difference between jumping knee, and knee with a lift

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all you muay thai guys out there, was wondering if you could tell me. Is there a name for the kind of knee strike you do when you are in jabbing distance, not clinches, where you propel forward, and slam the knee into the side of the guys ribs, usually the feet leave the ground a little. This seems vastly different from the usual jumping knee, where the guy leaps in from distance and aims for the head or chest and straight on. Some one said they are both classes as jumping knee strikes. NOTE: both strikes are out of clinch, no clinching involved.

Would be pretty common to call it a 'step-up knee' but there's probably other names for it as well.

My trainer calls it a straight knee, but there's probably a bunch of other names for it. In regards to you saying you jump a little, the technique I'm thinking of just has the fighter standing on their toes while leaning back, no small jump otherwise that becomes a jumping knee, which is again different to a flying knee.

in one you tuck your not striking leg in like sagats "tiger knee" you put you hip way into the knee,in a leaping knee you focus more on propelling forward you dont jump up and get high air like tiger knee, you hind leg is kept more straight,tiger knees usually have nastier ko power .

leaping knees are less telegraphed too, easier to land.

Sounds like a straight knee, or step knee. You might also here it called a a Kou Trong, basicly a means straight or strong knee. That little lift, if they are not actually jumpiing, you are seeing is the fighter getting the base foot under their center so are are on balance and weight forward at contact.

Back