Did Pat Barry Just Out-Think Marc Montoya?

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So Dustin Jacoby took R1 in the fight with Alonzo, and he did so with a varied offence that saw him land all 12 of 12 kicks thrown. Dustin also had Alonzo biting on every single feint with his hands.

He goes back to his corner.

Montoya says "hands before kicks", so Dustin comes out and drops that part of his game and ends up in a boxing match with a monster like Menifield.

Pat Barry, for his part, picked out the obvious: stop winging, start punching straighter. Make the actions smaller, reach the target faster.

Menifield comes out and wins 2 straight rounds against a superior kickboxer who is no longer kickboxing, but largely just boxing - and what few kicks he does now throw, Menifield throws roughly the same amount and lands them harder.

I'm wondering: did Montoya just get that wrong, and Pat Barry out-coach him tonight?

And yeah, I'm sure Marc was concerned about getting countered on a leg kick, but... it wasn't looking too likely, was it?

Final statement: Pat Barry tells Alonzo to 'draw him in' in R3, so he acts kinda shaky in the early stages, then lands the winning blow.

Well done Pat?

Some people just make better trainers than fighters I guess?

Naw Groomer is just lucky Menifield his much harder

Jacoby was looking damn good in the 3rd round doing exactly what his coach told him, until he got caught. Don't know how much of that is Barry's advice or just Menifield being a friggin mini Ngannou

Even if Barry did outcoach him so what? You can be intelligent and be a sexual predator at the same time. Look at our politicians!

Back