1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Did GSP’s offensive submission game have some oppurtunities?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Garnet_StrongerThanYou, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Garnet_StrongerThanYou Brown Belt

I think for someone as well rounded as GSP he could probably have done more to submit his opponents on the ground.

He was able to submit a rocked Hughes and a rocked Bisping.

But in the Hardy and Condit fights. Both of those guys have been submitted by lesser men than GSP. Hardy multiple times.

I can’t help but think that GSP would have taken less damage In the Condit fight if he looked for the submission early.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SeaChad Orange Belt

He was a beast.

3. Matthew Fedler Professional Fighter Professional Fighter

It is hard to say in hindsight. He could have finished more fights, but he also could have lost position and given his opponents opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have had. Personally I favour the 'position over submission' mindset.

G10 likes this.
  4. BestPosterNA Yellow Card Yellow Card

GSP dove on submissions at the end of rounds
    purely strategical to make it look like he didn't lay and pray for a full 5 mins

5. laleggenda27 Brown Belt

The guy is universally considered a top 5 GOAT, with many thinking he's #1. Trying to nitpick seems silly given how successful he was. Could he have submitted more people? Perhaps. It's difficult to say, as not everyone is blessed with a great submission game. GSP was clearly a "position over submission" kind of fighter, and you can't argue with the results.