Developing speed

Thunderstriker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'd like to know some exercises that help you develop hand speed, footwork speed and head movement speed. I know that you will say that it's about repetition and correct technique, but you must agree it has a physical side to it :) exersices/drills like shadow boxing with 1kg dumbells, jump rope and so on.
P.s. It would be nice to know what exercises/drills you do for explosiveness as well, what i have in my mind is the ability to string for example 6 shot combination with lots of speed and power :)
p.p.s english is not my native language so sorry for that :)

It all starts with the feet. If you want fast hands, you need to be light and quick on the feet.

You need strong feet, ankles, lower legs. I have my own methods for that. Jumping rope is great. Also short sprints, plyos, and ladder agility drills.

I would say chopping wood or tires is good. All variations of medicine ball throws. These give you core strength. Without a strong and powerful core, your hand speed will be limited.

Shadowboxing, shadowboxing with 1-2lb dumbells, pad work, bag work for speed instead of power, and repetition. You get faster over time. The more you throw your combos, the faster they will get. Just make sure you focus on technique more than speed at first, or your'll end up throwing fast, but also sloppy combos.

Thanks :) also guys, head movement, some people move their head a lot faster than others :)

Thanks :) also guys, head movement, some people move their head a lot faster than others :)

That will get better with shadow boxing, drilling, and sparring, You need to get used to seeing punches coming at your head, and then dodging them, to build up your reflexes. Eventually you'll be able to start reacting before your opponents hand begins extending, just based on their body positioning. It becomes natural. That's when you get that matrix style head movement.

In terms of physical help for head movement, it's a lot of core. Make sure you have a very strong core, and good cardio. Being gassed out will slow your head movement.

Also, make sure you stay focues on the positioning of your feet and head/center of gravity. If you are getting off balance while bobbing and weaving, you'll be slower, and also more likely to get caught and dropped.

**Edit**
Didn't see you asked about footwork. Agility ladder drills are amazing for both footwork coordination, speed, and endurance.

Shadow/Light Sparring is very good for practicing head movement and footwork, as well as speed. You can do "shin" sparring (only leg and maybe body kicks) to work on footwork as well, without having to get hit in the head all the time.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i'd like to know some exercises that help you develop hand speed, footwork speed and head movement speed. I know that you will say that it's about repetition and correct technique, but you must agree it has a physical side to it :) exersices/drills like shadow boxing with 1kg dumbells, jump rope and so on.
P.s. It would be nice to know what exercises/drills you do for explosiveness as well, what i have in my mind is the ability to string for example 6 shot combination with lots of speed and power :)
p.p.s english is not my native language so sorry for that :)
Use Focus mitts

Head movement is one of those things that's probably hard to teach. Either you got it or you don't kind of thing. Some guys are born with it, very slick, so good at it, they can really dance and have great head movement. Not that you can't get better at it. Some guys just have it innately. Sort of like dancing, they have a rhythm about them in the ring.

Head movement is one of those things that's probably hard to teach. Either you got it or you don't kind of thing. Some guys are born with it, very slick, so good at it, they can really dance and have great head movement. Not that you can't get better at it. Some guys just have it innately. Sort of like dancing, they have a rhythm about them in the ring.

Well, I might have something like that, but it needs to be developed more :D I'm a tall, lean southpaw, and I like to create angles against orthodox fighters :D Also, I'm usually a lot taller than my opponents in competition - I'm 64kg (141lbs) and 183cm. I like to use things like jabbing until my opponents throws his right hand, then I lean back and counter with left straight, or things like distance deception (I think that's how it's called :D) when you lean in with your head a bit to make yourself look closer, then lean back and counter :) And sometimes I'm like fuck it and when my opponent throws a flurry of punches, I just do that kinda half-squat and that slip to the left repeateadly to avoid the power right hand, and I kinda forget about knees and kicks :D

Head movement should be naturally built into the punching. Then when you are not punching it is just as easy (maybe easier) to do

Head movement should be naturally built into the punching. Then when you are not punching it is just as easy (maybe easier) to do

Yup, I like to move the head while punching :) for example on 1-2, I always move my head to right on 2 :)

Yup, I like to move the head while punching :) for example on 1-2, I always move my head to right on 2 :)
You said you are southpaw so am I but it had a difficult time for a while because I had coaches that did not train southpaws before. They forced me to fight orthodox. Even though my style now is involves switching stances. I was uncomfortable for a while.

Thunderstriker,^^It should normally be going left on 2, unless you're a southpaw, or else your head will be crowding into your own arm that's being thrown.

IF during a fight you want your head to move right while you're throwing a right(#2), you can use your footwork to step or pivot that way.

[edit] - looks like you're a southpaw, ok makes sense now

Back