Dealing with MC Dojos ...

ichimonji

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So we have a Karate gym down the street.

Never really had an issue but we found out that they are teaching Brazilian Jiujitsu (without a BJJ instructor) and handing out these cards.

IMG957932.jpg

Of course none of the 4 men pictured train there.

They are very careful legally never to make specific claims.

Any others have issues with premier martial arts gyms?

How to let people involved know that their teaching is a scam.

1. Attend their "BJJ" class.
2. Beat the shit out of whoever is teaching the class.
3. Repeat as necessary.

Go Miyamoto Musashi on them. Go in there and shut them down. Also send this to the UG... they'll take care of it.

just beat the shit out of them during a "trial lesson", then send all your friends who can grapple too!!

remember this is for their kids classes ..lol

so we might not attract parents if we beat them up ...

What I was suggesting was running a campaign and give anyone who brings a copy of that advertisement in to our gym a free month of BJJ. What I want to know is it trespassing to stand on the sidewalk in front of his establishment.

Doing what everyone else here is suggesting would make you a douchebag.

Instead (assuming you're at least a decent blue belt), wear your gi and rank in the trial class and when you're there, respectfully take part in the class as you would as a student. Being a douchebag about it wouldn't encourage any of the students to join your club instead.

Assuming you are right and their students suck, mention that you'll continue training at your club down the street instead.

If your prediction is wrong and they pwn you, well, then they have every right to train submission wrestling as you do.

your club should start offering sub par karate instruction from no instructor so you are then on par with this club.

Go check it out and let us know what you see. By the way, Ive been seeing this around in various Karate gyms.

My instructor is a BJJ black belt but runs a karate school as well. From the look of the size of the classes, the karate is his paycheque. Also how do you know they don't have a BJJ purple belt or something teaching class? Their handout is not necessarily going to run down the instructors whole lineage. We care about it, but your average mom enrolling her kid in a martial art class, probably not so much.

My suggestion is to not worry about what someone else is doing. Their students are probably locked into a contract anyway. You not going to stop other people from doing their thing. If where you train is much better the serious practitioners will find you eventually.

By the way are you the owner of your club or a student?

I am one of the instructors, the picture was sent to me by the owner today.

In all seriousness we are busting at the seems with the kids programs. I just hate to see people taken for.

We have 3 very good submission grappling gyms in the vicinity.

Maybe the best way to deal with him is to bring in a couple of flyers for the next tournament and see if i cant get them to compete.

I don't see any issue with their program unless:
(A) The instructor is a current or former student at your gym.
(B) The instructor isn't at least a veteran blue belt.

If you do an invasion, understand you'll probably only get one shot. Teachers don't like being exposed in front of their students. Best bet is to do as Commissar said...wear your rank, be respectful, and let your grappling do the talking. Just realize that you risk coming off as a bit of a bully. Even moreso if you try stunts like passing out flyers for your gym in front of their school.

I would also caution you not to assume they are a McDojo just because they teach karate or have an instructor without enough credentials to satisfy you. My instructor (now a 3rd degree black belt) was a purple belt when he opened his school, and teaches karate as well (he is a 5th degree black belt in shorin ryu karate). Just because you teach karate (or even TKD) does not make you a McDojo.

Well the dojo I formerly attended(note: they didn't teach BJJ but shootfighting) offers Zumba as part of their so-called "integrated conditioning" which is taught by the head instructor's daughter who proclaims herself a two time national champion but gets her ass in sparring or major tournaments.

In retrospect the following is what you should watch out for:

1)They claim their style is the best and/or ultimate
2)They discourage cross training in other disciplines
3)They are geared more towards fitness or offer things like "cardio kickboxing"(see above)
4)No contact is allowed during sparring or is not allowed.
5)They make you sign contracts and/or charge ridiculous amounts(the dojo I went to charged 200 a month)

The list goes on and on but the ones I mentioned are the most obvious ones.

I'd like to start a tv show called "McDojo Invasion with Rousimar Palhares"

I'd like to start a tv show called "McDojo Invasion with Rousimar Palhares"

Would watch. But all the places you would go would of course teach things that are "too deadly for sparring" anyways.

Back