defending the"can opener"

wizard

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok so i was grappling pretty hard with my amigo...and since hes new to the game...he uses brute force.....well he got me in a "can oppener" i think thats what you call it.....mark coleman had used this hold in pride once.....well i had to tap coz it hurt like mutha fukka...

any escapes????? i dont know any

thanx for the help

A really great counter to a can opener is an armbar. Just open your guard and put one of your feet on one of his hips. Use that to push out to the opposite side and overhook the arm to trap it. Then throw the same leg you had on his hip over his face and apply. It's very sneaky and often catches your opponent off guard.

A good and the most basic escape is just to open your guard and place both feet on his hips butt scooting your hips away from his. That will relieve the pressure on your neck.

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]A really great counter to a can opener is an armbar. Just open your guard and put one of your feet on one of his hips. Use that to push out to the opposite side and overhook the arm to trap it. Then throw the same leg you had on his hip over his face and apply. It's very sneaky and often catches your opponent off guard.

A good and the most basic escape is just to open your guard and place both feet on his hips butt scooting your hips away from his. That will relieve the pressure on your neck.[/QUOTE]

yeah that sounds really good.............gotta try tha next time......thanx allot

I asked this question a short time ago, so I know how you feel! I hate that thing!

The best defense is to not get in it. Always controll one of their arms while you have them in guard. But if you do get caught you can cross your arms and grab their biceps. This will give you a good frame for relieving the pressure of the can opener. You've got good leverage and can fight off somone bigger than you.

Plus, once you've defended it, you can go for the armbar. It really does work.

try to brake their grip
or open your guard and go for a takedown
or try to get the armbar

Just open your guard and turn sideways and bring your hips out to the side to alleviate the pressure of the neck crank.

That's if he has good technique and doesn't allow you to just arm-bar you. Remember that a can-opener is a very basic way of baiting an arm-bar attempt, so he is probably already thinking of passing your guard if you try.

Just pushing up on his elbows in conjunction with opening your guard and hipping-out will nullify his neck-crank.

the easiest way to escape this while they are putting it on is to take both you hands and place under opponents chin and extend your arms straight up..in order for them to crank you neck their arms need to be bend into your stomach or chest. By forcing their head away from you, you can prevent their arms from bending which relieves the pressure on the back of your neck.

Doesnt your opponent trying a neck crank easily set them up for a double armbar?

it depends, if he is really strong it will be hard to armbar him. The simple thing to do will be to 1) open your guard 2) shift your hips 3) use the blade of your hand/arm and push his face up. That usualy stops him from using the can opener.

I"m new to grappling but can't you just dig your forearm into his face or throat (cross face) ???????

three fingers together, place at the base of his neck and push straight in, they always let go. Oh btw, that isn't bjj. but it is combat grappling.

Sohei said:
Doesnt your opponent trying a neck crank easily set them up for a double armbar?

"Double armbar"?

You getting greedy here, and just can't pick one?

first and most common thing is open your guard and come up with it. It you sit there with your guard closed and try to fight it you are just submitting yourself. A can opener shouldn't be a finishing move but merely a way of most people to open the guard.

Can Openers are extremely dangerous and most noobs dont know how hard they are doing it to someone and noobs dont know when to tap. Just tap. Your neck gets fucked with your fucked for life

Basically just open your guard, sit up, and pull the head down (you should always be controlling the head and a arm, or two arms when the person is in your guard) while turning your head to the side.. you can then easily slip your head out.

if they have it fully cranked (i.e. their elbows are on your chest and they are laying on the crown of your head) i usually just tap. you can open the guard up, but sometimes that doesn't work either if the guy is based out well. the mark kerr vs. igor borisov fight is a perfect example of this. borisov got hauled out of the ring on a stretcher and to my knowledge, hasn't fought again since then.

if they have just started to apply it, i find the simplest way to counter it is to bring both of your arms up through the inside of his to your elbows and then wrap up his arms, then pull your elbows toward each other. this will usually break his grip on your head, but this has to be done very fast before he finds his leverage.

Enron Exec. said:
Can Openers are extremely dangerous and most noobs dont know how hard they are doing it to someone and noobs dont know when to tap. Just tap. Your neck gets fucked with your fucked for life

my neck is real flexible though- but I know when too tap- its easy to avoid the can opener just push upwards on ur opponent face- or open ur guard- or go 4 a armbar

If you are quick try this: I cup my hands around their armpits and push myself farther underneath him. So my head is at about his chest level. I lock my legs around his ribs and squeeze and then lock my arms around my legs for added squeeze. If the guy doesn't tap, you're defenitely going to hurt him badly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back