defending a hold

Fall of Exile

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing some grappling with a friend of mine. He is the same size as I am and his knowledge of submissions and positions is lesser than mine. Everytime I grapple, I am relaxed and I don't use 100% of my strenght, as oppose to him. I am able to submit him from the guard or side control or mount.

But everytime we start on our knees, he somehow gets the hold of my head, whether I shoot low or from the side. It's either a guillotine choke or the bully head lock (see Carlos Newton vs Pat Miletich). None of them seem to hit my neck, more so the jaw. It hurts like a bitch. Sometimes I am able to overcome the pain, find a good position and break the lock. Most of the times I just tap, because I have a feeling he's going to break my jaw.

I was wondering, if there is a simple defense or trick to overcome a lock like these two. It's not a choke, more like squeezing my head with everything he's got. I've never seen somebody tap to this (in MMA). Do I just have to overcome the pain everytime and then eat through a straw for the next couple of days. Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

no midget for me. so if both start on knees, one has to pull guard.

no midget for me. so if both start on knees, one has to pull guard.

I do pull guard. But I really want to overome this and be agressive. I want to take him down and control him from top position as oppose to pulling guard. This would be probably easier if we started on our feet. I would be able to clinch higher or shoot lower. Be more agressive. He just seem to get a hold of my head and squeeze it. I just don't understand how come this is a major problem for me, but you never see anybody do what he does, neither anybody tap from that. Again, it is possible for me to overcome the pain and eventually break the grip. But in a couple of attempts, it really hurts my jaw.

I do pull guard. But I really want to overome this and be agressive. I want to take him down and control him from top position as oppose to pulling guard. This would be probably easier if we started on our feet. I would be able to clinch higher or shoot lower. Be more agressive. He just seem to get a hold of my head and squeeze it. I just don't understand how come this is a major problem for me, but you never see anybody do what he does, neither anybody tap from that. Again, it is possible for me to overcome the pain and eventually break the grip. But in a couple of attempts, it really hurts my jaw.

shooting for tkd from the knees is dumb.

as you realise it is just too easy for uke to grab your head and stall.

I guess so. So I should just work in the upper clinch?

what about just starting from stand up for specific tkd training?

doing upper clinch from you knees is dumb as you always notice one person will end cheating and will stand up.

But I really want to overome this and be agressive. I want to take him down and control him from top position as oppose to pulling guard. This would be probably easier if we started on our feet.

Correct. If you want to take him down then start from the feet. There is no such thing as a takedown from the knees. Only midget judo or midget wrestling.

Don't drop your head when coming into him and he won't be able to catch the guillotine.

Also, if you're just grappling with your friend in your yard, and aren't actually training, and want advice on how to tap out your friend, I withdraw anything constructive I have said.

go and join a BJJ school

^^^ The best advice you will get on this thread, I guarantee it.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your help.

Next time, it is probably better to work on takedowns on the feet and ground game seperately.

go and join a BJJ school

^^^ The best advice you will get on this thread, I guarantee it.

I know. Martial arts is really just a form of recreation for me. The only possible way for me to train is to work with friends because of my busy school and job schedule. I find boxing once a week with friends easier, since I've done more boxing than bjj. But still I like the grappling part so much.

I know. Martial arts is really just a form of recreation for me. The only possible way for me to train is to work with friends because of my busy school and job schedule. I find boxing once a week with friends easier, since I've done more boxing than bjj. But still I like the grappling part so much.

Yeah but do your friends actually have any legitimate training? Because if not then what you're doing isn't training. Training implies learning and developing skill. If you guys are just some untrained dudes trying to submit each other (or punch in the case of boxing), then there's actually a good chance you're getting worse, by developing bad habits.

As much as you don't want to hear it, don't grapple until you train. It's dangerous, you learn a lot of safety things in class that you wouldn't think of (breakfalls for example). I'll admit I used to grapple with friends a bit, which led me to get involved in the BJJ classes here. But I'm off training because I injured my knee and wrist outside of class a few weeks ago.

Yeah but do your friends actually have any legitimate training? Because if not then what you're doing isn't training. Training implies learning and developing skill. If you guys are just some untrained dudes trying to submit each other (or punch in the case of boxing), then there's actually a good chance you're getting worse, by developing bad habits.

This guy doesn't. That is why I go really easy with him, almost lazy. I never refuse to tap when hurt. I spar with two other guys that train / have trained. I find it easier with them, because I know what to expect. Armbars, guillotines, rnc, etc. Submissions I know how to defend, positions I know how to work. That's why I was guessing there must be a simple way to overcome a primitive bully-style hold (not even a choke). Just wanting to defend it. And don't get me wrong, we are not two over-competitive dudes trying to break each other.

As much as you don't want to hear it, don't grapple until you train. It's dangerous, you learn a lot of safety things in class that you wouldn't think of (breakfalls for example). I'll admit I used to grapple with friends a bit, which led me to get involved in the BJJ classes here. But I'm off training because I injured my knee and wrist outside of class a few weeks ago.

Will consider that, thanks for the advice.

Back