Dealing with an aggressive/come forward fighter

Forgottoduck

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In sparring and fighting I tend to be more of a stand back, work the leg kicks, work the jab and then go inside on my own terms and get back out as soon as I've thrown what I feel to be an effective combo if I'm not going for the clinch.

Aggressive/brawler type fighters who wade in throwing lots of hooks and knees I find the most difficult to deal with as I'm not one for brawling. My favourite technique (and the only one I've really tried and tested) is to stick the jab and then circle away to my right (being a south paw).

Any other techniques you use on dealing with these types of fighters you've found to be effective that you'd care to share?

BTW I am talking about Muay Thai but Boxing, Kickboxing or whatever other style of striking responses are welcome.

Teeps always keep the range, side step and throw a hand combo. Once you get good you can throw body kicks and move backwards when you skip to throw the kick, that way you'll catch them moving into the body kick and send them off balance, huge point scorer!!!

I'll have to give that a try, being fairly new to Muay Thai coming from a mainly grappling background, I'm keen to stop getting battered. Didn't realise how big a difference there was between grappling fitness and striking fitness, those hands just don't wanna stay up!

I'll have to give that a try, being fairly new to Muay Thai coming from a mainly grappling background, I'm keen to stop getting battered. Didn't realise how big a difference there was between grappling fitness and striking fitness, those hands just don't wanna stay up!

LOL yeah, even after taking a few months out your traps hurt trying to keep your guard up for like an hour at a time. Best of luck with sparring etc!

Simply put: you are ignoring the fundamentals - distance.

You are not causing your opponent to be cautious about comming forward. There is no threat to him. Do not allow him to feel free comming forward and controlling the distance like that.

Control the distance. Do not allow him to feel that there isnt a threat if he comes forward.

Use your jabs, crosses, what ever suits you. Set an example everytime he tries to freely come forward. Soon enough he will know that comming forward like that poses a threat to him, that he can be hurt.

im 1 of them come forward fighter, and what ppl get me with is, moving to the sides, cuz i always try to push ppl bak, but if they move to the sides of me and throw then that gets me. i have a few more suggestions il put soon

As a southpaw, try stepping to your left and as you do, leg kick - doesn't have to be powerful seeing as you're only sparring, but it'll land - I do this but as Orthodox and sometimes between southpaw and orthodox to throw people off. Even circling off and stepping into a hook as you do it works wonders.

I used to be a come forward type of guy, but since I had more educated training and fought more I've changed from come forward and brawl to standing back and picking my shots. Theres ups and downs to both styles, though. Or if you feel up to it, stand toe to toe and brawl back? works sometimes, you'd be suprised.

Control the distance.

Totally agree. I personally find aggressive guys the easiest to fight, since once you have control of the distance, it's basically target practice.

If come-forward guys keep getting in on you, it's because there's something wrong with your a) jab, b) teep, or c) footwork. See if you can find ways to apply them more effectively, and you'll start to like sparring these guys :)

Yeah, I definately need to work on keeping my distance, coming from a grappling background (Judo etc.) it's completely alien as it's in my head to get in as close as possible.

I'll have to give circling and kicking as well if they start getting in to close.

I have tried the brawl back idea and it does work against some people, but there's at least 3 guys at my club who I can try going toe to toe with and just end up coming of worse as they are a fair bit heavier and stronger than me.

Cheers for all the advice though very helpful :icon_chee

He is sorta getting you with a basic rule of boxing which is to brawl a boxer and box a brawler. If you are going to be the technician, then be that as its your only way to defeat him presuming you cant out agress him/her. People above have mentioned good technical things that will help you. Jab, circle, and be first.

You have to show power or else any fighter will wade right into your space

Yeah, I definately need to work on keeping my distance, coming from a grappling background (Judo etc.) it's completely alien as it's in my head to get in as close as possible.

I'll have to give circling and kicking as well if they start getting in to close.

I have tried the brawl back idea and it does work against some people, but there's at least 3 guys at my club who I can try going toe to toe with and just end up coming of worse as they are a fair bit heavier and stronger than me.

Cheers for all the advice though very helpful :icon_chee

controlling the distance does not have to be interpreted as keeping away...... instead, stay in your range and keep your opponent having to make the adjustments. In short, If your having trouble with guys who press forward, jam you up, and pressure...... well, figure out how to get them to set or move away, that's controlling the distance. I know the adage of "box a brawler" and "brawl a boxer" is common place. But sometimes you have to brawl the brawler so you can force him to box you, and vice versa........ I.E: Ali vs. Foreman, Hagler vs. Leonard, Mosely vs. Mayweather........ there are countless examples.

in boxing when guys rush in on me with a big one two i like to throw my left hook (orthodox stance) and roll out to my left...its a money move for me always gets me out of trouble...plus for some reason my left hook is harder than my right straight.

controlling the distance does not have to be interpreted as keeping away......

Exactly. You can be close, or you can be far away... That part doesn't matter. What matters is that YOU control it, and not your opponent.

Also, staying too far away can actually cause you to lose control of the distance. Aim to stay just outside of his range, and work from there (depending on what you are trying to do).

pretty much what everyone else says about controlling the distance

This fight is a good example of outfighting a an aggresive fighter. Martinez does a fantastic job of setting Williams up and counterpunching him.

Get a good sense of distance and get ready to make them miss. Making them miss allows you to land some flush shots that'll make them think twice about coming in so aggressive.

For me, I'm a taller guy (6'2, 220), and although I'm pretty good with my jab and teep, I tend to prefer getting guys who bullrush forward with a check hook and a follow up cross for good measure.

Really though, you just have to find a hole in their defense and dynamite it open. If the other guy is rushing you, then he's probably leaving something open, and you need to control distance and stay balanced enough to be able to counter well. If he's lunging with his right, check hook. He drops his lead hand? Counter with a cross. Coming straight at you? Time a teep right to the bread basket, or circle away as he rushes in.

Remember that if someone's coming forward, they have a split second less time to set themselves and react, so they're essentially giving up some reach and/ or time + space to defend. It's also important to remember not to lose your cool under fire, you need to be able to punch in traffic against pressure fighters/ brawlers, and if you aren't OK with getting hit, then that's a completely different issue altogether.

If your fighting an orthodox fighter work on foot work to help control distance use lateral movement. Keep your right foot on the out side of their left foot so you have the advantage, use your front leg, leg kick to help keep your right leg to the outside. Also work on hooking after a stiff jab, this pushes you opponent to the inside and you can follow up with a left cross and end the combination with a left leg kick.

when he rushes kick body level.
will force him to stop and both of you reset at distance, he rush again kick at body again, solid roundhouse.
just like buakaw against zambidis.
when he gets in clinch and push him out to distance.
inside leg kicks knock him off balance when charging forward fast, will make him stop.

Back