're supposed to wrap up and drive through your opponent in each. but there's still differences.

So to try to answer your question, maybe. Worst case if you do either you get used to phyical contact and that helps you in either of them

It's probably not a good idea to "shoot" against someone running full boar at you. However, something like a heavily modified ankle pick or low single could work. Again, it would have to be heavily modified for football. There are a lot of Amateur Wrestlers who get into football in college and even after their college bids. They'd probably have a better answer than me.

yeah but correct me if I am wrong. it is those big dudes on the O and D line. they are starting inches away from each other, it is a pushing and shoving match. not like they are out there running and doublelegging people

with that said

YouTube - Tackle Chabal vs Masoe Amazing! Read Description Please!

I could watch that over and over again

The difference is that in football, you are taking down someone trying to run away from (or through) you. If you don't catch or grab the guy they succeed.

In wrestling, you are taking down someone who will engage you and will try to take you down and/or try to counter your moves. They have to engage you as part of the game.

Form tackles and double legs are both quite similar. What you see now a days in college and the nfl however, is completely different from either of those. The big difference is the level change and point of attack.

With a good form tackle you sit on your stool and explode through the point of attack, usually the lower rib area, and follow through with your arms and your head is up.

For the double the level change is even more exaggerated and after the point of attack your arms wrap the knee joints and you either pick up and drive, or cut the corner and drive.

Really a good tackle or double leg could be used in the other sport. However, the big difference you would see in your couple examples is momentum, the person with the most momentum is going to win at the point of impact, so the difference is who is attacking whom. in a fight the person initiating the takedown has more momentum so trying to run through it doesn't work as well as going with the momentum(sprawling), and on a football field both are usually moving and rarely are the tackler and runner running directly at each other as the runner will juke/cut.

Form tackles and double legs are both quite similar. What you see now a days in college and the nfl however, is completely different from either of those. The big difference is the level change and point of attack.

With a good form tackle you sit on your stool and explode through the point of attack, usually the lower rib area, and follow through with your arms and your head is up.

For the double the level change is even more exaggerated and after the point of attack your arms wrap the knee joints and you either pick up and drive, or cut the corner and drive.

Really a good tackle or double leg could be used in the other sport. However, the big difference you would see in your couple examples is momentum, the person with the most momentum is going to win at the point of impact, so the difference is who is attacking whom. in a fight the person initiating the takedown has more momentum so trying to run through it doesn't work as well as going with the momentum(sprawling), and on a football field both are usually moving and rarely are the tackler and runner running directly at each other as the runner will juke/cut.

Very nicely explained..

..I always say that the wrestling double leg and the football tackle is very similar. I've taken people down left and right from my football years. Bend at the knees, stick the chest out, explode and drive through. The big difference is in the setup and timing to get in position for the double leg. The little experience I have in pure wrestling, you have to get through the wrestler's clinch and positionning to attain the takedown, which is a whole different ball game from a running back trying to avoid you or run through you..

There are some rugby teams in Australia that train with BJJ and Judo coaches.

Also the running back doesn't have one hand/arm available to him because it's holding the ball and isn't looking to underhook or overhook anybody.

In most cases the running back is just trying to avoid you at all costs which is like running off the mat.

If it's a powerback they are just trying to run over the defensive back with pure size, speed and power so it would be like a LHW or HW (with one arm) wrestling a MW/WW.

this is probably a stupid question but coming from someone who never wrestled but played football I thought I would ask if trainingith wrestling takedowns can make a big impact on tackling beastly running backs on the football field. What are the difference. A ufc fighter could probably take down adrian peterson in 2 seconds if he charged right at them in a fight but peterson would run right through most of them on the grid
iron. What prevents a huge running back from avoiding takedown the same way that he can power his way past big strong linebackers. If jerome bettis had enough running room to gain momentum could he just plow right past a takedown shot from a d1 wrestler

w

Wrestling will help you build the explosive hip movements that will allow you to strike the ball carrier with more force. However I think that the line is where wrestling really can have an impact on the way you play. An O-lineman is trying to get his hands into your chest, and the D-lineman is trying to keep his hands off of him. There are many more situations.

But to answer your actual question, you have two different goals from each sport. Football it is about STOPPING an opponent and taking him down. This means that you need to hit them with as much force as possible, you want to hit your opponent with as much momentum as possible and upon impact you are to press your hips. In wrestling you do not need to STOP and opponent, in fact your opponent often moves backwards when you shoot. So your goal is to get in as deep into their hips as possible. But hey, thats just my opinion. I was also always a lineman, D and O.

good responses but that leads me to wonder if a powerfully built running back like prime Jerome Bettis competed in MMA would the top wrestlers be able to take him down if he charged right at them. The real question is if bigger stronger fighters will start to rely more on aggressive, powerful charges to defend the takedown as opposed to the sprawl.

yeah but correct me if I am wrong. it is those big dudes on the O and D line. they are starting inches away from each other, it is a pushing and shoving match. not like they are out there running and doublelegging people

with that said

YouTube - Tackle Chabal vs Masoe Amazing! Read Description Please!

I could watch that over and over again

look at 0:26 of that video.

look at how high he was. in rugby you can control the thighs on your tackle as you slide down so the guy cant run through your tackle.

the idea of a double leg i read is to hit them at the bends. so your shoulder would be at their waist bend, and your arms would be pulling behind their knee bends. (thats why people sprawl)

the similarity is restricting movement though.

good responses but that leads me to wonder if a powerfully built running back like prime Jerome Bettis competed in MMA would the top wrestlers be able to take him down if he charged right at them. The real question is if bigger stronger fighters will start to rely more on aggressive, powerful charges to defend the take down as opposed to the sprawl.

No because a good wrestler would not attempt a double leg with an opponent running at them. They would throw them, use their momentum against them to drop them on their head. I have had two guys try to run at me to be aggressive in a match, and both learned a lesson.

good responses but that leads me to wonder if a powerfully built running back like prime Jerome Bettis competed in MMA would the top wrestlers be able to take him down if he charged right at them. The real question is if bigger stronger fighters will start to rely more on aggressive, powerful charges to defend the takedown as opposed to the sprawl.

how could you defend a takedown with a charge when you don't know when the person is going to shoot?

Back