Decisions overturned? (Lion fight 27)

Cap_reD

ANTI ZUFFA ZOMBIE
@Orange
Reaction score
I see that controverisal LION fight 27 match up got the decision reversed in the favor of Balanos.

Is this common? I haven't followed the sport for too long,since right before ITS SHOWTIME folded and haven't seen this happen before. The sentiment on here seemed pretty accepting of the ruling it wasn't as universally upsetting as RVR/Sittichai for example so why over turn this result? It makes their judges look crooked and like a less legitimate promotion bullied by fanboys.

Thoughts?

A lot of people on here were judging it as if it was happening in the Thai stadiums, rather than acknowledging the IKF scoring criteria. It appears the judges did the same.

A lot of people on here were judging it as if it was happening in the Thai stadiums, rather than acknowledging the IKF scoring criteria. It appears the judges did the same.

Doesn't matter. Even under those rules you can't find 3 rounds that were clearly for Bolanos, and that's the only way a fight should be changed. Under those rules it was close and had no reason to be changed.

It was changed because the loser was a fighter the promotion badly wanted to win and a few fanboys cried robbery. Now the house fighter is still unbeaten and they learned C- opposition is too risky for him. Yay! On to the next jabroni. "He's back!"

Doesn't matter. Even under those rules you can't find 3 rounds that were clearly for Bolanos, and that's the only way a fight should be changed. Under those rules it was close and had no reason to be changed.

It was changed because the loser was a fighter the promotion badly wanted to win and a few fanboys cried robbery. Now the house fighter is still unbeaten and they learned C- opposition is too risky for him. Yay! On to the next jabroni. "He's back!"
I felt that Bolanos won the last 3 rounds, but it wasn't the worst robbery ever for sure. I think it was Kirian Fitzgibbons making a huge stink that caused them to overturn it. Bolanos seemingly didn't care that much.

I felt that Bolanos won the last 3 rounds, but it wasn't the worst robbery ever for sure. I think it was Kirian Fitzgibbons making a huge stink that caused them to overturn it. Bolanos seemingly didn't care that much.

Doubt it. Most coaches are upset a close fight goes the other way. Just about NEVER is the result overturned. Why here? Come on, don't be naive.

I guess every competitive fight going forward will be turned over to 21 judges around the world to decide who won. Uh huh, I bet.

I felt Gaston won as well, 100%.
Overall, it was a good fight. Much respect to both Nak Muay. One of the nights best fights!
I just want to see the sport grow worldwide, Muay Thai is the greatest sport of all time!
IMO

I felt Gaston won as well, 100%.
Overall, it was a good fight. Much respect to both Nak Muay. One of the nights best fights!
I just want to see the sport grow worldwide, Muay Thai is the greatest sport of all time!
IMO

How many "Can't Stop Crazy" t-shirts do you have?

Doubt it. Most coaches are upset a close fight goes the other way. Just about NEVER is the result overturned. Why here? Come on, don't be naive.

I guess every competitive fight going forward will be turned over to 21 judges around the world to decide who won. Uh huh, I bet.
So your arguement is that folks from within Lion Fight were pushing for it being overturned? Maybe, neither of us could know that to be true though. What I do know is Kirian has plenty of connections and influence in US MT scene. It's no wonder why his fighters are always given the biggest push in Lion Fight.

So your arguement is that folks from within Lion Fight were pushing for it being overturned? Maybe, neither of us could know that to be true though. What I do know is Kirian has plenty of connections and influence in US MT scene. It's no wonder why his fighters are always given the biggest push in Lion Fight.

Orginally that was my thought, but now I just think the IKF is a corrupt shithole of a sanctioning body.

It's funny how they go about changing the decision. The 21 judges know they're watching it because the result is apparently outrageous. Of course they'll say Bolanos won. There's pressure for them to come to that conclusion. If the Thai was getting "robbed" the video never would have came to them.

The WBC overturned a couple of fights last year in boxing that were blatant robberies. That's fine. This fight was not a robbery. 3-2, 2-3, 2-2-1 etc... are common scores here. If someone thinks Bolanos dominated the fight and clearly won 5-0 they are just fucking idiots. A close fight does not warrant a fucking review and an overturn.

http://ikfmuaythai.com/PhetrachapatVSBolanos.htm

It would seem Bolanos is a player in the game that they support. What's the purpose of pointing out the records? What does that have to do with anything? Propping up Bolanos. "7 fights and we feel he beat the Thai with 170 fights! ZOMG!"

And the quote at the bottom.

"Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity." W. Clement Stone...

Give me a break!

I'm like a retarded Chomsky here, but if Bolanos lost to anyone other than a Thai, it doesn't get to this point. Beating the mythical Thai is what matters. There is no distinction to the general audience, or even fans a lot times. Saenchai, Kronpet, or a taxi driver, no difference. Now they got the win over the Thai and it's all good again. "HE HAD 170 FIGHTS!!!" Yep, eat that up! And in a sport like Muay Thai it works great. About 7 people know better. Just look at the Sherdog report on this. His manager says...

The fact that the decision was overturned, however, by 18 of the 21 independent reviewers just goes to show that not only can he compete with the best, most experienced Muay Thai fighters in the world, he can beat them.”

Joe Schilling said the same thing after that "USA vs Thailand" show where he and Romie Adanza beat two poor Thais. "We just beat the top fighters in Thailand."

Fuck me!

Last edited:
Lol, what a joke. Personally I agreed with the original decision, could have seen it go the other way as well but I don't think it even warranted consideration to be overturned.

We might come to an age where the final decision is not the final decision and fighters must fear for their win months after they have been decided the winner just because they did not knock their opponent out and prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Just the idea of overturning it to please some fans and complainers kind of cheapens the sport IMO. Should've just moved on, or re-matched if it was such a big deal.

Ya even though I feel Gaston won the fight, I think overturning and giving him the win is a bit extreme. It wasn't that horrible of a decision.

still not watched it so can't say anything about the decision, but if it was a s close as a lot have said, then it hasn't really don't the sport or Lion Fights cause a lot of good to overturn it like this, may have appeased one side, but set a dangerous precedent for future shows, not happy with decision then mount a campaign on social media to get it overturned, not really showing a great deal of sporting spirit imho!

I find this bizarre, for better or worse the judges decision on the night is final.

The only time to over turn is for proven corruption or judge rigging situation.

the only time this ever happens is when the outcome was not what the promotion and sanctioning body wanted.
lol! if lion fights was not pushing for the overturned decision then they will never use the ikf again. it is obvious that the fighter that lion fight and the ikf wanted to win did not and that was why they sent out video and overturned the decision. If you are going to change the decision it should have been declared a draw. It is not good for the sport to overturn decisions when you can not prove favoritism or incompetence by the officials.

Last edited:
Luckily kickboxing has these 21 judges of shadowy figures to use in the future as scapegoats in case any other future contenders slip up.

IMO it makes North American muay thai look bush league. You hired your judges because you trusted their opinion don't cross that with shadyness.

I think it's pretty ludicrous that the IKF has decided to overturn the decision. If you lose a fight because of bad officiating that's just the way the cookie crumbles in combat sports, no one stays undefeated forever.

I was at the fight and it to me could of gone either way 3-2. I gave it to Kronpet myself and im a Gaston Bolanos fan. This looks like Lion Fight is doing what the PKA did with Benny Urquidez turning his losses to no contests.

I can't say that the ruling was warranted since I didn't watch the fight (nor will I), but I think overturning decisions is a slippery slope. I don't know who pushed this and I can't say that Lion Fight or the IKF is corrupt, but all my experiences fighting on IKF cards have been positive for the most part. I have met Steve Fossum (one of IKF's heads) and he was a down to earth guy who I felt had the sport, the fighters, and the fight community's interest at heart. I hope who ever decided this appreciates that fucking around with fight decisions can undermine fighters careers, and uses more discretion in the future. Every other fight card has a questionable decision, next time just set up a god damn rematch.

I try to read more to understand this situation but I dont find much information on specifics.

Who initiates a review? Is it the promoter asking for review or do the IKF do it automatically? Is every fight reviewed or do they only review 'controversial' or split decisions? What happens to the judges involved, do they get sacked?

Back