Did first BJJ class today...

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had fun, but didn't do very well. It was more like Judo, we practiced different things to help us learn to fall better. In the practices, I did crappy. When it came to the actual hip-throws and break-falls, it came pretty naturally after a few times, though. I had a tendency to torque the throws too far and ended up hurting a guy who fell on his elbow wrong. I felt like crap after that, cause it ended his night.

Didn't get a chance to do any real grappling, just throws and break falls. I didn't have a gi either. I am going to a no-gi class on Thursday.

crawl before you walk. Learning to fall is a big help when it comes to practicing take downs.

Alot of bjj guys lack ukemi... so if your instructor is even teaching it take advantage.. Its not that they dont know it, they just dont spend much time on it in bjj.. in judo they spend so much time on ukemi.

dunno if you want to have people on their first days doing throws. a bit much for first day since throws can be a bit more hazardous than the regular rolling.

im not saying since someone twisted their elbow to put on helmets though. shit happens when shit happens.

My first class was funny and a nightmare. That was back on 1996, before that I was a wrestler (1988-1992. I came in super aggressive and made a lot noisew when I was stuck in my new teachers guard lol. After a month I learn how to relax control my wrestling aggression. I combine my amature wrestling back ground with BJJ & started taping people out.

phenomfan1529 said:
congrats on your first day. do you think you'l be sticking with it?

Yah, even though I sucked, it was fun. They had 4 of us beginners in the ring teaching us the throws and ukemi, the rest were doing BJJ on the mats. I think they wanted us to learn how to fall properly before we dove in. It seems like this is bjj with a fair amount of Judo mixed in.

The sides of my hips, thighs, and shoulders are sore, but I am going back Thursday for no-gi, and if I can get off work, I will go Saturday for the NHB training.

Cool. We always do a bit of falling & rolling before each class in our warm up.

We did Muay Thai and No-Gi BJJ yesterday. I held my own in the BJJ part and got back postition a few times. I don't have any grappling experience. I wasn't allowed to work any chokes, becuase it was my second day. The Muay Thai really kicked my ass. The whole class was by far the best workout I have ever had.

b0b said:
We did Muay Thai and No-Gi BJJ yesterday. I held my own in the BJJ part and got back postition a few times. I don't have any grappling experience. I wasn't allowed to work any chokes, becuase it was my second day. The Muay Thai really kicked my ass. The whole class was by far the best workout I have ever had.

I read one of you're previous posts stating that you live in Arlington. Where did you decide to train?

b0b said:
I had fun, but didn't do very well. It was more like Judo, we practiced different things to help us learn to fall better. In the practices, I did crappy. When it came to the actual hip-throws and break-falls, it came pretty naturally after a few times, though. I had a tendency to torque the throws too far and ended up hurting a guy who fell on his elbow wrong. I felt like crap after that, cause it ended his night.

Didn't get a chance to do any real grappling, just throws and break falls. I didn't have a gi either. I am going to a no-gi class on Thursday.

If the guy fell wrong, it's most likely his fault anyway. Unless he was a complete beginner as well...then, well, shit just happens.

Congratulation on your first class!

I'm a gi -guy, so I was glad to get out of the "borrowed fight shorts" stage and into a kimono.

It is always interesting to see who sticks around. I started at about the same time as three or four other guys. One guy is training in a karate gi! Wow, those things can't handle jiu-jitsu style sparring ...

Good luck! Just think of how much better you'll be a year from now--and enjoy yourself in the meanwhile!

uhh hip throws and falling is apart of basic jiu jitsu curriculum....

Back