Developing Jiu Jitsu game for MMA? yes or no

IronBleek33

White Belt
Reaction score
Well first off Im new here on the boards even tho ive been reading here for a year or so. But anyways my main concer/question right now is that Ive been training BJJ and Boxing while teaching myself kicks/knees for about 8 months seperatly. My Jiu Jitsu has been getting really good as is my boxing. I developed many differnet aspects of my Jiu Jitsu practising it for weeks while rolling to develop different parts but never thinking of moves to do or not to do while getting punched I would just think of the rules in grappling. In the past few months my guard has been becoming alot better ever since i stopeed doing rubber guard (as my instructor dosent think its good in the long run) But a big reason to why its getting better is because in the GI I am trying to use alot of grips. I started training full MMA to mix everything about a month ago. Ive noticed ive made the transition good to being able to still do alot of my Jiu Jitsu succesfully while getting hit and my striking is getting good as well. But my main quesiton is that from now on since i want to fight in the cage soon enough Juring my BJJ classes should i be concentrating on systems that will be relevant and succesful in MMA. So basically not as much grips and stuff in the GI. or since that i am young (17) and somewhat new should I just develop as much BJJ systems and games as possible and then use what works in MMA. Also what are some good guard games for MMA that I could start teaching myself while rolling.

do round games

get someone and and let them put u in the gaurd try and pass if you win you go bottom the winner stays bottom try new things

Only you can answer your first question, as it mainly depends on wether you want to just compete MMA or compete in BJJ as well. Obviously GI grips and gi chokes are useless in MMA. So if you want to focus on MMA use of bjj than do no-gi and stear away from grips guard games that rely on using the gi. No-GI will allow you to develop different grips that dont involve holding the gi.

The guy that responded above literraly thought you meant 'game' as in one might play H.O.R.S.E. in basketball....he didn't understand you meant which type of guard is most useful for MMA.

More advanced guys can answer, but I'd say spider, rubber guard are not very effective as they rely on gi grips.

Closed and Open guard is all you really can use when you involve punches and no gi into the equation.

i say use the gi agains them if they try using it against u
im 17 also and when i train i try not using the gi unless they are better then me or A LOT BIGGER THEN Me. either of those
but if they are new or not that good i would try not using the gi

i say use the gi agains them if they try using it against u
im 17 also and when i train i try not using the gi unless they are better then me or A LOT BIGGER THEN Me. either of those
but if they are new or not that good i would try not using the gi

Ya this is pretty true with me too, especially against huge guys.

And to BJJ-guy...i dont kno if u kno wut rubber guard is but it is meant for No-gi and there is no gi grips except mayb the pants that bravo likes to wear while using it.

Ya this is pretty true with me too, especially against huge guys.

And to BJJ-guy...i dont kno if u kno wut rubber guard is but it is meant for No-gi and there is no gi grips except mayb the pants that bravo likes to wear while using it.

understood, I misunderstood and did not know what rubber guard was. Did my research and that it could be effective guard in mma.

understood, I misunderstood and did not know what rubber guard was. Did my research and that it could be effective guard in mma.
if you wanna see some good rubber guard in use look up shinya aoki, his vids are on youtube and he's great at it

Ya I went a few months developing my rubber guard. I went through each step while rolling and slowly made it into a great system, which got everyone at my club baffled when they rolled with me on how to do it. My instructor caught on to this ( Matt Hache if anyone wanted to kno) and during a private had a long talk with me about how he wants to mold me into a great grappler tht he could see winning big things but wihtout the use of the rubber guard lol. His main problem with it was that BJJ is all about ur hips. And with the rubber guard your hips are stationary and u cant really move them around so he showed me stuff that I cant use instead. It kinda was a bummer that I had been working on it for months and was getting really good at it cuz thts basically all I would do while rolling but i understand why it wouldnt be as effective as people claim. Atleast I got some amazing half guard stuff out of that book tho lol

I train Gi almost exclusively, but as I progress in building my game, I try to make my technique as versatile as possible, ie grabbing overhooks instead of triceps or even something as simple as getting the collar grip behind their neck instead of on the lapel to half-simulate no gi head control.
IMO rolling gi translates to better technique over all, but I do try to not limit myself. If my scissor sweeps are on point, I want them to hit just as hard no gi.
I've never trained MMA a day in my life, but i do alright with butterfly guard, and thats all about having one arm and the head under control. Seems like they wouldnt be able to do much damage striking if you've got that locked in. Like I said, I've never been punched in the face while doing it, so why don't you try it and let me know?

Back