• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did Tyson "carry" Roy Jones a little

champbless2

Seraldo Babalu
Banned
Reaction score
He mostly went for the body and i had a feeling he coulded have break his face if he wanted to.

It was obvious Tyson held his punches.
I've seen a few short right crosses landing after bobing and weaving peakaboo style that landed at like 20% power.
Punches that have been a KO ( at least very hard knock downs but considering Roy's age ... ) if thrown full power...

But whatever this wa sa legend exhib, and honestly it was entertaining.
They still have great boxing/reflexes/speed for their ages.

Both were speed based fighters too, so the kind that deteriorate the most with age as speed and reaction time are the first things to go.
Tyson, honestly, still has crazy speed, that put into perspective his speed back then, when he was like even 25+% faster.
Ungodly speed in his prime.

Everybody worried about Roy, what about my ancient arse? lol

That was hard to watch. Mutch Harder then I expected. That event maybe the greatest hustle of the decade!

Tyson lost most of his muscle mass, and he lost much of his power 15 years ago. He does not step into his punches like bef
That was hard to watch. Mutch Harder then I expected. That event maybe the greatest hustle of the decade!

I thought it was better than expected. I thought Mike would be gassed in round 2.

Definitely held back. There was one moment early on when I said out loud “That’s when he would have knocked him out in a real fight” because he clearly had a huge opening and threw a punch with about 25% of his power, lightly giving Roy a smack.

I think they did the right thing, and it was fun to watch. They used the perfect amount of force to be entertaining but without something terrible happening.

I don't think so. He ripped Jones's body and he was definitely throwing hard meaningful shots. it was a really good fight and only Jones's end really read like an exhibition. Jones was looking really hurt in the post fight interview. I hope he doesn't do this again, especially with Tyson.

The rules were obviously no hard shots to the head. They only threw left jabs up top. In the second during a clinch tyson started for the head with a right, caught himself, and pulled back. I turned off after that.

He mostly went for the body and i had a feeling he coulded have break his face if he wanted to.

Yes. I said the same thing. Tyson clearly didn't want to hurt Roy and went easy on him. Tyson barely through any head punches.

The rules were obviously no hard shots to the head. They only threw left jabs up top. In the second during a clinch tyson started for the head with a right, caught himself, and pulled back. I turned off after that.

Watch the highlights on ESPN... mike is winging haymakers to Jones head, just didn't land any.

That said, I do think he was trying to hold back on the head shots, just got carried away sometimes.

That was Tyson trying. Why expect a guy with a career of body punching to not body punch. Even Roy afterward acknowledged the power in those punches.

Tyson didnt go easy on him ... Roy Jones Jr just abused the easy to abuse strategy in boxing ...

.. holding.

Every time Tyson got closer than Jab range ... jones Jr would grab Tyson.

There was more holding and grabbing in this "boxing" fight than most MMA fights.

Its a shame boxing hasnt done anything to change this lame and stupid tactic that is made to completely avoid combat.

Back