Diaphragm breathing....complete bullshit?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
If you spent 2 minutes or less researching stress, anxiety or relaxation techniques you will come across "belly breathing" mentioned.

Now, I'm not gonna hate on the yoga people or meditation practitioners. I've done and occasionally still practice meditation myself.

But my problem is with the idea that we somehow "unlearn how to breathe properly" sometime in our lives and become shallow chest breathers. I saw a YouTube short recent where Bas Rutten was saying we do this because we dont want to look fat around girls we like.

First of all, breathing is (or should be), involuntary. So there is no reason why we would suddenly breathe the wrong way for whatever reason. Logically it doesnt make much sense.

Secondly, although I'll admit that deep breathing creates a more relaxing state, there is no reason why you should be in that state all the time. Your body knows when it needs to be relaxed and when it doesnt (or should). And your breathing will naturally follow.

Now I believe deep, full belly breathing in times of stress can be a good RESET in times when you need to relax. But doing it all the time is something I think is backdoor zen bullshit.

You're telling me that we involuntarily learn to breathe wrong, and the answer is to voluntarily force yourself to breathe a certain way? Ron Burgandy that doesnt make sense gif.

thoughts?

Last edited:
Focused deep breathing is good.

Yes, people definitely unlearn how to breathe properly. The term "mouth breathers" exists for a reason.

Seems more like a congestion problem. Plus you can belly breathe or chest breathe with your mouth or your nose. Wouldnt make a difference.

It make sense to me there is more to breathing than the intuitive subconscious way people do it. There are people that breath extremely suboptimally (mouth breathers) so I can see on the opposite end of spectrum, there are more optimal way to do so if we apply effort and technique.

You know how Hawaiians call white people from the mainland haoles? I think it literally means “mouth breather.”

Deep breathing is good for you. Also breathing through your nose is optimal for proper warmth and humidity for the lungs. And yes people can build habits of improper breathing for different reasons.

I always breathe from my diaphragm.

<{vega}>
Speaking of the diaphragm, inhaling as much air as physically possible to expand it, then holding my breath for roughly 20-30 secs gets rid of hiccups for me.

People often develop bad habits through exposure to anxiety and stress. Shallow breathing, clenching of their teeth and tension in their facial muscle, etc.

Deep breathing is good. It works to calm and help release tension you might not even realize you have.

It is also part of pretty much every therapy revolving around pelvic floor dysfunction, many dysfunctions actually.

Clearly there’s something too it as empirical evidence backs it up. But yeah the explanation that we breathe wrong is probably nonsense. If I had to guess I would assume that it’s a way to reset or calm your sympathetic nervous system that’s being stimulated when you feel anxious

All breathing is done with the diaphragm. The variation is in how deeply you breathe or how far your diaphragm moves. I have a spinal problem that can interfere with the operation of my diaphragm so I do stop breathing if I stay in a vertical position for too long. Sitting is better than standing but lying down is best. Even lying down I have to position my body in certain ways.

Back