Dhalsim v Ryu has turned into Ken vs Ken - it's made the UFC less appealing

The Sausage King

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason Conor, Ronda, are the biggest and only draws in the UFC is they have a persona - which is a good thing in terms of putting butts in seats. The UFC has put all their eggs in the Conor basket and have done little to put emphasis on other individual fighters.

What the UFC has failed to realize is that it was the fighters like Tito, Randy, and Chuck who we were drawn to in the mid 2000's, not the UFC brand. I know going main stream was inevitable and I have no issues with that, but I do worry that UFC will soon turn into the MLB where everyone is pretty much the same with very few standouts.

The lack of stylistic differences between fighters is also less compelling. Take Lyoto vs Rua which was fantastic because they had different styles. But as MMA becomes more popular, it becomes its own style on it's own and most of the new breed fighters look and fight similarly.

tumblr_lr3geuDaYS1r2s3wpo1_500.jpg

They don't look and fight similarly, they are simply more well rounded now than Shogun Vs Lyoto...

Would you prefer a bunch of stick figures fighting with no personalities? People are different. There are Conors and there are Mark Hunts... you are over generalizing the fuck out of this

They don't look and fight similarly, they are simply more well rounded now than Shogun Vs Lyoto...

Would you prefer a bunch of stick figures fighting with no personalities?

I'm not completely opposed to it

200.gif

More well rounded than Lyoto and Shogun ahahahahahahahaha

TS has a point...

that was part of the UFC's/Pride's appeal...back in it's heyday...the stylistic clashes between fighters...

For example, Tim Sylvia vs Big Nog.
Shogun vs. Machida.
Cro Cop vs everyone. (in Pride)

Now, it seems that every fighter fights in the same mold (with a few notable exceptions).

It also makes sense why they do so as well. To excel in MMA you have to be good at everything. rather than being remarkable good in one facet, while lacking in other skill sets.

Haha The Spider looks awesome :D

As for TS; Fighting is fighting.

Styles, careers, choices, the fight itself... there is always a good tale to be told, if you have the eyes to see it.

Disclaimer: will watch bum fights and worldstar.

Yeah, all of these guys have the exact same style:

Dominick Cruz
Conor Mcgregor
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Cain Velasquez

all these guys in MMA are virtual clones of one another.

I wish we could go back to the good old days when we had all those unique styles from guys like Tim Sylvia, Guy Mezger, Jerry Bohlander, etc.

Back