developing strong takedown defense

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This has been a big issue for me and has even has cost me some matches.. Weak takedown defense. A lot of times I see a shot coming and will even sprawl but eventually get taken down. Its usually wrestling type tds that get me. What kinds of drills exercises and tips can u guys give me

First line of defense is your hands. If he can't clear your hands, he can't shoot. If you feel him change levels, push him away with your hands. This is even easier to do in a gi because you can control him with your gi grips.

Second line of defense is the sprawl. But the sprawl alone is not enough to stop the shot, if you just sprawl often times the guy will sit through or just re-shoot and finish the takedown anyway. You also need to develop a mean crossface.

If you sprawl and crossface him you can make space, stop the shot completely and end up with a nice headlock, that you can use to set up a guillotine or an anaconda choke or something.

Work on peeling his head off you with your forearms as you sprawl. He can't finish the shot if you create distance between his head and your body.

Yeah...and judo?

I know that.. I meant is there any way to develop the Balance and reaction speed

Yeah...and judo?

I know that.. I meant is there any way to develop the Balance and reaction speed

You've got to drill it homie. Have a training partner shoot on you repeatedly and practice sprawling and stopping his shot. Do some live takedown-only sparring.

Just have someone who really knows how to shoot a good takedown shoot on you. Work on stuffing it and get right back up into it again. I'd also work on pummeling and clinching. Being able to move someone and change grips when you're tied up does a lot for your game. Just need to rep it, a lot.

Last edited:
Hmm... How to out-wrestle a wrestler? Learn to wrestle. Like others have said, have a wrestler work shot after shot on you. A good wrestler will get past your hands, so you need to have a "plan B" for stopping the attack. My Plan A is always to stuff the shot, I rarely sprawl my feet backwards, but lift them UP and drop my hips to meet the shot. I stunt the guy's momentum and have him sitting back on his heels.

Plan B for me on a guy stunted on his knees is a front headlock and NO hesitation rip the roll. Plan B if a guy has my foot or leg is to keep moving forward and putting pressure on them, then spinning for position, or working for the front headlock again. If the guy gets to his feet and has my leg up, I'm kicking to get my foot between his legs and I'm putting pressure forward on them and working for the wizzer if he's moving away from the leg, or an over under tip or front headlock if he's moving into the leg (see a pattern here? Favorite move of mine, your mileage may vary).

The major issue, in my book, is putting pressure on them to snuff the shot. Wrestlers will push and push and push to drive the shot home, even if they miss the first one. You've gotta counter that push and use it against them. You first have to STOP their push, by pushing back, then redirect the fight.

The easiest way to counter any wrestling shot, in my book, is to overhook an arm when he shoots and spin to the back as you sprawl. By the time he realizes he missed the shot, you're already on his back. If you miss the spin, you at least still stopped his shot, and got him thinking defensively for a second, and you can either spin the other way, or hit the wizzer or front head lock.

I don't dig cross facing on a shot. It's a defensive move. I don't wrestle not to lose, I wrestle to win. The cross face buys you time, but at the end of the day, it's still not gaining you much unless you have a ton of strength over your opponent, and if that's the case, there are better options anyway.

just practice, a nice drill is be joging in place and when someone says sprawl you sprawl.

practicing sprawls, a nice drill is to be joging in place and when someone says sprawl you sprawl.

similar concept in bjj, your opponent goes where his head goes. stuff the head and get your hips low on the sprawl.

Balance and speed...eh, not as important as proper technique IMO.

Push the back of the head down to the mat like you want them to kiss your feet, use your forearm (other arm) to block their shoulder and/or get an underhook. If you have an underhook, unless they are magic, they can't take you down on a shot.

Push your hips down and into them to stop the sprawl. Make sure your hips are really driving forward and down, like you want to use your pelvis to grade their head almost.

Get your feet back. You can't sprawl if your feet are directly under you; get your feet away from him ASAP. If you really demand a workout to do, fast dynamic repetitions of up-downs or sprawls would help.

Don't sprawl straight back, kind of angle your feet (when they FLY out from under you) about 45 degrees away from his head; kind of the opposite of cutting the corner, almost like you are trying to side-step them as you sprawl.

Also...

don't defend, counter

If they shoot with a single, learn to counter with either an uchimata or sumi gaeshi; off a double... i dunno any counters off a double outside of a possible tomoenage maybe.

Do you know proper sprawling technique?

Always keep your chest on the other guys upper back and spread your legs back. If he gets one of your legs in a single then whizzer instantly. Just practice repeatedly till you get it, the only way to improve reflexes and technique is repetition. Same with anything else you have to work hard for in life really, that's really the best advice any one can give you.

Also....

If they shoot with a single, learn to counter with either an uchimata or sumi gaeshi; off a double... i dunno any counters off a double outside of a possible tomoenage maybe.

No just no...

Never be stupid and counter a wrestlign shot with a judo move. Dumbest thing ever and these throws won't work against some one who has your leg.

The easiest counters to a double are headlock to choke (guillotine, anaconda, d'arce are all possible), or sprawl, push him down and go around to take his back and then choke.

I'm not a "great" wrestler. I'm slow and older, I'm not small and quick. With that said, I down block a lot and kick the leg back that they are going for. I dont really "sprawl" much like what your talking about. If they do reach my leg then one leg is already stretched back and it's easier to get the other one back. I've found what I do works pretty well so far. Once down and on top, you need to keep their head down, make sure you have good hip pressure, and break their grip on the leg. You cant just sit there.

Do you know proper sprawling technique?

Always keep your chest on the other guys upper back and spread your legs back. If he gets one of your legs in a single then whizzer instantly. Just practice repeatedly till you get it, the only way to improve reflexes and technique is repetition. Same with anything else you have to work hard for in life really, that's really the best advice any one can give you.

Also....

No just no...

Never be stupid and counter a wrestlign shot with a judo move. Dumbest thing ever and these throws won't work against some one who has your leg.

Off a single, yes you can wizzer but an uchimata is totally a valid counter as well.

:icon_neut Whatever you say buddy, have fun out there in the land of utter denial. The first class where I EVER went no-gi, after a year of Judo, I countered over and over and over. Of course, it's all relative to the wrestler and judoka's experience level, but everything is.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I mean I know the concept behind defending the shot I was just hoping there was some short of exercise I could find to help build on it. Also what about guys who just rush with a tackle and no proper form. Do you find these are easier or harder to defendl?

I also want to point out that many times I see the shot coming, but I don't sprawl out in time. I want to build some reaction speed

Last edited:
Well, basic stuff really. Put your hip into him, push his head down, get underhooks, get your knees off the mat, etc.

similar concept in bjj, your opponent goes where his head goes. stuff the head and get your hips low on the sprawl.

This

In wrestling this will not be enough, but very very few BJJ guys can handle even that. Hell if you push their head far enough you can drive forward with your hips and reverse them

Back