Did you ever trained like this?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of the guys here posted this in a thread:

"Try to train with the gi on and not to grab the opponents gi. It will perfect your movements becaqsue you arent as slippery, and yet youll still have to perfect your submissions without the use of clothing.

Alot of good gi grapplers dont always secure a tight grip. Hands wear out extremely fast in competition. Their is a time and place when to grab material. If you train never to grab the material youll find that you arent dependent on it."

What do you think about it?

I only really grab the gi for chokes, guard passes and 100 kilos side control. I learned the hard way you can get wristlocked if you are too grabby.

I do a lot of grappling with a Gi on vs a No-Gi opponent. It gives you the worst of both worlds - he can control you, do gi chokes etc...and you have no handles. It seems like the same way of thinking.

If the gi is there, use it.

b0b said:
If the gi is there, use it.
Dude i don't know which is worst your old AV or your new one..........LOL!!!

that's like getting 3 inches away from a pussy and then jacking off.

if it's there, you can't pass it up.

oh, and also, I get laid less often than I train with a gi on...and I train in an MMA/no gi grappling academy.

I can see the logic in it. the only problem i see is people would still grab the gi..by accident or because of habit, frustration..whatever..

Yeah I've trained like that, one of my instructors from Nova Uniao had us do drills like that. Really good for control.

Blake Bowman said:
that's like getting 3 inches away from a pussy and then jacking off.

if it's there, you can't pass it up.

The point of training isnt to win. So often do I put myself in the most misreable of positions jsut so I can learn to work out of a hard spot. I think whom ever suggested that type of training must be a real class act. Purposely putting yourself on the bottom; letting a blue belt starting on your back with hooks in ... can only serve to improve you. Pride is nothing in you dont progress with skill to back up that pride.

Often times I find it usefull to work within your injuries. I hurt my thumb ... I dont do chokes ... I hurt my knee ... I learn to use half guard.

I train with a gi sometimes against no gi opponents.

A lot of the time it still gives me an advantage because I can use it to slow the game down and make it more of a mental contest, so in situations where I am smaller and weaker I can make my experience pay off more than it would in straight no-gi.

Plus the ezekial is nice.

I think it is bollocks! the grip is extremly important to control the oponent, and if it is there use it. I sometimes train with the gi against no gi oponents but that is a diferent deal. if the other guys gi is there I use it.

It is a great way to train, one with Gi the otehr without, we do it regularly at the school. I have said before, the results aren't what you would necessarily expect. "If ya brought it to the fight (the Gi) use it! that goes for both of you"

ichimonji said:
The point of training isnt to win. So often do I put myself in the most misreable of positions jsut so I can learn to work out of a hard spot. I think whom ever suggested that type of training must be a real class act. Purposely putting yourself on the bottom; letting a blue belt starting on your back with hooks in ... can only serve to improve you. Pride is nothing in you dont progress with skill to back up that pride.

Often times I find it usefull to work within your injuries. I hurt my thumb ... I dont do chokes ... I hurt my knee ... I learn to use half guard.
I really think you missed the point of what I was saying...but I am really glad you were here to tell me the point of training. That should get me started when i take my second class next week. </sarcasm>

I meant if the gi is there, it's anti-instinct not to grab it if you're actually in a good roll

Back