Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

I don't know about shatter, but without a doubt he threw some water on it. I honestly never did think that Jones would be as successful at HW, and after this fight I was thinking about making a similar thread to see if anyone else was thinking along the same lines.

He would easily beat some of the lower to mid-tier guys but a top 5? I don't see it.

Even before the Gus fight I thought it was clear Jones would not do well at HW.

Well, Gus has speed and cardio that no HW has combined. I mean, I could see Jones beating the crap out of middle tier guys at heavyweight, but he's never going to compete with the likes of JDS or Cain.

:eek: WUT!!!!!

I see several heavyweights beating Jones.

Not Cain or Cormier, but guys like JDS, Struve if he comes back, Werdum, Nelson depending on how his TDD is against Cormier, maybe if Overeem.

None of these guys are guaranteed to beat Jones, but I think they all I have decent chances.

Listed in likelihood of their victory. Though I've thought all those guys gave him trouble before he fought Gus.

I would personally love to see him and JDS mix it up.

I love to watch JDS fight anyway.

Jones would not be able to bully the HWs around the way he does the LHWs. Do you honestly see him ragdolling Cain, JDS, DC or Barnett? They're a much different breed of animals than Shogun, Lyoto, Rampage and Rashad.

He'd still be a top 5 HW imo. He wouldn't beat Cain or JDS though

I think everybody knows what would have happened if Gus had a decent HW's KO power in his hands on saturday night..

Can anyone imagine what would have happened if JDS landed his patented OHR on Jones in the first ??
Almost everyone at HW has major KO power, and they are on average much bigger than LHW fighters so..

I think he could be a bottom top 10 HW but I have troubles seeing him beating the top 5-6 ..
And he could get finished by anyone with decent power and long reach wich could as bizarre as it may seems include people like Schaub or Mitrione ( even if would be haevily favored ofc )

I'm in the majority here. He would not be dominant in the hw division like he is in lhw. Gus proved that it takes courage to beat him and the hw fighters hit much harder than Gus.

Bones would breeze through the HW division IMO.

The only guy to maybe trouble him would be Barnett.

Before the fight I was already skeptical. Had this idea he was running through LHW's because of physical advantages, and low and behold, when he runs into someone of similar proportions (but still skilled, mind you), he has major problems. It's an eye-opener. I don't want to take credit away from Gus, I'm sure he trained his ass off, but when you look at both fighters and how well the did in their past fights respectively, one guy clearly dominated, often without getting hurt in the process.

That tells me if he moves up, legs filled out or not, many HW's would wreck him. Especially if that was the extent of his striking defense, turning your head away AFTER getting struck and displaying next to no footwork. Yikes...

I used to think a 240 lbs Jones could take the HW belt one day, but now I'm not so sure he can beat Cain or JDS. I still think he has a good shot against everyone else though.

117028551.jpg

Can you retards please make up your mind if Jones is too big for LHW and should fight men his own size or if he's too small for HW.

Like seriously, your stupidity goes beyond time and space.

Your posts are obnoxious and you are a clown.

Probably no one cares about a possible Silva-Jones match-up anymore, as both of them have been humbled recently.

Jones would do alright at heavyweight.. but he would also get knocked out. I cannot wait to see that happen :D

gus and jones easily have the talent to be title contenders in the ufc heavyweight division.

This is exactly why I don't appreciate when guys talk about how "weak" the HW division is. It's the division with by FAR the largest weight gap (205 - 265) and I think people really underestimate how much even modest weight differences matter.

If HW was so weak, we'd see way more LHWs move up - given that HWs are typically the glamour division in any kind of combat sport. I'm not sure about the facts but I would wager there are way less fighters who move up to HW than is the case in other divisions.

Back