Did the UFC rush Usman vs Masvidal 2 to piggyback off Askren vs Paul promotion?

Shoden

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me that the UFC saw Askren vs Paul happening.....knew they were gonna get a shitload of hype, so they decide to book Masvidal vs Usman 2, a week later because Masvidal KTFO Askren.....They thought this was perfect hype for Masvidal, since the only thing Askren truly was known before the jake paul fight, was being a highlight reel for masvidal...that was his most known role to the normies who saw that gif like a million times.

I wouldn't be surprised if the this was the UFC strategy, since they did rush to making this fight...the Paul vs Askren fight was already announced, they purposefully put it a week after.

So yeah, UFC used Askren as a promo.

tenor.gif

Maybe your onto something because the fight was originally planned for September, If I remember correctly and then it changed all of the sudden

It would be embarrassing if Jake Paul outsold the UFC, which is entirely possible.

It's a completely pointless rematch. Literally nobody after that fight ended thought a rematch was appropriate.

It would be embarrassing if Jake Paul outsold the UFC, which is entirely possible.

OOO and that's the other thing...UFC probably thought Askren was gonna win, Dana White did.

So they thought Askren will beat Jake Paul....get a shitload of publicity, which hype will rub on Masvidal since he KTFO Askren

Reactions: G10
Nah, a lot of this came from Usman, he felt good and wanted to come back right away. Usman wanted the Masvidal which is the biggest fight for him moneywise, and Masvidal of course wanted that. They would've booked asap regardless of that situation.

They are definitely rushing it, but not for that reason. It’s a cash grab, hoping to get one last pay day while Masvidal still has some steam.

Meh. Buncha ignorant ass fools woulda bought to see that circus. As of now it’s being calculated to have sold between 1.2 to 1.6 million.

Usman/Mas first fight sold 1.3 mill. This card has 3 title fights. Good lord I hope it sells more.

Meh. Buncha ignorant ass fools woulda bought to see that circus. As of now it’s being calculated to have sold between 1.2 to 1.6 million.

Usman/Mas first fight sold 1.3 mill. This card has 3 title fights. Good lord I hope it sells more.
Us/Mas 1 did 1.3 with Aldo/Yan Max/Volk supporting and it was the debut of fight Island. Unless Masvidal and Usman have skyrocketed in popularity, the fight might not break a million.

The majority of those tuning in were Jakes fans already so it’s to be expected as an established celebrity is fighting.

Boxing’s second biggest PPV in the past decade was with an MMA guy.

is normal

Sounds plausible to me it was as simple as do the rematch because the first fight did something like 1.3m buys.

Probably a lucky coincidence. They wanted a big fight for the first show back with fans in Florida, so they booked a rematch of last year’s biggest fight that happens to feature two Florida residents.

Back