Did GSP’s offensive submission game have some oppurtunities?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think for someone as well rounded as GSP he could probably have done more to submit his opponents on the ground.

He was able to submit a rocked Hughes and a rocked Bisping.

But in the Hardy and Condit fights. Both of those guys have been submitted by lesser men than GSP. Hardy multiple times.

I can’t help but think that GSP would have taken less damage In the Condit fight if he looked for the submission early.

georges-st-pierre-dan-hardy-ufc-111-1.jpg

hi-res-6759648_crop_exact.jpg

It is hard to say in hindsight. He could have finished more fights, but he also could have lost position and given his opponents opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have had. Personally I favour the 'position over submission' mindset.

Reactions: G10
GSP dove on submissions at the end of rounds
purely strategical to make it look like he didn't lay and pray for a full 5 mins

The guy is universally considered a top 5 GOAT, with many thinking he's #1. Trying to nitpick seems silly given how successful he was. Could he have submitted more people? Perhaps. It's difficult to say, as not everyone is blessed with a great submission game. GSP was clearly a "position over submission" kind of fighter, and you can't argue with the results.

Back