defending gnp from the guard...

owarujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
normally my guard is decent when we are strictly grappling, yesterday we started adding light strikes to our rolls and i found that i have a hard time defending punches when on my back....whats the best strategy for keeping a heavy handed opp. at bay from guard? any thoughts

johnny has it right. my coach always says the three rules of gnp are position, posture, punch. if you keep him in guard, and break his posture he is going to have a hard time punching

never lay flat on ur back unless u got him locked up with overhooks unders or a combo. other options are double wrsit control.

From more of an open guard I like to block their punch by using the bottom of my foot on their bicep...then immediately going to a triangle...Im surprised I don't see that used more often...I trained some MMA and I used to get this a high % of the time....but this is only when someone is standing over your open guard trying to punch you.

From a closed guard break posture....also rubber guard can be very effective!

You need to break them down and keep them down with whizzers or a grip on the head, then try to get out on your side, positions like the williams guard or the john danaher clamp are your best bets.

Like others have said posture is your enemy. Head and arm control are key but also in a closed guard don't forget to use your legs. Do a crunch pulling your legs forward and it will also ruin their posture. Head and arm control are hard to maintain against someone with good upper body strength. So use your legs also. Mix it up . If all you every do is try for is the same head and arm grip they'll see it coming.

Hilo Guard. Put both feet on his hips. All the strength and accuracy of his strikes comes from his hips. Control his hips and you control his ability to strike effectively.

My favorite is getting an overhook on one arm. But you get it so deep, yea, you actually can get a whizzer, its the same grip, just a real deep overhook.

Don't over hook both sides though unless you want to just stall or hold on and think. Get your same side over hook hip to the mat. Its easy to get armbars and triangles or sweeps like this. You can also block the other hand with your knee or other hand on the bicep.

Quarter nelsons are possible here too.

Best break down EVER though, its my super secret probably done all the time set-up :

1)Get a tight over-hook on one arm.
2)Hip down and angle to that side.
3)When the other arm comes to you (pushing off your chest or punching), catch it with your other arm and feed it to your over-hook.
4) You now have an armbar grip on his far arm and a deep over hook with the other. Might be hard to picture though but the guy has little options from here.

As my recent thread said, I'm adapting to using the Rubber Guard a lot. I feel more comfortable there and it is great for holding posture down. Play around with some of the RG stuff, you'll like it.

Joe,

Thanks for the tip! I'm a newb but I always look to setup an overhook from the guard. I go for triangles or sweeps but never thought about armbarring the far arm.

Watch Jorge Gurgel - Alvin Robinsson, then you know how you dont should fight from the guard in mma :)
I have a few differant type of guards, first i like to play a sort of spiderguard with both my shins to his biceps and control his wrist or his elbow (Kenny shows it in his nogi dvd), and also the one expleined by Joe Funaro with the overhook (Florian shows this to, i think Penn also in his e-book) and also butterfly guard, good to standup, lots of sweep and good the mess with the opponents base...

In MMA try not get on your back and if you do try and get up as much as you can. BJJ it's fine to work your guard, but it's a lot harder in MMA

Oh well gee thanks for that great tip.

Anyways, like I said before, the quarter nelson is really good to break posture and angle off to the side.

I also like to use a RNC grip. Eddie Bravo has some good ways to break and keep his posture down. Pick up his books or just look around the web.

Back