• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did Daft Punk steal "Get Lucky"?

Anytime a woman is compared to "an animal," that's Pharrell.

"Blurred Lines" is so Justin Timberlake's first album (which was inspired by Michael Jackson's OFF THE WALL and then can be argued was STOLEN!!!!!). The Gaye foundation made rumblings how the song was similar, so the Thicke camp pre-emtively sued them because fuck loose talk.

1. This song is pretty good.

2. The beat is kind of similar, but it would seem the main emphasis is the sweet guitar-face licks, which veer closer to Carlos Santana or Joe Satriani.

3. He uses a shit ton of simple musical layers. Like the first four layers is what you're talking about is similar to "Get Lucky," but that's kinda part and parcel with simple beats. With both "Get Lucky" and "Blurred Lines" they're using minimal elements, so stripped to the core many songs are going to sound similar. There's no sweet guitar face here.

4. Also, there's not enough this in the Korean "version":

I don't know what you call this beat, and certainly it's more exaggerated than in "Get Lucky," but this swagger is not at all present in the other. So to me the difference is pretty clear: Daft Punk = pop and this guy = jazz.

5. What exactly should be done? Is the argument "Get Lucky" somehow prevented this kid from leaving his bedroom? Has "Get Lucky" stood on the shoulders of this kid's vast Youtube cachet? I don't know how the philosophy no one should benefit from theft can be addressed.

6. Malcolm Gladwell on Plagiarism

1. Fine.

2. The emphasis is irrelevant. All that is suggested is that the chord sequence and melodies were lifted.

3. I don't have a clue what this means. I'm not sure if you recognise that their similarity is due to the identical chord progression, rather than the fact that they both include a minimal guitar sound at some point.

4. The lack of funk in the Korean version might be due to the fact that it consists of one guy using a guitar to produce chords, melody and some basic percussion. Daft Punk's is a professionally produced record with actual drums and bass costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'll assume you're joking with the pop/jazz argument :)

5. I honestly don't have anything to argue from a moral or philosophical point of view. Would be nice to see this kid get paid I guess...

6. Good for Malcolm Gladwell.

Hopefully the Japanese kid Gets Lucky with a big paycheck, sounds the exact same to me.

Goddammit now the Japanese are going to be sued by Korea.

as much as I dislike them for their past productions which were essentially just loops taken from 70` disco songs and sped up, I gotta say that you cant say this is a ripoff.
Its a similar chord progression and it ends there. It would be something on a level of one painter suing another cause he drew trees like he did.

as much as I dislike them for their past productions which were essentially just loops taken from 70` disco songs and sped up, I gotta say that you cant say this is a ripoff.
Its a similar chord progression and it ends there. It would be something on a level of one painter suing another cause he drew trees like he did.

What if a famous French painter took a poor Chinese boys painting of trees, stuck his name on it and sold it for billions?

Holy shit, I just put "Zack Kim" into Google translate, it came out "Get Lucky".

I hear if you pretend to shake a salt shaker onto your tongue in front of someone, you can trick their brains into actually tasting the salt.

One does not have to have a PHD in statistics to realize a pretty simple chord progression, even with a similar vibe, is likely to crop up multiple times in different songs. It's virtually impossible to do something completely original. Every chord progression has pretty much been done already, in all different styles and tempos.
That Daft Punk somehow found this, among all of the vastness that is the internet, and intentionally decided to "rip him off" also strikes me as quite unlikely.
At any rate, the dude is getting a lot of free publicity now.

Thank you, you put it perfectly. I was doing an absolutely terrible job of trying to say this.

I blame it on lack of sleep

Holy shit, I just put "Zack Kim" into Google translate, it came out "Get Lucky".

This shit cracked me up

What if a famous French painter took a poor Chinese boys painting of trees, stuck his name on it and sold it for billions?

you make it sound like daft punk just slapped their logo on that korean guitarists video.

That Daft Punk somehow found this, among all of the vastness that is the internet, and intentionally decided to "rip him off" also strikes me as quite unlikely.

The song was called "Robot Dance". Many, including Pharrell, call Daft Punk "The Robots". That narrows it down a little.

At any rate, the dude is getting a lot of free publicity now.

Yeah, maybe he can finally take his Super Mario bit on the road.

you make it sound like daft punk just slapped their logo on that korean guitarists video.

If I heard the Korean's shit without knowing the details I'd've been like "cool cover, nailed that shit". Now that's what I'm saying about "Get Lucky".

The song was called "Robot Dance". Many, including Pharrell, call Daft Punk "The Robots". That narrows it down a little.

Narrows it down to what? Daft Punk searching the web for contrived pseudonyms? I mean, I've heard of googling yourself, but that's just on another level of narcissism.

Yeah, maybe he can finally take his Super Mario bit on the road.

People have monetized youtube accounts with a lot stupider shit on them.

Really, Daft Punk stole a riff from an unknown Korean nobody from youtube? No, didn't happen brah.

Narrows it down to what? Daft Punk searching the web for contrived pseudonyms? I mean, I've heard of googling yourself, but that's just on another level of narcissism.

So Pharrell is looking for some ideas for their collaboration.

"Lemme listen to some of The Robot's tunes, gimme some inspiration"

**Youtubes "The Robots"**

"hmmmm... Robots, Robots... "Robot Dance".... shit, this Vietnamese kid looks interesting"

pharrell-presents-robin-thicke-his-platinum-plaque.jpg

d583d0b5bbbb763d91cb670bc730872abL2bb3.jpeg

Pharrell-At-The-White-House.jpg

pharrellrolls.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
One of the best songs of the entire decade, and people wanna get their panties all up in a bunch?

Pshhh.................. Whateva!
Talk to the hand!

I am surprised shit like this doesn't happen more often with how big YouTube has gotten and how many unknowns put their shit on the web. Songs are bound to sound similar.

Back