• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did Frank Shamrock build Strikeforce??

I don't know, I don't think Frank was a big enough name to really carry an organization like Fedor. I'm sure they wanted him to, but it was Fedor that showed the world that they can really get the big names, or so I thought.
...yes
But strikeforce had 23 events before Fedor debuted for them...and Fedor and M1 went with Affliction.

Somebody had to ride the horse between 06-09...and put it on the map

Frank as example, was put on the posters on MainEvented, did stuff backstage...when Fedor came, Frank was already commentating and wearing braceless

Some might say...UFC got off with Conor, which is true...other will side is...Ronda was before...before that...maybe Anderson...Brock...
no no...TUF...Tito..Frank,actually...dark days(?)...ROYCE (thats were it started)

But also the question here is not if Frank was as big as Royce or so...
Royce put everthing on the map...everything we watch today

Was Frank the guy/fighter who put strikeforce on the map that got them all the other stuff?

If not...who else?

..they got it before Fedor

Fedor helped as well even though he went 1-3 in Strikeforce.

Daniel Cormier, at the time was known as Black Fedor. He competed 8 times in Strikeforce winning all 8 fights. He is best known for winning the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.
DTYYR4AUMAAGqmC.jpg

...yes
But strikeforce had 23 events before Fedor debuted for them...and Fedor and M1 went with Affliction.

Somebody had to ride the horse between 06-09...and put it on the map

Frank as example, was put on the posters on MainEvented, did stuff backstage...when Fedor came, Frank was already commentating and wearing braceless

Some might say...UFC got off with Conor, which is true...other will side is...Ronda was before...before that...maybe Anderson...Brock...
no no...TUF...Tito..Frank,actually...dark days(?)...ROYCE (thats were it started)

But also the question here is not if Frank was as big as Royce or so...
Royce put everthing on the map...everything we watch today

Was Frank the guy/fighter who put strikeforce on the map that got them all the other stuff?

If not...who else?

..they got it before Fedor

Maybe. It's just hard to say you know, Frank was inactive for like 7 years, he fought TWICE against a regional competition at best. And Frank never really had the following like PRIDE guys either.

All I can say is just my thoughts and experience. I THINK that's what Strikeforce tried to do with Shamrock. Maybe it succeeded. But it was only when Fedor came onboard, that I took them more seriously. Maybe it was just me though, could've been different from different folks like @AmericanMMA

giphy.gif

Fedor helped as well even though he went 1-3 in Strikeforce.

Daniel Cormier, at the time was known as Black Fedor. He competed 8 times in Strikeforce winning all 8 fights. He is best known for winning the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.
DTYYR4AUMAAGqmC.jpg
...Cormier is a good pick, if Strikeforce would have continued to go on.
Pretty sure he would have carried the torch.

But he really came out in 2011...

Frank Cung Melendez Thompson..all there from the beginning until it took off

Think he rebuilt his nose back in place and a back shed for his jeremy horn mower with these fellas:

dab9afbe94e04bab88692893101c05ec_crop_exact.jpg

At least they aren't in a sauna, ball bumping like the daggy boys. Some classic fighters in the pic.

Maybe. It's just hard to say you know, Frank was inactive for like 7 years, he fought TWICE against a regional competition at best. And Frank never really had the following like PRIDE guys either.

All I can say is just my thoughts and experience. I THINK that's what Strikeforce tried to do with Shamrock. Maybe it succeeded. But it was only when Fedor came onboard, that I took them more seriously. Maybe it was just me though, could've been different from different folks like @AmericanMMA

giphy.gif
...when u think Fedor was the guy who build strikeforce, ok

...but Frank made twice the number in attendence at their Strikeforce debuts

...just saying

...when u think Fedor was the guy who build strikeforce, ok

...but Frank made twice the number in attendence at their Strikeforce debuts

...just saying

no Fedor didn't build strikeforce, cuz he wasn't there. he like fought three times lol

your thread opened with Royce put UFC on the map.

I thought the signing of Fedor was what put strikeforce on the map. Just my opinion. He didn't build nothing for strikeforce since all he did was lose and retire.

But I thought signing Fedor was really what put Strikeforce on that next level.

Now did Frank build Strikeforce? It's a hard one. I'm sure that was what they intended though.

I don't know, it's hard to say you know, and Royce was only there because Gracie picked him too. And it could have been any other Gracie I think. I don't really think he built the UFC the way they did, it was Ferritas who pushed their product. Maybe you give Dana some credit too.

For me, I knew of Strikeforce, but it was when they acquiired Fedor that I was like woah
If you want to learn about the history of the sport from the late 80 following the 90's read some books bud. You're way off. Read something from clyde gentry or art davie. Then you will possibly have factual posts

If you want to learn about the history of the sport from the late 80 following the 90's read some books bud. You're way off. Read something from clyde gentry or art davie. Then you will possibly have factual posts

hmm-ok.gif

Okay bud, go get your meds now

no Fedor didn't build strikeforce, cuz he wasn't there. he like fought three times lol

your thread opened with Royce put UFC on the map.

I thought the signing of Fedor was what put strikeforce on the map. Just my opinion. He didn't build nothing for strikeforce since all he did was lose and retire.

But I thought signing Fedor was really what put Strikeforce on that next level.

Now did Frank build Strikeforce? It's a hard one. I'm sure that was what they intended though.
I opened the threas with Royce putting the UFC on the map because he was THE GUY at the very very beginning.
The Organization UFC started with him.
He put it on...

...to make the question clear about who was the guy who put on strikeforce

I completly get this point but fedor was coming fucking later...
Conor was cominfg fucking later
Ronda was comig fucking later...
Anderson later
..and so on it started with motherfucking Royce.

So if u think they intended it with Frank...
...thats a start

I opened the threas with Royce putting the UFC on the map because he was THE GUY at the very very beginning.
The Organization UFC started with him.
He put it on...

...to make the question clear about who was the guy who put on strikeforce

I completly get this point but fedor was coming fucking later...
Conor was cominfg fucking later
Ronda was comig fucking later...
Anderson later
..and so on it started with motherfucking Royce.

So if u think they intended it with Frank...
...thats a start

maybe, it's an interesting question, which I don't think I am well equipped to answer perhaps. Did Frank Shamrock build Strikeforce?

I'm not sure, final answer.

Cheers, mate.

Frank always seemed to me to be the cooler Shamrock. Like others have said Fedor really put Strikeforce on the map s being a major promotion.

I would say that frank really helped a lot building the momentum of it. Some may disagree but him fighting cung and nick were huge fights for the mma community. The average spectator probably didn't notice too much though

I think the EliteXC purchase is what put Strikeforce on the map, which led to Fedor, and then that led to CBS.

Absolutely, I was going to say the same thing.

I think buying EliteXC and showcasing Nick Diaz and others really took them to the next level.

I do think Frank gets some credit as I think his fight with Nick after the EliteXC purchase was a big moment that gave them that boost. So I guess that was a pivotal moment.

The Frank vs Nick card was the first they had after purchasing EliteXC February 2009. It was in April and STRIKEFORCE didn’t have an event since November 2008.

Remember guys...

All the Deals strikeforce got, same with the UFC, didnt just came around on a golden horse like Fedor or Conor or Ronda or Andererson or Brock...
They had to build on something, to be attractive ...
And fighting organizations build on fighters, right?

Who was there for Strikeforce before the golden horses?

Strikeforce was mainly a regional promotion that used San Jose as it's stomping grounds and HP Pavilion as it's home base. Shamrock and Le were the bigger names, with Melendez and Thomson to a lesser extent.

They then had a few crossover events with EliteXC who they then bought and inked deals with Viacom, giving them Showtime and CBS access, which also brought over Lawler, Shields, Carano, Kimbo and countless others. They started to hit their stride with Diaz/Shamrock, their best card being Hendo/Babalu in December 2010. Fedor joined soon after to 'co-promote' his fights with M-1 Global and the rest is history.

You could say that Frank and Cung Le's ability to draw in San Jose and Coker's connections in that area really set the foundation for what they became and their EliteXC purchase and the subsequent contracts they signed put more eyes on the product. Diaz and Henderson took the baton from them and put even more eyes on the product and their quality roster.

Strikeforce was mainly a regional promotion that used San Jose as it's stomping grounds and HP Pavilion as it's home base. Shamrock and Le were the bigger names, with Melendez and Thomson to a lesser extent.

They then had a few crossover events with EliteXC who they then bought and inked deals with Viacom, giving them Showtime and CBS access, which also brought over Lawler, Shields, Carano, Kimbo and countless others. They started to hit their stride with Diaz/Shamrock, their best card being Hendo/Babalu in December 2010. Fedor joined soon after to 'co-promote' his fights with M-1 Global and the rest is history.

You could say that Frank and Cung Le's ability to draw in San Jose and Coker's connections in that area really set the foundation for what they became and their EliteXC purchase and the subsequent contracts they signed put more eyes on the product. Diaz and Henderson took the baton from them and put even more eyes on the product and their quality roster.

I don’t think Kimbo was ever on a SF card, he went to TUF not long after EliteXC folded. If he was he would have set records. Basically Kimbo holds the EliteXC, TUF and Bellator viewership records and it ain’t even close.

The first official card after they got EliteXC was stacked, Frank and Nick headlines and I think Cyborg and Gilbert were on it.

I don’t think Kimbo was ever on a SF card, he went to TUF not long after EliteXC folded. If he was he would have set records. Basically Kimbo holds the EliteXC, TUF and Bellator viewership records and it ain’t even close.

The first official card after they got EliteXC was stacked, Frank and Nick headlines and I think Cyborg and Gilbert were on it.

You are correct, but they did acquire the rights to his contract.

Back