Deontay Wilder

Athenry04

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Anyone got an opinion on American HW prospect Deontay Wilder, he picked up a bronze in the 2008 olympics and is currently 12-0 as a pro, all coming by stoppages. Most of his fights are on youtube, and he seems to carry power in his right, and have good movement, but he hasn't fought anyone to test him yet and some of those guys probably shouldn't have been allowed in any boxing ring. Any posters from the USA tell me where this guy is heading?

cheers

considering hes like 6"5+ i really like him. Hes got crazy power, a killer jab and looks to be comming along well. Its a Sin hes in boxing and not MMA tho. Theres just not enuff HW boxers now a days.

Thanks for your response, the lack of depth in the HW division, does though mean that prospects get thrust into title shots before their time, see Dereck Chisora. I will be interested to see what happens if and when Wilder steps up in class.

cheers

Raw, hasn't fought anybody of note.
Jury's out on how good he is and can be.
Still a prospect.

considering hes like 6"5+ i really like him. Hes got crazy power, a killer jab and looks to be comming along well. Its a Sin hes in boxing and not MMA tho. Theres just not enuff HW boxers now a days.

Yeah, poor kid has to make more money and have more say in his career in boxing.

Oy vey :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He got dropped by a bum yesterday.

He really needs to step up his level of competition... although considering the fact he got badly hurt against a 17-20 fighter recently there could be a reason for that. The problem is as long as he keeps fighting this level of opponent he doesn't really improve which means the step up, when it does happen, gets even harder.

Seth Mitchell, who fought on the same card, looks like a much better prospect at this stage, but he is a year ahead with his career.

It is bizarre that the UK, a place which stereotypically protects its fighters, is willing to throw their current crop of HW prospects (well at least some of them) against the level of fighters they are where as Wilder is getting a soft ride.

he needs to step up and fight someone good
enough tomato cans man

he needs to step up and fight someone good
enough tomato cans man

he has only been boxing for like 4 years, give the man a break. I like him a lot and like the fact he is going slow to improve his skills and craft. He has a lot of physical tools in terms of height, speed, and power, but there are people who have been boxing all their life and just have intangibles that take time to get to where they need to be to be fighting even the briggs and rahmans that people might consider a step up

I train at the same gym with d wilder. He first put on gloves in 2006 so he needs to take it really slow. Why feed him to the wolves ? Deontay will be a contender give him a few years. I really like him and his attitude. He hits really hard. When he hits the bags its just scary man. He needs to be brought along real slow cause he is very inexperienced. Give him a few good years you're gonna hear his name A LOT !

D wilder is awesome. No one in boxing has accomplished as much as him in such a short amount of time.

I train at the same gym with d wilder. He first put on gloves in 2006 so he needs to take it really slow. Why feed him to the wolves ? Deontay will be a contender give him a few years. I really like him and his attitude. He hits really hard. When he hits the bags its just scary man. He needs to be brought along real slow cause he is very inexperienced. Give him a few good years you're gonna hear his name A LOT !

if he can be a legitimate contender, then he should be really careful because the next great american heavyweight is going to make serious money.

Dude has crazy potential and alot of physical gifts, he started boxing at what 21 ffs?

He started pretty late and he becomes an Olympic bronze medalist and he's beaten the Gold medalist before.

He's an athletic freak also, colleges wanted to recruit him for basketball and football.

REALLY interested to see how he turns out, part of me wants to see him step in competition, but at the same time I want to see him develop his skills. He will get bigger as time progresses and much more powerful (scary!)

Emanuel Steward is going to turn him into something special.

I personally hope he does well, America is at a bit of a low point in boxing and an African-American HW with his skills and ability is just what we need.

hope he ktfo's his opponent come Sept. 5!

Dude has crazy potential and alot of physical gifts, he started boxing at what 21 ffs?

He started pretty late and he becomes an Olympic bronze medalist and he's beaten the Gold medalist before.

He's an athletic freak also, colleges wanted to recruit him for basketball and football.

REALLY interested to see how he turns out, part of me wants to see him step in competition, but at the same time I want to see him develop his skills. He will get bigger as time progresses and much more powerful (scary!)

Emanuel Steward is going to turn him into something special.

I personally hope he does well, America is at a bit of a low point in boxing and an African-American HW with his skills and ability is just what we need.

hope he ktfo's his opponent come Sept. 5!

he needs to develop before he steps up imho.......

He appears to be chinny, was saved by the bell on the 2nd round of his last fight. And I've heard he has been rocked in a lot of his amateur fights, and also KOed. Of course Wlad is also chinny and has had a hugely succesful career. We'll see how he does, but, I think the future is on the eastern european and cuban HWs TBH (Solis, Ortiz, Perez, Pulev, Helenius, Boytsov...).

He's still raw, but he's physically gifted and seems like he has a good work ethic. If he has a solid chin then he could be the next great American HW.

And he has no reason to step up the competition right now. He is still green and learning the craft of boxing. he won a bronze medal after 2-3 years of boxing and 35 fights with a 1-2 and not much else.....that's very impressive, almost unheard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back