Rumored Did mma jiu jitsu got worse?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jon fitch said this, at the time i was thinking. Ha what a loser, takedown defence just got better... But after watching marreta vs glover im really starting to think the top guys are not paying attention to jiu jitsu.

Jon fitch said this, at the time i was thinking. Ha what a loser, takedown defence just got better... But after watching marreta vs glover im really starting to think the top guys are not paying attention to jiu jitsu.

What are you talking about? Marreta survived nearly 2 rounds on the ground because he had nice BJJ defense.

right cos one fight absolutley defines this

Alot fighters in MMA these days dont have their BJJ or gurappling tested thats the truth. Theres alot more purely standup fights specially at the top of divisions

Look at WW for example. There was a point where Maia and Paul Harris dropped down and was running through and submitting everyone...........

Im not sure if its "worse" but one of the biggest myths of modern MMA is the "improvement of submission defense". Even someone like Cain years ago was supposed to have sturong submission defense according to his batshit crazy stans........but he was never tested. Then we saw what happened when he fought Werdum.

Just look @ LHW/HW and all the ranked fighters there...........theres almost no one with tested or good sub gurappling. Alot of sturikers or mediocre defensive fighters.

FW is next up............we're gonna see what Hall and Bryce can do to that division

Most fights don’t have drawn out grappling exchanges, getting takedowns and being in a dominant position is more important. BJJ is better for a no time limit fight

Alot fighters in MMA these days dont have their BJJ or gurappling tested thats the truth. Theres alot more purely standup fights specially at the top of divisions

Look at WW for example. There was a point where Maia and Paul Harris dropped down and was running through and submitting everyone...........

Im not sure if its "worse" but one of the biggest myths of modern MMA is the "improvement of submission defense". Even someone like Cain years ago was supposed to have sturong submission defense according to his batshit crazy stans........but he was never tested. Then we saw what happened when he fought Werdum.

Just look @ LHW/HW and all the ranked fighters there...........theres almost no one with tested or good sub gurappling. Alot of sturikers or mediocre defensive fighters.

FW is next up............we're gonna see what Hall and Bryce can do to that division
Werdum has like world class BJJ offense though. Someone can have strong defense, like Fedor, and still get tapped.

It's because fighters are learning how to use footwork and distance management better to prevent takedowns, but once it hits the ground, a lot of these guys are lacking. Whether the level of BJJ has gotten worse or not, I'm not sure, but It definitely hasn't gotten better in my opinion.

It's because fighters are learning how to use footwork and distance management better to prevent takedowns, but once it hits the ground, a lot of these guys are lacking. Whether the level of BJJ has gotten worse or not, I'm not sure, but It definitely hasn't gotten better in my opinion.

I think this is true too. There's only so much time in a week for the fighters to hone their skills. In recent times training TDD and footwork probably is seen as more important than putting in Mat Time for pure BJJ.

There also was a time that BJJ was seen as useless because strong wrestlers would just maintain top position and win rounds.

A few years back the UFC started pushing strikers over grapplers. This caused grapplers to strike more in order to gain ranking and popularity. This caused strikers to rise to the top. This caused a lack of grappling talent. This is why anyone with a semblance of grappling can now dominate if they actually use it.

Maybe all the fighers are so well versed in BJJ, its almost useless because everyone is good at it.

Jujitsu has gotten worse. And by that I mean, Jujitsu as it applies to fighting (which is the point of it.) Comps are all guys pulling guard and playing footsy, very few realistic fighting positions. MMA fighters don't practice very seriously, or if they do, they don't consider what works well in the cage vs what doesn't.

Yeah the wrestling and getting up once taken down is getting better.

In particularly fighters are a lot better at using the cage to defend takedowns and using it to get up.

Also these rules of 5 min rounds, automatic stand up at the start of each round and ref stand ups make it harder for people to use BJJ hence why u see more striking in UFC fights.

Jujitsu has gotten worse. And by that I mean, Jujitsu as it applies to fighting (which is the point of it.) Comps are all guys pulling guard and playing footsy, very few realistic fighting positions. MMA fighters don't practice very seriously, or if they do, they don't consider what works well in the cage vs what doesn't.

When top level BJJ fighters have gotten MMA fighters on the ground they've generally done very well against them still, the issue I would say is that far fewer of them are moving across and those that do often leave it late and don't fully commit to it the way Nog, Werdum, Jacare, etc did.

BJJ/Sub grappling has become a much richer sport than it was in the 90's and early 00's(unless you name was Gracie) and MMA has become much less interested in going after elite talent from it early.

if Adesanya becomes champ champ then the bjj pendulum has obviously swung far away from the days Silva was sub-ing Henderson and the like

not sure what it means though

I dunno... you don’t see fools going for berimbolos or playing footsies...

I don’t think it’s because of modern IBJJF competitions or whatever, I think everyone has better wrestling which makes BJJ an afterthought for most, they know just enough to survive and catch lucky subs...

Very few, true BJJ stars spend enough time tweaking their game FOR MMA. Ortega, Maia, Ryan and Paul Harris have, and all are good.

Promoters incentivize striking because the public likes striking. The casual audience is not as educated in the sport as people try and make it seem. Even in 2020 to the casual audience grappling is 2 guys hugging each.

Casuals wants blood baths and knock outs.

I'd say in general TDD defense is better. But it being better came at the cost of grappling in general. Give take thing.

Just my opinion.

zKKEnZy.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Caim showed better submission defense than Fedor did lol

Dead tired and still escaped one guillotine

Tdd is being favoured over Bjj skills thus the bjj skills of most fighter getting weaker

Back