Did UFC bribe Mike Tyson not to fight in Pride?

That was actually somewhat earlier when Tyson was hyping potential appearances in K-1, personally I tend to think he didn't really have the intension of appearing in either but the orgs knew his presense would draw interest.

Vince wanted him to work a match with Stone Cold at WM but Mike didn't have a "good feel" for pro wrestling

Tyson could have starched a lot of people if he was hungry for violence

He is telling the truth http://www.extremeprosports.com/full_contact_fighting/mike_tyson_pride_fighting.html But I don't know that he was ever really going to fight.
From that article....

"Tyson is expected to box an exhibition on a Pride Fighting Championship mixed martial arts card, though the date and site are not determined. Pride has a card scheduled for the Thomas & Mack Center on Oct. 21, though Tyson reportedly will not fight on that show.

"However, Tyson...isn't planning to join Pride."

Some of my favorite moments from childhood were watching Tyson fights with my family. The end of his career became painful to watch. 2006 was after he was done with boxing. And, we are talking about a different sport. And, you are talking about matching him up with Crocop or Fedor?

If Tyson came up today though and crossed over into MMA, then GOAT easily.

What would stop tyson from taking the money and signing anyways??
Pride was paying decent money back then...but nothing close to what Mike was used to. They couldn't have paid him much for exhibition boxing matches.

Some of my favorite moments from childhood were watching Tyson fights with my family. The end of his career became painful to watch. 2006 was after he was done with boxing. And, we are talking about a different sport. And, you are talking about matching him up with Crocop or Fedor?

If Tyson came up today though and crossed over into MMA, then GOAT easily.
That last fight with McBride pissed me off and broke my heart at the same time. Seein' him in there trying to revert to the peek a boo looking stiff and basically like a sitting duck was hard to watch. And against a bum for cryin out loud. No disrespect to McBride but the real Tyson would have run through him. It was hard to be upset with Mike though because he kept it real.

tyson hadn't even been a good boxer for ~10-15 years at that point. and he was never anywhere near as good as his reputation - the moment the HW division had some good boxers (holyfield, moorer, returned foreman, bowe, lewis, etc) - he was exposed. badly.

if you thought the toney spectacle was bad, tyson would have probably been worse somehow. hell, his refereeing in wcfc was hilariously terrible - he was trying to stand people up in the middle of submissions. he had no idea at all.

edit: and funny enough, this thread made me realize francis ngannau (sp?) is just bob sapp 2.0 - a powerhouse until mentally broken...

Last edited:
tyson hadn't even been a good boxer for ~10-15 years at that point. and he was never anywhere near as good as his reputation - the moment the HW division had some good boxers (holyfield, moorer, returned foreman, bowe, lewis, etc) - he was exposed. badly.

if you thought the toney spectacle was bad, tyson would have probably been worse somehow. hell, his refereeing in wcfc was hilariously terrible - he was trying to stand people up in the middle of submissions. he had no idea at all.

edit: and funny enough, this thread made me realize francis ngannau (sp?) is just bob sapp 2.0 - a powerhouse until mentally broken...
I know. Tyson is just as pathetic just like CM Punk and all the other A-level UFC fighters...

What would stop tyson from taking the money and signing anyways??
they offered him alot more Money to not fight, not even for them in the UFC!
The Money was to much so he could not resist to just take it and not fight but starting playing in films and make stand up motivational Shows...

I don’t know that Tyson could have saved Pride from the Yakuza. No matter how many of them he knocked out.

Tyson himself had a criminal history and was not eligible to compete in Japan.
He wasn’t even allowed to enter Japan.
It wasn’t Pride, it was K1 that was interested in him.

Bob Sapp and Tyson had “words” after an event in Nevada.
It was all for show.

im an OG fan, watched Pride since the start. i never heard of Tyson signing anything to fight in Pride. All i know he was hyping a potential fight with Bob Sapp which never materialized.

Mike Tyson punches harder than all UFC fighters in history.

If Mike Tyson walked into your gym, then that would be a very good starting point as far as potential goes.

An old Herschel Walker won his MMA fights. He was a football player.

Brock Lesnar was a beginner to jiu jitsu and lost to Frank Mir the 1st time.

Ronda Rousey was a complete beginner in boxing and kick boxing.

Mike Tyson would have knocked out Stipe Miocic with this same punch that Cormier threw.

Look at this weak shit that Cormier threw. Mike Tyson's punch would have been lights out.

Mike Tyson punches harder than all UFC fighters in history.

If Mike Tyson walked into your gym, then that would be a very good starting point as far as potential goes.

An old Herschel Walker won his MMA fights. He was a football player.

Brock Lesnar was a beginner to jiu jitsu and lost to Frank Mir the 1st time.

Ronda Rousey was a complete beginner in boxing and kick boxing.

Mike Tyson would have knocked out Stipe Miocic with this same punch that Cormier threw.

Look at this weak shit that Cormier threw. Mike Tyson's punch would have been lights out.

>would...

yes Iron mike hits harder than any MMA fighter ever, maybe even harder than any boxer ever... maybe...

Do you really think that he would have had even the slightest chance to catch Stipe like DC did?

K1 tried to do Tyson Vs Sapp in the US, Pride lost their Japanese TV deal in 2005, that made them want to go to the US were the UFC were was making money now because of Spike, TUF & PPVs all doing well by 2006, the UFC and others knew Pride were doing poorly, they had a Las Vegas backer help them do Pride 32 & 33 who they ended up being sued by. They wanted Tyson for publicity for Pride 32, they spoke to him about doing an exception fight at Shockwave but Tyson was banned from Japan for the sexual assault conviction and they spoke of running a regular Pride show and have Tyson fight someone in Macao as well during the broadcast, that didn't happen, Fuji TV or other broadcast networks still weren't interested and they sold to Zuffa 3 months later.

The UFC knew Pride were in trouble, the UFC even spoke of taking Wand on loan and let them do a face off with Chuck after he beat Babalu again on a UFC broadcast.

Mike was never going to fight MMA, he signed to do publicity.

Someone said he would do "a series of boxing exhibitions against Pride fighters" but that obviously never happened.

Tyson went to a press conference (as I recall) for Pride back when they were setting things up to do their first American show, he was asked point blank if he would fight and he said no.

Sounds somewhat par for the course to me in terms of the shady shit that went on with Pride's owners/management.

But for what it's worth I would have LOVED to see Mike put on those blue gloves. He would have been dangerous in the cage and definitely could have won fights, especially with a little basic sprawl training.

(He was a street fighter before he was a boxer and he was built like a tank with a low center of gravity and he was willing to bite people.... the man was a fighter)

A level Olympic athlete
A level world champion pro boxer
Amazing footwork, head movement, defense, balance, strength, granite chin, genius level understanding of boxing fundamentals, technique and history
Unique "peek-a-boo" style (which Cus had also taught to Floyd Paterson)
Plenty of aggression
Well versed in fight camps, disciplined when he wanted to be.
One shot KO power in either hand
Could fight extremely well from either stance, used advanced footwork/shifting to close distance and open up power punches from a variety of angles

he was signed just to do publicity, I'm not sure he can enter Japan, and I don't think they had many plans for him in the States aside from doing PR.

Wasn't he told he couldn't compete in Japan due to his convictions, I'm sure that's what happened.

Tyson versus some random pro wrestler would have been fun, unleash some uppercuts.

It was k-1 who was trying to deal with him,to fight Bob Sapp...and it fell through obviously...but UFC wouldnt give him money not to fight. Thats stupid.

Back