Dental question...

Bull Terrier

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
The other day, my best friend was talking about his kid getting braces as his teeth are slightly crowded. This made me wonder a few things about tooth development:

1. Your adult teeth come in at a young age, obviously way before your skull / jaw stop growing, so how come everybody doesn't have huge gaps between their teeth? Obviously some people do have slight gaps, but I don't remember my adult teeth being all jammed into my mouth and then slowing fitting as the years went by, there has always been enough room.

2. Why do animals like dogs and monkeys etc always seem to have perfectly straight teeth naturally? What causes humans to need braces in the first place?

Anyone know the answers?

Many dogs have crooked teeth

images

Do humans just have atrocious genetics on the whole?

Maybe its a darwinian thing. The animals with shitty teeth don't survive as well as the ones with proper teeth while humans with shitty teeth use a blender.

i have really straight teeth.

am i a monkey? lol

i think that gaps are normal until wisdom teeth grow in but all dentists say you need braces to streighten the teeth out then when the wisdom teeth come in they have they removed. my dentist told me to get mine out n get veneers to cover the gaps, i refused and now my wisdom teeth are coming in and closing all the gaps lol.

just so its clear im no proffesional dentist.

i think that gaps are normal until wisdom teeth grow in but all dentists say you need braces to streighten the teeth out then when the wisdom teeth come in they have they removed. my dentist told me to get mine out n get veneers to cover the gaps, i refused and now my wisdom teeth are coming in and closing all the gaps lol.

just so its clear im no proffesional dentist.

my former dentist was telling me for years to have my wisdom teeth removed.

i told him that the moment they start to bother me, i would let him know. that was like fifteen years ago, and they have never been a problem.

some (maybe most?) dentists just care about the $.

Humans practice survival of the shittiest.

LMFAO!

I think the size, strength, and speed are far stronger attributes then having perfect teeth so I doubt this has to do with the survival of the fittest in most circumstances. But I don't have any alternative idea so wtf do I know:)

Last edited:
my former dentist was telling me for years to have my wisdom teeth removed.

i told him that the moment they start to bother me, i would let him know. that was like fifteen years ago, and they have never been a problem.

some (maybe most?) dentists just care about the $.

Without question they do it for the money. I think it's one of the situation where your insurance covers it so they use it as a tool to generate business. I'm 32 and my wisdoms teeth didn't start coming in until I was 28 but I've never had a problem with mine. A lot of people I know haven't had theirs removed and don't have a problem with them. If you've spend tons of money on braces then without question you should be proactive in getting them removed. My cousin had braces growing up and put off removing his wisdom teeth and a lot of his teeth have fell out of alignment.

LMFAO!

I think the size, strength, and speed are far stronger attributes then having perfect teeth so I doubt this has to do with the survival of the fittest in most circumstances. But I don't have any alternative idea so wtf do I know:)

Actually being able to eat food is a prerequisite for becoming big and strong...and surviving.

Back