Did Robbie Lawler deliberately let his left arm be trapped?

loyalyolayal

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i7P9wMv0k0ywQ.gif

Looks like he was baiting Jake to trap his arm?

If so, why? Any of you guys do this? Or in a situation that calls for an arm to be trapped?

Or did he assume that Jake doesn't have the grappling acumen(submission wise)to threaten him?

It seems like it, but it also seems like he rested his arm and then rolled with it as soon as it happened.

He had already cleared and pinned the far leg with his own legs, and may have wanted to use the "trapped" arm as a hook on the escape to stop Jake from coming up to half guard.

He puts himself right in the crucifix, but maybe he thought Jake's ground control was too weak to make use of it.

Could have just been a happy coincidence too.

Trapping the arm like this is not always a good idea. If you're not careful, your opponent can push of your leg with his trapped arm to scoot down and escape.

Or what Robbie Lawler did works too. Notice how he's stepping on Jake's foot when escaping to prevent Jake from following him and glue his leg to the mat. Very nice escape.

Another nice detail is how fast he reacts to Jake getting the underhook. Definitely knew what to expect.

Don't really know tbh. Can't wait for lawler to destroy brown tho. End that hype train in a hurry once he finally has to fight a top ten guy. Lawler KO in the first

Edit: it does seem like he wanted jakes leg over his arm tho so he could use it to twist himself around tho

Find it odd that Lawler turned the wrong way once he'd escaped the back control. Someone more savvy could have had his back again.

Anyone else percepted a sarcastic smile in Robbie's face as soon as he does that ?

I don't think he gave the arm up on purpose. I think he was trying to defend against the hook and got caught. Its a pretty bad idea to put yourself in a crucifix. If you can spin around and reverse, why not just do it when your opponent doesn't have any hooks or any limbs trapped.

Watching live (as in stream not in venue) it looked very much like he was outright laughing.

Find it odd that Lawler turned the wrong way once he'd escaped the back control. Someone more savvy could have had his back again.

Same here, made me think it isn't an escape he does often and Ellenberger was just mentally broken. He could've had side control if he just turned back towards the legs, Nate Diaz looks for that reversal all the time.

its a popular way to escape back control or leg rides in wrestling, you push their ankle or leg away and move your hips away from theirs, either to get on top of them like Robbie did or to to face your hips towards the mat by their ankles and essentially get inside their guard

notice robbie also stepped on ellenbergers ankle, which is another common part of a leg ride escape

i do this all the time when someone has my back but against someone good sometimes i get in trouble

Yes after watching that several times Robbie clearly baited the leg hook. Ruthless can wrestle.

Once Robbie got the one hook out and was able to step on Jake's ankle with his foot, he was essentially out. Not sure why he didn't just hip heist then. He definitely did it deliberately. But as someone said before, it is leg riding defense in wrestling.

I sometimes bait a leg hook in similar situations to move to deep half guard.

Back