Did Maia ever try to attack off his back tonight?

Andrei Orlovski

UFC black belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've watched the first two rounds and switched the channel so I cant tell about the next 3 rounds but did Maia ever try to attack Shields off his back? I checked his UFC record and he probably has like maybe 1 submission off his back.

He was setting up a triangle at one point (but didn't attempt it really) and switched his hips for an armbar or a pendulum sweep in round 2/3 but I didn't see much other than that besides his half guard sit out.

I remember on trialngle attempt off his back, also maybe a kimura but I think it was just for positioning.

I remember on trialngle attempt off his back, also maybe a kimura but I think it was just for positioning.

this. Shields was definitely the aggressor, while maia fought off everything shields threw at him.

Of course! Just because nothing obvious developed, it doesn't mean that he wasn't attempting any offense. Shields was just doing a tremendous job of smothering stifling any offensive momentum Maia was trying to get going.

Shields constant guard pass attempts made the windows of opportunities few and far between.

Shields was pressuring extremely well. Maia couldn't make the space to attack submissions.

I've watched the first two rounds and switched the channel so I cant tell about the next 3 rounds but did Maia ever try to attack Shields off his back? I checked his UFC record and he probably has like maybe 1 submission off his back.

Its not always about the submission, UFC awards points for "Octagon Control" Maia controlled Shields off his back, utilized over hooks effictively, broke down Jakes posture and took very little damage. Shields top game consisted of vain attempts at passing/actively maintaining dominant position. Maia won on the feet all three rounds easy.

Jake didn't let him. Same when Maia was on top, they really cancel each other out.

Its not always about the submission, UFC awards points for "Octagon Control" Maia controlled Shields off his back, utilized over hooks effictively, broke down Jakes posture

It's like we watched 2 different fights.

he fought a very bad fight today. didn't seem anything close to the maia that outgrappled fitch and story completely.

Back