Defence from back

Godhand13

White Belt
Reaction score
I had my second ever grappling session today, and I went pretty well considering (e.g I didn't get submitted after three seconds) but I kept on ending up on my back without any way to finish the fight. Anybody got some tips for subs off my back and just fighting off my back generally?

mounted. I went to guard every time, but I didn't have any way of finishing the fight from that position, so I either got my opponent to give up and stand the fight up, or I got up myself.

There are more submissions off your back than we could post and describe here.

Get with your instructor. You will learn with time. If it was only your second class, ofcourse you are not going to know what to do.

If you want to research on your own time, there are tons of books, videos and web pages that can show you some things and give you ideas.

More classes and mat time will be the best way to learn.

If you were mounted, the only thing you want to think about is escaping that position.

I've been training 6 weeks now, roughly 3-4 times a week. As a fellow white belter I can tell you that I spend a lot of time on my back and tapping. It's not for lack of trying I can tell you that much. It's very difficult and very humbling to come into this sport. White belt, as I'm quickly learning, is a belt of paying your dues and getting beat the hell up. It's fun as shit though! Keep training. Even if you feel like you're not progressing, you are.

if your mounted go for a sweep or get to guard.
if your in guard go for guilotine, armabr, triangle, kimura
same with half guard
if your in side control to regain guard

actually, if you have guard, i recommend learning how to break your opponents posture, getting your grips and stripping his grips, and keeping closed guard

then work on your sweeps and subs

you're brand new, so for now if you get closed guard just try to armbar. your coach will see you doing it wrong and then show you how to do an armbar properly, and hey, you just learned something. but you will still get it wrong, probably for years. but you will get incrementally better at it and learn more and more little details on how to do it effectively once you get the basics down. jiu-jitsu takes a long time to learn. just keep at it and let yourself get discouraged or quit.

Try Collar Chokes and Kimuras to start, less chance of you losing your guard.

Back