Defending ankle locks from a stronger opponent

n...not crazy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I always have trouble with this. If a big hulk grabs my ankle and does anything, I feel helpless. I've seen Bas's tapes, he says to angle your foot out, so he can't grab your heel. But hell, I feel so helpless when a much stronger opponent gets a hold of my ankle and foot. Suggestions?

Turn the knee out hard, so that your heel goes against their ribs. That should give you some room and some time.

[edit - I assumed you were talking about straight ankle lock. That's what this is for. Thanks for bringing that up ybot]

Strait ankle lock? Toe holds? Heal Hooks (Yes they effect the ankles too)? Exactly what kind of ankle lock? It depends.

Ybot said:
Strait ankle lock? Toe holds? Heal Hooks (Yes they effect the ankles too)? Exactly what kind of ankle lock? It depends.

Heel hook and Achilles hold, they sort of come from the same position. Once my ankle is under the guy's armpit... It seems like strength is a big factor at this point.

you shouldnt try to roll out of a straight ankle lock, if the guy has it secured well your gonna end up twisting your knee and screwing yourself over.

you got to come up on him like Rickson did to Takada (II)
Royce did to Shammy (I)

your right if you lay there, a big strong guy will finish you,
he will start cranking your calf, your whole bone, & it will start sinking in.

if your guard is closed then your feet are ok behind your opponent.
if you guard is open you want your feet in front your opponent.

If you turn your knee far out to the side, he can get another lock so long as he gets his legs positioned ot mimmobilize yours. It's like a reverse heel hook.

Follow Direct Drive's advice, and just be cognizant of where your legs are at.

For the strait ankle lock once he grabs the ankle flex you toes back as hard as you can and push your heel as far through as you can by straitening your leg (this also makes it harder to catch your heel for a heel hook), also grab high either his head or his lapel and try to pull in close. By doing this you are buying time. Now strip the foot your opponent is using to try to push you back, sit on in and continue to sit out to the side past that foot. once your leg is no longer controled by his knees your safe from the ankle lock and can come up on him possibly.

you got to come up on them,

when your more skilled you can do all these small things
but even then against a worthy opponent, you will still
come up on them.

For the Achilles, you can try youtr damnedest to keep your foot straight (in the normal position). This doesn't always work against stronger guys, but it does buy you some time.

SSJP said:
For the Achilles, you can try youtr damnedest to keep your foot straight (in the normal position). This doesn't always work against stronger guys, but it does buy you some time.

It will gie you soem time, but the guy can pop his hip away to make roomto get the arm in, then pop back quickly. You need to be moving in the small amount oftime it gies you.

You can instead of trying to slid your foot out, smashing your foot deeper in and coming up on him.

not textbook bjj , but if u feel ur opponent grab ur ankle jerk urself away from him and yank that leg out. watch mario sperry do it to sum homer simpson lookin sambo expert in pride.

but the best advice - if your guard is closed then your feet are ok behind your opponent.
if you guard is open you want your feet in front your opponent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back