• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Diet soft drinks, new findings

G

goldee

being that anyone who bashes synthetic sugars gets dragged out as a tree hugger I ALWAYS said anything that is consumed and is synthetic is bad for your health, now comes a new study on the Yahoo front pages, please discuss.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070723/hl_hsn/studylinksdietsoftdrinkswithcardiacrisk

I think ANY substitute sugar is garbage, I say Honey or PURE cane sugar should be our sugar additives, I understand those with diabetes have no choice but the cover up's by big corp's comes out, they do short study's and LIE just as the USDA does to dig in our pockets.

A variety of explanations, none proven, have been proposed for the link between diet soft drink consumption and metabolic syndrome, Vasan said. That association was evident even when the researchers accounted for other factors, such as levels of saturated fat and fiber in the diet, total calorie intake, smoking and physical activity.

The only important paragraph in that whole report.

The only important paragraph in that whole report.

and this one:

Over the four years of the study, people who consumed more than one soft drink of any kind a day were 44 percent more likely to develop metabolic syndrome than those who didn't drink a soda a day.

That article has nothing to do with artificial sweeteners.

But this explains it well:

Vasan, who noted that he is not a nutritional expert, said he leans toward the theory that "this is a marker of dietary behavior" -- that people who like to drink sweet soda also like to eat the kind of foods that cardiac nutritionists warn against.
and:

Carefully controlled animal studies might resolve the cause-and-effect issue, he said.
No shit. Extrapolating a weak association from a meta-analysis is bullshit science. But the media always has an orgasm over crap like that, since they (and the general public) are only as smart as the last 2.7 second sound bite.

I'm still waiting for my brain cancer from aspartame or whatever.

Speaking of which the makers of Coke had the nerve to come out with VANILLA Coke Zero.

They are the Devil.

That article has nothing to do with artificial sweeteners.

But this explains it well:

and:

No shit. Extrapolating a weak association from a meta-analysis is bullshit science. But the media always has an orgasm over crap like that, since they (and the general public) are only as smart as the last 2.7 second sound bite.

OK, maybe I'm missing something. It says that "all participants were free of metabolic syndrome" then after four years, the ones that were drinking more than 1 soda a day were 44% more likely to show signs of metabolic syndrome.

And what does "more likely" mean anyhow? 44% actually showed 3 or more of the risk factors?

OK, maybe I'm missing something. It says that "all participants were free of metabolic syndrome" then after four years, the ones that were drinking more than 1 soda a day were 44% more likely to show signs of metabolic syndrome.

And what does "more likely" mean anyhow? 44% actually showed 3 or more of the risk factors?

perhaps im missing something too, I laugh because even the pro splenda crowd point to shaky studies that last 6 months to a year, this one shows 4 years and that those people where crap after!!

I'm still waiting for my brain cancer from aspartame or whatever.

Speaking of which the makers of Coke had the nerve to come out with VANILLA Coke Zero.

They are the Devil.

That is some good stuff! Diet Pepsi Jazz Caramel Cream is absolutely viscious though. Well worth the unproven risk of cancer/metabolic syndrome imo! :icon_chee

I prefer the strawberry Jazz.

when will 7 eleven get Coke Zero slurpees?? seriously... they dont even have diet ones in canada. pisses me off.

I saw this on Google news and immedaitely thought of all the hype and incorrect interpretations that will follow in my print paper tomorrow. Sigh...

You guys were right in zeroing in on the key paragraphs. Clearly, if you drink lots of soda (diet or otherwise) you are probably have other poor eating habits and may not exercise enough. That is the gist of the study, and it has nothing to do with singling out synthetic food ingredients as the cause of many people's health issues.

study after study shows the harmful affects of splenda and other artificial sweetners. My nephew had several sezures everytime he had too much splenda. word of advice..."THOSE WHO FAIL TO TAKE THE TIME TO BE HEALTHY WILL ULITMATELY HAVE TO TAKE THE TIME TO BE SICK." -Dr. James Chappell. Check out this video on u tube on how corrupt Bayer is, its a news report right off of msnbc http://youtube.com/watch?v=XS3mhjt7TrY

If GOD didn't make it then I don't want it. "GOD made everything to perfection and man screwed it all up!" -Lynelle E. Ortiz

Link != causation. Perhaps whatever causes metabolic syndrome also causes people to prefer diet sodas. Perhaps having metabolic syndrome causes people to prefer diet drinks (to easy their consciouses?)? Those might not be the actual reasons, but based on this study they are possible reasons.

perhaps im missing something too,

Vasan, who noted that he is not a nutritional expert, said he leans toward the theory that "this is a marker of dietary behavior" -- that people who like to drink sweet soda also like to eat the kind of foods that cardiac nutritionists warn against.

"But we cannot infer causality," Vasan said, meaning there is no proof that soda itself is the villain. "We have an association. Maybe it is a causal one or maybe it is a marker of something else."

You are missing something. The study blatantly claims that they have no proof that diet soda leads to cardiac risks. Apparently, there is some debate about caramel and insulin resistance but the leading theory in this study is that people who like soda EAT LIKE SHIT. It's an association, not the cause.

You are missing something. The study blatantly claims that they have no proof that diet soda leads to cardiac risks. Apparently, there is some debate about caramel and insulin resistance but the leading theory in this study is that people who like soda EAT LIKE SHIT. It's an association, not the cause.

I understand Monger but the Studies that are pro splenda are just as inconclusive saying they have no proof that its either ok or just plain bad, look at all the synthetic foods, they have a bad wrap sheet and I think based on that its smarter to stay away from it, Splenda is making too much money to be busy "finding" bad things.

Back