Defending the body triangle.

_Glorfindel_

MMA Coach
Reaction score
Hi,

There is a big strong dude, friend of mine, who i roll with. He's very good to put body triangle on you. He got long leg and he's tall. I'm kind of struggling by now with that. It's very uncomftable, difficult to breath and he can punch too.

Someone have some tips to defend that? i'm not talking about how avoid the position. I'm talking about kind of an escape or trick.

Thx,

Hi,

There is a big strong dude, friend of mine, who i roll with. He's very good to put body triangle on you. He got long leg and he's tall. I'm kind of struggling by now with that. It's very uncomftable, difficult to breath and he can punch too.

Someone have some tips to defend that? i'm not talking about how avoid the position. I'm talking about kind of an escape or trick.

Thx,

Is he applying it from the front or the back?

If from the front it is generally much less effective as he is left open to strikes and is on his back, and you should be able to reach around to unwrap it. You can also use your elbows - not as strikes - to target the nerves inside his thighs or groin to pop them open.

If he has you wrapped up from the back, it is tighter and tougher to counter, but there are a couple of things that can work. First, don't get flat on your belly. Stay with your belly up, and try to lean to the side where his knee is pointing out to your side. The other side will have his knee wrapped over his own ankle for the triangle. Grab his lower leg or ankle of the leg that is overwrapping his ankle and pull it down and in to compress is own calf against his own ankle. He will eight let you go or get submitted.

Also, you can try drilling your elbow into his shin bone to make him pop it open.

In either case, be sure to protect your neck by defending it with at least one arm, so he doesn't rear choke you.

If you are quick enough, and careful enough, you might be able to do a skull crush by quickly reaching back with both hands to pull his head forward, and grind his face into the back of your skull, making him let go of you. If you are able to over wrap one of his arms you can try for a wrist lock, to see if it harasses him enough to let you go.

Good luck.

P.S. You PM me if you have any other questions on this.

You can do what a spaz in my class did and flap around violently... it just so happened I needed to stop because of a high ankle sprain. He is now a target when I roll.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is he applying it from the front or the back?

If from the front it is generally much less effective as he is left open to strikes and is on his back, and you should be able to reach around to unwrap it. You can also use your elbows - not as strikes - to target the nerves inside his thighs or groin to pop them open.

If he has you wrapped up from the back, it is tighter and tougher to counter, but there are a couple of things that can work. First, don't get flat on your belly. Stay with your belly up, and try to lean to the side where his knee is pointing out to your side. The other side will have his knee wrapped over his own ankle for the triangle. Grab his lower leg or ankle of the leg that is overwrapping his ankle and pull it down and in to compress is own calf against his own ankle. He will eight let you go or get submitted.

Also, you can try drilling your elbow into his shin bone to make him pop it open.

In either case, be sure to protect your neck by defending it with at least one arm, so he doesn't rear choke you.

If you are quick enough, and careful enough, you might be able to do a skull crush by quickly reaching back with both hands to pull his head forward, and grind his face into the back of your skull, making him let go of you. If you are able to over wrap one of his arms you can try for a wrist lock, to see if it harasses him enough to let you go.

Good luck.

P.S. You PM me if you have any other questions on this.

Thx a lot, i will try to work on it. Like you said he can choke me too and it's kind of hard to defend 2 things at the same time: the choke and the body triangle. It doesnt help either when the guy is 6'2 220, i'm 5'9 190, i'm kind of strong but this dude is stronger and bigger ;-)

Thx you very much Mikey, it will help me alot. I cant wait to try it.

If you've never done it go slow with the hips, it's easy to injure your partner--it doesn't feel like much of a movement, but the sub comes suddenly.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUnYDMXcsKo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

very cool stuff. thanks

If you've never done it go slow with the hips, it's easy to injure your partner--it doesn't feel like much of a movement, but the sub comes suddenly.

I was realy struggling with this position, sometimes i was kind of powering it out, but a strong guy can realy hurt you in that position if he crank it.

Dont worry, since i will enjoy doing it to my buddy, i will make sure to not injuring him :D

the video will work sometimes, sometimes not. its an easy submission to get out of... so if you've got the back, protect your anaconda!

Mikey's got the move. I've got vid of some of the Gracie brothers showing the same technique. But it is easier to see this no gi version.

I love this counter. I never get put in body triangles at the academy any more because my teammates are so wary of this counter.

I have used the move that Mickey shows on the video. I am constantly surprised when I hear that guys are caught in the body triangle and do not know this counter. I see the body triangle used in the UFC and I am always screaming for the guy to trap the leg and hip up. I did not watch the video all of the way since I saw it was showing the counter that I use. So if they cover this part sorry for the repeat. If the hiping up is not working puch down on the leg of your opponent (The one going across your body) so that it is closer to your hip.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but i have a question for the BJJ guys who are more rule savvy:
Since in BJJ competitions, leglocks are not allowed but up to the more advanced belts - is it legal to try and apply this escape (the one in the video, where you "tie" your leg against their own, bridge, pressure on their ankle)?
Since it's a leg/foot lock (anklesnap as a friend calls it) trying it would get you DQ? If it's illegal, and some other white/blue belt gets you into a triangle, how are you supposed to get out of it? Wait until the other guy gets tired or bored and lets you out of it?

Ssince most guys at my gym know their way out of it, i don't use it that often anymore. But if the escape is considered illegal for "no leglock" competitions, i'm going to start throwing body triangles left and right.

Thanks.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but i have a question for the BJJ guys who are more rule savvy:
Since in BJJ competitions, leglocks are not allowed but up to the more advanced belts - is it legal to try and apply this escape (the one in the video, where you "tie" your leg against their own, bridge, pressure on their ankle)?
Since it's a leg/foot lock (anklesnap as a friend calls it) trying it would get you DQ? If it's illegal, and some other white/blue belt gets you into a triangle, how are you supposed to get out of it? Wait until the other guy gets tired or bored and lets you out of it?

Ssince most guys at my gym know their way out of it, i don't use it that often anymore. But if the escape is considered illegal for "no leglock" competitions, i'm going to start throwing body triangles left and right.

Thanks.

This tech is allowed for gi competitions.

I dont know why this is allowed but other leg locks arent but I will guess.

1. It is the only effective way to work out of body triangles, and crossed legs.

2. Unlike other leg locks, it is easy for traditional bjjists to avoid so they permit its use.

This tech is allowed for gi competitions.

I dont know why this is allowed but other leg locks arent but I will guess.

1. It is the only effective way to work out of body triangles, and crossed legs.

2. Unlike other leg locks, it is easy for traditional bjjists to avoid so they permit its use.

Thanks for clarifying. Seems i'll have to keep doing it high (upper torso, as opposed to lower torso). Or against those hulk-like wrestlers who don't know many counters and escapes, but just muscle out of whatever you put them in.

Back