Defending armbar sidem. and backm.

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Guys, what are the ways to defend an armbar attack on the sidemount (on the opposite hand) and from the backmount? From the beginning (like not letting any space between your body and your hand) to the end (when he secured the hand, passed over n-s and is trying to lean on his back - in sidem.). Not talking about escapes from the armbar itself! Thx!

From the back, keep your elbows in against your ribs and your hands protecting your neck, chin on your chest. Keep the elbows in tight and the armbar shouldn't even be an option.

I'm not quite following the side mount question, so I'd just say before he sits out with the armbar pass his leg off your face and depending on the resulting position sit up into their guard watching out not to get triangled or go round to side control.

BTW, you going to the BTT Barcelona camp?

i use the same defense for any armbar almost ... just grab whichever hand the guy is going for with your other hand to give yourself a few seconds, roll towards the guys head and stand up from there i either just pull my hand out or rotate the guy until his face is facing the mat then pull the arm out and you may be able to take the back if they're slow or if not go for the side mount or leg lock

note: watch for the triangle when you do this

Superbeast said:
From the back, keep your elbows in against your ribs and your hands protecting your neck, chin on your chest. Keep the elbows in tight and the armbar shouldn't even be an option.

I'm not quite following the side mount question, so I'd just say before he sits out with the armbar pass his leg off your face and depending on the resulting position sit up into their guard watching out not to get triangled or go round to side control.

BTW, you going to the BTT Barcelona camp?
I was talking about the spinning armbar, when he grabs your far arm. Not going to the camp. Financial problems :) Are you?

Umm basic armbar defense? Keep your elbows tight like Superbeast said and if he manages to trap your far arm from the side mount turn into him and make sure he can't throw his leg over your head. You should be able to clock your body out of his grip from there. He shouldn't even be able to do this if you kept your elbows in because he could have to grip under your armpit and hug your far arm to his shoulder.

tudor_bjj said:
I was talking about the spinning armbar, when he grabs your far arm. Not going to the camp. Financial problems :) Are you?

Yes.

Back