Media DC: Khabib used the triangle because he didn't want to break Justin's arm infront of his parents

i dont believe this horseshit for one second.

he used the triangle simply because an armbar is very risky to pull off from mount even if you have the arm isolated.

you saw the first time he went for the armbar Justin was in a position to defend it and roll over on top. It is very possible he wouldve finished it if he had the time to do so however it would have been a battle and a scramble in which khabib couldve easily ended up on bottom.

with the triangle locked in even if you cant submit you have a better position to get up off the ground if the guy rolls you over and defends properly

this is pretty simple stuff anybody that has done bjj for a few years can understand. thats why in no gi you see more mounted triangles than mounted armbars these days. in a gi the mounted armber is much easier to pull off

What I don't get is why the fuck would he break his arm in the first place?

He tried to arm bar justin in round one though
He ditched the arm bar and went with a bicep slicer to tire his arm and to put the fear of an arm bar in the back of Justin's head.

That's probably also the reason justin didn't expect the triangle because he was worried about the arm bar

Reactions: 1AM
i dont believe this horseshit for one second.

he used the triangle simply because an armbar is very risky to pull off from mount even if you have the arm isolated.

you saw the first time he went for the armbar Justin was in a position to defend it and roll over on top. It is very possible he wouldve finished it if he had the time to do so however it would have been a battle and a scramble in which khabib couldve easily ended up on bottom.

with the triangle locked in even if you cant submit you have a better position to get up off the ground if the guy rolls you over and defends properly

this is pretty simple stuff anybody that has done bjj for a few years can understand. thats why in no gi you see more mounted triangles than mounted armbars these days. in a gi the mounted armber is much easier to pull off
Awesome! Great insight for a clueless fool like me.

Very merciful guy. He went easy on MJ aswell. The only one he really wanted to hurt was Conor. Khabib bless. GOAT.
And yet did the least amount of damage was done to McGregor. The "mauling" people exaggerate about never really happened. That's why they'll post the gif of that overhand right that when watched closely, NEVER put McGregor on his ass, in fact his ass never touched the mat. Talk about reaching from Khabib "fans"

Very merciful guy. He went easy on MJ aswell. The only one he really wanted to hurt was Conor. Khabib bless. GOAT.
<Huh2>
SameElasticLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_ogk718rGS91vu6duzo2_500.gif

^ "Going easy"

Yea i dont believe that shit, just like he "had" mumps 2 weeks before the fight. Of course his team is gonna try and make him look more of a badass than he is. Gaychee also has shit bjj defense, that triangle was horrible, he could have went out the back door but just laid into that triangle.

And yet did the least amount of damage was done to McGregor. The "mauling" people exaggerate about never really happened. That's why they'll post the gif of that overhand right that when watched closely, NEVER put McGregor on his ass, in fact his ass never touched the mat. Talk about reaching from Khabib "fans"
In the second round at one point Khabib stood over his guard and rained down GnP for a full thirty seconds. Not many landed flushed but right before that he forced McGregor to open his guard with some vicious elbows.

He mauled MJ and Barboza worse but McGregor was put through the ringer himself.
That explains the lack of GNP that we’re used to seeing from khabib in top position
I was wondering why he threw virtually zero punches from on top as well.
I don't think its because of that, I think its because Gaethje explodes to his feet instead of settling into guard so creating space for GnP is risky. Better to take advantage of Gaethje's scrambling to go for dominant positions and subs instead.

It worked...but I wouldn't call that move "high fight IQ". He gave up a dominant position (mount) to go for a sub that would have put him in guard if he didn't pull it off. That's not a high fight IQ move.
I consider it high fight IQ. He set up everything considering how he felt Gaethe would try to escape from the mounted triangle. He locked and held on to his foot once triangle was in place so Justin's head wouldn't slip out during the transition, and he grabbed Gaethe's leg anticipating Gaethe would try to pick him up and slam him. That's awareness of the escapes available and he set up the moves in the sequence of attempted escapes. That's chess, not checkers.

Last edited:
In the second round at one point Khabib stood over his guard and rained down GnP for a full thirty seconds. Not many landed flushed but right before that he forced McGregor to open his guard with some vicious elbows.

He mauled MJ and Barboza worse but McGregor was put through the ringer himself.

I don't think its because of that, I think its because Gaethje explodes to his feet instead of settling into guard so creating space for GnP is risky. Better to take advantage of Gaethje's scrambling to go for dominant positions and subs instead.
Works for me as well.
Woulda "liked" but I ran out of ....!!!

Yeah, I had a feeling this was the case because Jason is one of the better refs out there and usually is on point.

Herzog is usually a top notch ref. Every ref makes mistakes, even Jason, but they're few and far between. He's not a well known ref because he rarely fucks up. That's a good thing.

That explains the lack of GNP that we’re used to seeing from khabib in top position
Exactly its almost like he said” Justin your lucky guy i like you...your whole family is here you were very respectful, so i dont want to smesh your face i will take mercy on you in my fathers honor, just go to sleep sweet dream”

Reactions: 1AM
It worked...but I wouldn't call that move "high fight IQ". He gave up a dominant position (mount) to go for a sub that would have put him in guard if he didn't pull it off. That's not a high fight IQ move.
Idk, he knows Gaethje scrambles to his feet so I think he saw an opportunity to bait Gaethje with it. Plus Khabib has a great trap guard so even on bottom he'd be a huge threat to someone like Gaethje. Also I think he'd only roll to his back if he knew he had it which, as we saw, he did.

I do see your point but I just think Khabib is one of those guys who knows the submission so well its much less of a risk for him. Kind of like how some guys have a killer guillotine so its worth it for them to jump to it.

He almost buroke Johnsons arm with the kimura lol.......

He mentioned after the fight that he cranked on it slowly to give MJ time to tap and that he didn't want to negatively affect MJ for the rest of his career by just breaking it. He cited Nog vs Mir and wanted to avoid that.

Granted putting someone in an extraordinarily painful sub isn't exactly nice, but that's Dagestani mercy for you.

Yea i dont believe that shit, just like he "had" mumps 2 weeks before the fight. Of course his team is gonna try and make him look more of a badass than he is. Gaychee also has shit bjj defense, that triangle was horrible, he could have went out the back door but just laid into that triangle.
Both his arms were locked though. Right arm under the leg of Khabib and left behind Khabib shoulder. You need your arms to create a little leverage

This man keeps showing that he is levels - levels - above any competition. To consider an alternative submission in the thick of the scramble because it was his father's favourite submission and to avoid breaking Justin's arm out of compassion.

You can't make this up.
Fight IQ >9000

29-0

Alhamdulillah

Lets not get carried away too much. Gaethje basically has no groundskills at all. You don't need a high fight IQ to pick your submission with him, just a decent ground game is enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back