Did Conor have to take the Khabib fight ?

flowoftruth

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If he were to come back and opted to fight someone else I have to think he would lose a lot of stock.
+ With all the hype around the bout would fans have accepted anything less?

If he were to come back and opted to fight someone else I have to think he would lose a lot of stock.
+ With all the hype around the bout would fans have accepted anything less?

The answer to your thread title question: No.

The answer to your thread post question: Yes.

Nah bro i bet he was scared shitless right? fuck off dude you're talking about someone who had 2 belts in the UFC.

Dude is a multi-Millionaire.

He didn't HAVE to take ANY fight.

As much as I bust his stones, I am glad he took this.

Shows he has a huge SET of stones. lol

I don't think he'd get any shit had he been fighting GSP or Woodley.

Nah bro i bet he was scared shitless right? fuck off dude you're talking about someone who had 2 belts in the UFC.

I think he's aware that it's a difficult stylistic matchup that has the potential to end badly. I don't say he is scared.
Talking about two belts though, we have to be honest and say the second belt was a joke. Won from a bum who lucked his way to the title. Not my words, Conor echoed the same sentiment himself in the prefight regarding eddie. He was 2-1 going into his fight with RDA, both wins coming via split decision. They only gave him a shot and put it on a throwaway card to punish rda for pulling out. Mcgregor didn't fight the elite of the division yet.

I think he's aware that it's a difficult stylistic matchup that has the potential to end badly. I don't say he is scared.
Talking about two belts though, we have to be honest and say the second belt was a joke. Won from a bum who lucked his way to the title. Not my words, Conor echoed the same sentiment himself in the prefight regarding eddie. He was 2-1 going into his fight with RDA, both wins coming via split decision. They only gave him a shot and put it on a throwaway card to punish rda for pulling out. Mcgregor didn't fight the elite of the division yet.
Khabib has zero top 3 wins and you're talking about lucking into a title, lol

Conor loves the spotlight and this fight gives him the biggest spotlight in MMA aside from a GSP fight, so yeah I think he did need to take it. Not for money but in order to feed his ego a little more.

He is not that rich. May be 50 millions after all the cuts and huge taxes. If he wants to continue the lifestyle he lives his all life, he needs to fight .

Won from a bum who lucked his way to the title

Yet, there were threads upon threads talking about Alvarez's days in Bellator and other organisations by the self titled HARDCORE fans on here saying it would be a difficult fight for Conor as he took Melendez and Pettis down with ease and he had Boxing.

Here's how a typical conversation about the fight would go;

Poster 1: Yo, Alvarez is a dawwwwg. His fights with Chandler are legendary and he is the toughest guy Conor has ever fought.

Poster 2:Conor has better striking and Alvarez Boxing is sloppy. If he gets caught, he could put him to sleep.

Poster 1: LOOOOL. He ain't putting Alvarez to sleep. He always gets tagged and comes back and wins. And look at what Mendes did to him.

Poster 2: LOOOOOL. But Conor KO'd the P4P best in 13 seconds who is a better striker than Alvarez.

Poster 1: LMFAOOO. Alvarez ain't gonna lead with his face like Aldo did and Conor's power is overrated. He only knocks out midgets.

Poster 2: ROFL. Conor's fought at 155 already (at which point people were googling to find out how many times he had fought at 155) and is faster and stronger at that weight.

Poster 1: LULZ. Alvarez is made of solid muscle and isn't like the bum Conor KO'd at 155. Once he grabs hold of Conor he's fuuuuuuucked.

And so on. Using past fights is all well and good, but it doesn't absolutely determine how a fight is going to go.

Imagine if Conor fought someone else in a non title fight and lost. That would hurt his legacy and aura so this is the best fight for him.

He is fighting for the championship and he has an excuse of not fighting MMA in 2 years if he loses. When he was originally talking about his next MMA fight didn't he want a rubber match with Nate?

maybe his little vacation from MMA could of been planned so he could have more time to prepare for Khabib or maybe he saw Khabibs fight with AL and though I can actually beat this guy.

Edit also I'm impressed he's facing Khabib , I agree he's got a set of STONES

for him to retire after the floyd fight all though financially possible would be an idea hed regret for the rest of his life. He has a chance to really cement his legacy as one of the greatest if not the greatest with a few key wins. Wasting time in his physical prime isnt advisable

Glad he took the Khabib fight. The guy has balls, I'll give him that.

I hope that he goes back to fighting regularly after this.

Back