• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did you ever suddenly lose interest in BJJ?

BJJ today emphasizes and prioritizes "kick-ass" aspect and as a budo it's way out of proportion. Some guys go to the gym just to lift weights and spar.

When Carlos Gracie Sr learned the art, Jiu-Jitsu was all about reaching your mental, physical, philosophical potentials by committing to experiments of self discipline and harmonizing with the great nature. The Gracie family no longer controls the art and correct ways have been missing.

When your sole purpose of training is to compete against other people just like anything commercially taught in our modern capitol era, you'll hit the end sooner or later.

After 35, You only get weaker and slower. The only motivated ones in the academy after this point are those who are making money.
Carlos Gracie was actually an evil piece of shit and life to him was all about fucking people over and abusing them. He scammed a banker out of his money and convinced him to let him impregnate the bankers wife with some retarded occult scam.

Worst case scenario you can just quit. Most people quit most things, it's all fine. Or go less often. I've been at 2x/week for a few years now, it's pretty damn great. I don't get injured, I feel like going every time, and I do all kinds of other shit I care about.

I can also appreciate some aspects of bullshido now that I'm older. I used to scoff at kata in my 20's and 30's but I now would like to learn and perform Judo nage no kata both for the tradition and to make a run at shodan after 27 years at brown.

Kata is good for working up a sweat, its not going to win you a tournament though!

You got to focus on learning something that can do some SERIOUS DAMAGE!!!

Kata is good for working up a sweat, its not going to win you a tournament though!

You got to focus on learning something that can do some SERIOUS DAMAGE!!!

Now will you train me?

Hai.

05pg45g9z3n61.jpg

Been training a little over 6 years, and a few months ago got my brown belt.

Through out those years I've consistently trained 4 to 5 days a week. Never had a serious injury that took me out for months. There were exceptions, but for the most part I was obsessed with jiu jitsu. Loved coaching and running classes wheb the professor wasn't going to make it, etc

But man.... last 2 months or so, it's like the fire is suddenly gone. I've been going once, maybe twice a week, and only to open mats. I'm becoming more and more relaxed about missing classes. And when I do go roll I'm not very motivated.

Not sure what is going on. I just turned 40 sure , but this sudden lack of interest was too sudden to chalk up to age.

I just don't want to sit thru warmups anymore. I'm tired of doing 2 or 3 techniques each class, it's repetitive, and suddenly I just want to skip all that and roll, if I even want to go at all.

I've always been one of the better guys at my academy , but due to my lack of motivation I'm getting caught in dumb subs by guys I was beating a couple of months ago without breaking a sweat.

What's going on? Is this permanent? Anyone else experienced this sudden change before?

If you aren't already on TRT, you may be suffering from low test? It is something that you could check out
When I was younger I would cycle a little for lifting comps and when off I definitely noticed a lack of enthusiasm in activities I normally enjoyed

It may not be that, but it is a possibly. Maybe do as others suggest, try training 3 x week and see how that works out or even don't train at all for a couple months.

I guarantee if you stay away from BJJ for an extended period you will be itching to get back

Maybe give yourself another goal for the next 12 weeks or so. Have you ever ran a marathon/half marathon?

There are plenty of ways to rekindle your motivation. I am 38 and know too well if you love something so much and train so long, you will eventually find a period when the magic isn't just there

To cut a long story short, I would step away from the matt for just a few weeks, it is not like you are going to forget what you learned like a white belt. Hey you might even find being a little rusty will light a fire in you to get back to your best

2 steps forward, one step back, then go again!

Good luck with whatever you decide

I am as good as i can get without finding a gym with good open mat time. I think BJJ classes are inefficent. The best way to learn is private lessons + youtube + open mat drilling. Most people just want to roll at open mat. Most gyms barely have open mat. Most BJJ classes have too many moves and too little coaching. So i am q little down on it right now because where i moved is pretty vacant.
Good post. Others informed posters in this forum have said the same thing, and I think it's true for the most part. The majority of the most talented grapplers I've trained with over the years stopped taking formal classes and trained on their own time with select training partners so they could get reps, work on specific weaknesses, etc. Plus, doing jumping jacks and the other bullshit warmups gets old and boring after awhile.

Yes but I go train anyways. I never leave class and regret going. I always have fun during the rolls and that's really all that matters. On top of that I mainly train for fitness so it's go to BJJ or just run on a treadmill\lift weights and both of those are way more boring.

Good post. Others informed posters in this forum have said the same thing, and I think it's true for the most part. The majority of the most talented grapplers I've trained with over the years stopped taking formal classes and trained on their own time with select training partners so they could get reps, work on specific weaknesses, etc. Plus, doing jumping jacks and the other bullshit warmups gets old and boring after awhile.

It might be hard to keep a gym running with a lot of open mat time and drilling encouraged. You'd almost certainly have purple belts giving free private lessons to white belts, teaching them hours of RNC and RNC escapes and how to hold posture and arm drag from guard and shit. They'd think the purple belt was a more informed teacher than the head man because they'd start smashing people who just came to class, and those people who didn't drill on their own time would think something was wrong with the group class. BJJ instructors are by and large a brave bunch of people who roll with new people and put themselves on the line, but they still have to be wary of the game and letting their advanced students generate loyalty from new customers.

At least I think that is what is going on.

For self defense it hardly matters. Group class is good enough for that so who really cares.

I just wish some of that workout time at the beginning was turned into open drilling time. I'd get a lot more out of classes that way.

But since I'm a big fat guy, anytime I go to a class where I'm not well known, they will always start the warmup with 50 pushups to try and wear me out. I have to make sure I can do 40-50 pushups before going to a class so I can outpace some of the regulars who will start protesting the sudden increase.

years ago when i got burnt out i started judo, and then i treated them like seasons almost-spend a few months going to one and hardly the other, compete, then switch my focus, it always kept me fresh

other things to try are some boxing and kickboxing, or assuming youve lifted before try different lifts, like a focus on the olympic lifts

random shit like getting a pair of rings and messing around, a mace, clubs

Aikido is bullshit, if he doesn't like drilling some random stuff his coach shows him I doubt he would like drill some stuff invested by japanese weirdos that doesn't even work.
If you have 10 years of Judo/ Wrestling, then Aikido works just fine.

The vast majority of Aikido practitioners are beginners in almost anything athletic.

If you have 10 years of Judo/ Wrestling, then Aikido works just fine.

The vast majority of Aikido practitioners are beginners in almost anything athletic.
Would you be able to use it when grappling yourself rather then horrible unbalancing some noob with your Judo and then wristlocking him?

Would you be able to use it when grappling yourself rather then horrible unbalancing some noob with your Judo and then wristlocking him?
Aikido is a lot more than just wristlocks.
Its about apprehending a person, putting him face down- the basics of all LEO training systems.
And yes, they do work, because the origins of Jiujitsu was exactly this.
Any authentic Jiujitsu videos you can find, illustrates that.
At its core, Aikido IS Jiujitsu.

Its all about sparrings.

Onq's right. Aikido doesn't work the way Aikido is taught, or the way Aikido dudes want to pretend it does, but Aikido techniques work super well with enough practice and in the proper context.

And like, yeah, there's diminishing returns against bigger/stronger/trained people, but that's the case for damn near every martial arts technique.

But the learning curve is really steep, and there's a pretty small margin for error. Plus, IRL you've gotta crank the *fuck* outta them wrists.

Shit works though.

What's going on? Is this permanent? Anyone else experienced this sudden change before?

I've been in the same boat for about a year. Moved to SLC from Iowa to teach Science. Was gonna join the local gym, ended up coaching wrestling. When I had time for a hobby, it was snowboarding. I'd been thinking about starting back up again over Summer break but there's so much awesome hiking and climbing around, and i've already got my season passes for next winter and really don't wanna risk being too hurt to enjoy those.

Back in Iowa, there's not shit to do during the Summer except float down a river and drink beer, and even less to do in the winter. Training was the funnest/cheapest hobby.

I miss training, I don't miss all the nagging injuries.

Shit changes. Give yourself the grace of a break. A hobby that isn't fun anymore is just another obligation.

Back