Did anyone catch Jeremy Stephens on JRE?

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He was talking about running vs HIT and that steady kinda slow pace running is better, and thats what all of the boxers do?

What do you think?

He speaks about it more from 1:52:15

Last edited:
Jeremy Stephens, PhD in Exercise Physiology.

he said he does both though, he does long runs..... and mixes it with a lot of sprint work also

I only want to hear him say that Aldo is ducking him.

He also said Mighty Mouse is so good because he's spinally integrated. He's completely clueless about what he's talking about. Hell of a fighter, though.

Attitudes on LISS tend to be polar, but HIIT vs LISS are not mutually exclusive.You receive adaptations from both that would be useful to MMA fighters. LISS will improve your ability to recover between bouts of intense exertion, increase your overall cv efficiency, and build mental toughness, for example.

He also said Mighty Mouse is so good because he's spinally integrated. He's completely clueless about what he's talking about. Hell of a fighter, though.
What's spinal,y integrated mean?

Maybe it's right maybe it ain't but this is the way to work out.

Also you can tell Stephens is just parroting information.

He is pretty much right! A lot of MMA guys seem to ignore the aerobic system while only smashing the anaerobic system. This is like building a huge mansion out of materials that will only last for 7-10 years on a foundation of sand. Most guys, whether on purpose or no fault of their own, seem to totally have no understanding of basic periodisation principles.

HIIT is proven to be better for increasing metabolism and burning more fat than slow state cardio.

and it can be done in 4x less time.

Your undying, unrelenting, unwavering, unyielding, unoutofadjectivesing hatred of Jeremy Stephens amuses me.
I don't know if that's a good thing or not haha. I try my best to not be a hater but there are probably 3 to 5 fighters that bring it out of me so much. Stephens is just the exact type of fighter that makes me feel uneasy about telling people I love MMA. That sounds really lame but it's just the truth.

There are studies that prove that sprints are just an easier way of building cardio. You can either sprint for 15 minute workout, or run like 3 miles and get the same cardio benefits. He could just be doing a lot of cardio but mixes it up and runs long distance, but it's the energy he's putting into cardio more than the modality he uses. I think GSP barely did any long distance running and had the mass and the cardio, had a sprinter's physique, but that doesn't mean you have to sprint when you fight.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not haha. I try my best to not be a hater but there are probably 3 to 5 fighters that bring it out of me so much. Stephens is just the exact type of fighter that makes me feel uneasy about telling people I love MMA. That sounds really lame but it's just the truth.

Not good or bad, it just is, haha. Well, I guess kinda good because it cracks me up.

Is it the charges that were brought against him, his general persona, or both? I can definitely see why he'd rub some the wrong way (he seems... not quite frat boy, but kinda in that area, basic bro dude range) but your disdain is something fierce.

Spinally integrated? Hell I hope we all are spinally integrated, otherwise its a pretty short lifespan.

I work in this field and it sounds like the classic pseudoscientific language used by snake oil salesman. I guess Rogan loved the application of words like that. Gets him going.
The idea to part training in aerobic and anaerobic aspects is quite important and well basic. I`d say every athlete on a professional level does that since sports exist besides curling and dart. :D

like Popper said: “True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it.” ;)

Not good or bad, it just is, haha. Well, I guess kinda good because it cracks me up.

Is it the charges that were brought against him, his general persona, or both? I can definitely see why he'd rub some the wrong way (he seems... not quite frat boy, but kinda in that area, basic bro dude range) but your disdain is something fierce.
A combination of those things. I typically don't like fighters that brawl without a lot of technique. When I say don't like I just mean from a fandom perspective. When it comes to like disliking as a fighter it is usually an assemblage of things. That kind of 'just bleed' attitude seems really reductive to how I want MMA to be. Of course, how I want something isn't necessarily how it should be but we are talking about personal taste here. If you have that attitude plus do something really nasty outside the cage (Cerrone, Stephens, etc) then we have a perfect storm for my hatred. It's probably a lot to with my insecurities and projecting the people who have bothered me or hurt me throughout my life onto them because they are so aggressive. Who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back