• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demetrious Johnson reveals shocking pay during UFC run: ‘That’s where that chip on my shoulder came

Why would more people want to watch that untalented train wreck of a non-fighter than an elite martial artist?
Because he’s popular and has fans lmfao it’s not that complicated

DJ is 4’5” nobody wants to watch that shit. It is what it is

Without UFC nobody knows who Mighty Mouse was and that is why he made more money in One.
Not necessarily true.
Urijah Faber was a huge wec star
Dominic cruz was on his way
Cerrone
Henderson
Pettis
All prior to the UFC absorbing them
So theoretically, mm could have very well have become a prominent fighter there or in Japan.
The UFC only gained him any notoriety because it is the biggest mma organization. If he wasn't there, another organization would have offered exactly what the UFC did at the bare minimum considering they literally sabotaged his promotion lol

Meh, I kinda don't care anymore after that one interview where MM started talking about money and it was made abundantly clear he had no idea what was in the contract he signed or how contracts in general work. He let his manager/agent or whoever negotiate on his behalf then wants to bitch about it later like it's not his fault.

Meh, I kinda don't care anymore after that one interview where MM started talking about money and it was made abundantly clear he had no idea what was in the contract he signed or how contracts in general work. He let his manager/agent or whoever negotiate on his behalf then wants to bitch about it later like it's not his fault.

His manager is Matt Hund i believe who also works for One Championship.

So what about the grown ass man and his management that accepted and signed such a deal.

This is no different then wmnba crying they don't get prayed like the man.

Shut up Shill.

MM has publicly said what he made several of those shows (it's in the OP), not to mention commission payouts for some of them.

Source for that? I know he received about double his disclosed pay for fight, that's been reported. But I would find a 7 figure signing bonus incredibly unlikely. That's bigger than guys like Rampage.

I mean sure...but that gets you a per diem and maybe a 4 or 5 figures. It's not doubling your paycheck or anything like that.

Undislosed pay (excluding PPV points) was a couple million a year during the Fertita era. Unless you think MM was getting the lion's share of that, his disclosed pay is pretty accurate.

You realize a 125k buys on a PPV means the UFC took in at least 6 or 7 million gross, right? DJ was making about 150K at that point, so they were paying him less than 3 percent of event revenue. That's fucking insane for a headliner.
Mouse said that he didn't get a championship contract for his first 3 title defenses, however even when he got that, added in, it didn't matter anyway because he never reached the threshold to get PPV points. granted, some of those were on television, but it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't had reached the threshold for PPV points regardless, so it then comes down to how much he negotiated in his contract.

Your figure on how much the UFC spent in undisclosed pay couldn't be known. Since it wasn't anything that they had to report, it very well could've been any amount.

I couldn't find that link to Nate's balloon payment, but it was real, I used to have the link, but I couldn't find it atm. it was back when he was on Fox tv prior to his PPV run.

Per UFC's PPV take - the UFC had to give up half the PPV money to the PPV provider prior to the company's sale & the ESPN deal.

Events cost money - You gotta pay all the fighters on the card, & fly them & 2 coaches to the venue & put them in a hotel. They gotta pay their employees who put the show on & keep everything running smooth, medical staff, judges & ref pay, rent the venue, overhead of running the company such as their 350 total employees, the 100 mill. apex center & the USADA initiative... etc.

So the 3 million they get after the PPV split has a lot of places to go before we see the UFC make any money. That's the reason their PPV points don't kick in for fighters until 200k buys.

I'm not an advocate for low fighter pay, and I agree that the GOAT was grossly under-payed once he became champ. Prior to that is whatever, and after he was awarded PPV points then that's on him if he wasn't a draw enough to even get to the threshold, so I'm only really trippin' about 3 fights... & one of those was as a title contender, and they typically didn't get PPV points anyway back in the day, so I'm really only trippin about 2 fights & Mouse's poor contract negotiating skills.

All that said, he's also not telling everything. We know he's smiled to the camera at many events for example, and your idea that his pay wasn't doubled for that sitting doesn't stand, because they can pay those kinds of things as high or low as they want. It's a legal way for the UFC to hide money, but he didn't even bring that up and so my point is just about what else didn't he bring up.

I noticed the grand finale of his point was getting rich by being on a McGregor card. The point is valid for others, but Mac got wise to this & insisted on nobody else sharing his PPV take. Tyron Woodley exposed that while explaining why he refused a McGregor card while he was champ because he wouldn't be collecting PPV points. Apparently Mac was being negotiated down due to stacking his cards and he decided that he didn't need a stacked card and so all the money should be his.

It's a valid point Mouse is making there though if he shares the stage for others, like Jones or others, but he's not really bringing much to the table as a draw himself. He's an amazing fighter... he's just not a draw.

You saw my earlier post with his PPV drawing power, he would've never made PPV points on his own anyway, so it's kind of a moot point that he didn't get PPV points for the first 3 title defenses because he didn't reach the threshold for payout anyway. The only time he got into any real PPV points was when he was co-headlining with someone who actually does move the needle.

I love him as a fighter, so it's a bit of a contrast for me to talk about his low drawing power, but it is what it is. He does have a gripe, but he also said he signed a new contract early on, and that's also on him for not penning in higher pay if he were to get the belt.

Last edited:
Mouse said that he didn't get a championship contract for his first 3 title defenses, however even when he got that, added in, it didn't matter anyway because he never reached the threshold to get PPV points.

Your figure on how much the UFC spent in undisclosed pay couldn't be known, since it wasn't anything that they had to report.

I couldn't find that link to Nate's balloon payment, but it was real, I used to have the link, but I couldn't find it atm.

Per UFC's PPV take - the UFC had to give up half the PPV money to the PPV provider prior to the company's sale & the ESPN deal.

Events cost money - You gotta pay all the fighters on the card, & fly them & 2 coaches to the venue & put them in a hotel. They gotta pay their employees who put the show on & keep everything running smooth, medical staff, judges & ref pay, rent the venue, overhead of running the company such as their 350 total employees, the 100 mill. apex center & the USADA initiative... etc.

So the 3 million they get after the PPV split has a lot of places to go before we see the UFC make any money. That's the reason their PPV points don't kick in for fighters until 200k buys.

I'm not an advocate for low fighter pay, and I agree that the GOAT was grossly under-payed once he became champ. Prior to that is whatever, and after he was awarded PPV points then that's on him if he wasn't a draw enough to even get to the threshold.

All that said, he's also not telling everything. We know he's smiled to the camera at many events for example, and your idea that his pay wasn't doubled for that sitting doesn't stand, because they can pay those kinds of things as high or low as they want. It's a legal way for the UFC to hide money, but he didn't even bring that up and so my point is just about what else didn't he bring up.

I noticed the grand finale of his point was getting rich by being on a McGregor card. The point is valid for others, but Mac got wise to this & insisted on nobody else sharing his PPV take. Tyron Woodley exposed that while explaining why he refused a McGregor card while he was champ because he wouldn't be collecting PPV points. Apparently Mac was being negotiated down due to stacking his cards and he decided that he didn't need a stacked card and so all the money should be his.

It's a valid point he's making there though if he shares the stage for others, like Jones or others, but he's not really bringing much to the table as a draw himself. He's amazing, he's just not a draw.

You saw my earlier post with his PPV drawing power, he would've never made PPV points on his own anyway, so it's kind of a moot point that he didn't get PPV points for the first 3 title defenses because he didn't reach the threshold for payout anyway. The only time he got into any real PPV points was when he was co-headlining with someone who actually does move the needle.

I love him as a fighter, so it's a bit of a contrast for me to talk about his low drawing power, but it is what it is. He does have a gripe, but he also said he signed a new contract early on, and that's also on him for not penning in higher pay if he were to get the belt.

Why spending 20-30 min for this post?

Demetrious Johnsons is a beta-male with no personality.

Unfortunately UFC likes Jorge Masvidal and Khamzat Chimaev due to their attitude.

Maybe his "promotor" Dana white and the UFC brass should have done their jobs and actually promoted him
They completely failed him. He was exciting as fuck, dominate and a cool ass dude.
Those ppv buys aren't on him

He was boring. His fights were boring, even the fight with Ray Borg where he pulled the flying arm bar was a crap fight until that point.

The moment DJ lost the title and it went to Cejudo, PPV numbers nearly tripled. UFC barely promoted Cejudo but Cejudo actually has a personality.

When DJ lost his belt and all he did was shrug and say it was no big deal, I knew UFC was going to get rid of him, one of the worst post-fight interviews for a losing champion.

He was boring. His fights were boring, even the fight with Ray Borg where he pulled the flying arm bar was a crap fight until that point.

The moment DJ lost the title and it went to Cejudo, PPV numbers nearly tripled. UFC barely promoted Cejudo but Cejudo actually has a personality.

When DJ lost his belt and all he did was shrug and say it was no big deal, I knew UFC was going to get rid of him, one of the worst post-fight interviews for a losing champion.
You are fake news and you should be ashamed of those statements

I am more entertained by flyweights than most HWs. But 125 is a tad light. Wrestling goes this low but think 130 would be better compromise. Then perhaps stagger 140 , 150, 160. Fighter pay is based on drawing viewers it is entertainment biz. OneFC in Asia has more viewers liking the lighter weights since they have boxing, kick boxing at those weights with followers. The higher paying markets of US, EU lighter weights less interesting. UFC still helped MM build his name. Being UFC champ has a bigger brand than outside. Compare to his training pal Bibi. Bibi was smarter went for money but has less name recognition. Moreno and Figi at least making 125 interesting. MM v CCC rivalry could have continued. Even Fig would welcome another few lbs +. UFC was considering dropping 125 so MM leaving was prudent choice. Luckily still around. Howz the HW division doing ? The good ones also holding out for more money, a lot more. Instead they put out a few chubbers that mainly have good chins and some ok slugging .

If you got together a team of marketing analytics professionals, they could objectively prove to you, that he is worth more than 20k to show.

Lol. Ok, sure. That's blind speculation. There's a good chance that the team of marketing analytics professionals that the UFC undoubtedly has objectively proved to UFC management that Mini Mouse was a net loss every time he headlined a card.

People are still in denial that the UFC is first and foremost an entertainment company. Championship belts are just promotional tools—that's it. If you're not attracting views for the advertisers, you're not making the big bucks, champion or not.

I don't really have an opinion on how much DJ should have been paid in voluntarily signed contracts but the fact that he sees PPV points as something to get on a Conor McGregor card and cash in on is telling.

Back