David Tua

KennysElbow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
REALLY curious about this guy because I don't know to much about boxing.
But I have seen quite a few of his highlights and was wondering a few things.

He seems like a BEAST and I was wondering where he stands today in boxing?
I didn't see many threads about his fight tonight and I was wondering why?

Don't rag on me to much because I really don't know much about boxing but the only two names I recognize on his record are Lennox Lewis and John ruiz.
What about those other great HW's?

REALLY curious about this guy because I don't know to much about boxing.
But I have seen quite a few of his highlights and was wondering a few things.

He seems like a BEAST and I was wondering where he stands today in boxing?
I didn't see many threads about his fight tonight and I was wondering why?

Don't rag on me to much because I really don't know much about boxing but the only two names I recognize on his record are Lennox Lewis and John ruiz.
What about those other great HW's?

The one who doesn't fall, never stands up.

He had a crack at the belt but got out worked by Lewis back in 2000, He lost to Chis Byrd a year later

He hasn't lost since 2001, But was inactive from 2007 - 2009.

He knocked out Shane Cameron in round 2 last year ( You guys prob won't know who cameron is, but he was the best HW in New Zealand at the time), he then Bashed Friday Ahunanya, Trying to make another run at the title, then he had that fight tonight vs Monte Barret . . Didn't look as in great shape as he did in the Friday fight.

He had a crack at the belt but got out worked by Lewis back in 2000, He lost to Chis Byrd a year later

He hasn't lost since 2001, But was inactive from 2007 - 2009.

He knocked out Shane Cameron in round 2 last year ( You guys prob won't know who cameron is, but he was the best HW in New Zealand at the time), he then Bashed Friday Ahunanya, Trying to make another run at the title, then he had that fight tonight vs Monte Barret . . Didn't look as in great shape as he did in the Friday fight.

So he's kind of at the tail end of his career? And never got to win a HW belt?
Maybe I just don't know how boxing works, but why hasnt he fought for the belt more than once if he's been that dominant?

So he's kind of at the tail end of his career? And never got to win a HW belt?
Maybe I just don't know how boxing works, but why hasnt he fought for the belt more than once if he's been that dominant?

I'm not a huge boxing fan either, but i watch his fights of course because he lives in the same suburb as me, Haha.

I'm guessing he didn't get more than one title shot because he lost to Lennox Lewis, Won 1 fight, then lost to Byrd. Ever since then he hasn't been that active, taking a 2 year break from 03-05, then again 07-09. On many recent interviews he said he wants to make another run at the title, I think he can do it. Looked great in the first 6 rounds vs Monte Barret ( Got knocked down for the first time in 50 something pro fights tho ), an was strong for all 12 against Ahunanya.

Well I'm a big fan. I just watched the first 4 rounds and he looked awesome.

To bad it came out to a draw.
He's still a beast but he looks A LOT older than what I remembered.
Like you said, he looked out of shape.

Seems like hes not getting the respect he deserves all around the world.

Well I'm a big fan. I just watched the first 4 rounds and he looked awesome.

To bad it came out to a draw
He's still a beast but he looks A LOT older than what I remembered.
Like you said, he looked out of shape.

Seems like hes not getting the respect he deserves all around the world.

Tua was quite lucky to get a draw tonight and you may see that to if you were to watch the rest of the fight from the 5th round on.

Yeah I'm going to to watch the rest of it. I just said it was to bad because I enjoy his style. And didnt want him to lose.

I read he got knocked down for the first time as well.

But it seems he lacks fans? Is this because he's good, but not good enough to get that sort of high recognition?

Yeah I'm going to to watch the rest of it. I just said it was to bad because I enjoy his style. And didnt want him to lose.

I read he got knocked down for the first time as well.

But it seems he lacks fans? Is this because he's good, but not good enough to get that sort of high recognition?

Tua doesn't really lack fans, as he had a good ten year span (mid 90's to mid 00's) where he was one of the most popular heavyweights in boxing and I'm sure has still retained a good fanbase. Power punchers such as him are generally quite popular.

He just hasn't really had any relevance to the top of the division since the early part of the last decade, though, and thus, doesn't get nearly the attention he once did. He's been trying to build himself back up over the last couple of years, but his best days are from the decade past.

Well, Rahman I believe IS REALLY the first person that knocked him down in their second fight.

If you can't beat Monte Barrett, then you really should hang them up.

Tua could've been something special...his work ethic started lacking after he had a little success.

He's tough as hell, and hits hard as hell, but he got a few solid wins under his belt and stopped training as hard. He fought Ike Ibeabuchi when nobody else wanted to take that fight, and he lost, but they set some kind of record for it...I don't remember what that was, but I remember watching it as a youngster...great fight.

Tua could've been something special...his work ethic started lacking after he had a little success.

He's tough as hell, and hits hard as hell, but he got a few solid wins under his belt and stopped training as hard. He fought Ike Ibeabuchi when nobody else wanted to take that fight, and he lost, but they set some kind of record for it...I don't remember what that was, but I remember watching it as a youngster...great fight.
It is a great fight.

"Great heavyweight fight between David Tua and Ike Ibeabuchi. This fight set a CompuBox record for most combined punches thrown in a heavyweight fight (1,730).Ibeabuchi set an individual record for punches thrown in a heavyweight fight (975).

YouTube - David Tua Vs Ike Ibeabuchi (PART 1/5) "

Tua lost his dedication after 2007, the man simply ate and got so obese which explains his fatigue in last night's match.

he's around 37-38, that's way too late to beat someone in the caliber of the klitschkos or Haye.

but the man can fucking blow someone's head off with his power, that's for sure.

He will go down as one of the best of our era to NEVER win a title.

Well, Rahman I believe IS REALLY the first person that knocked him down in their second fight.

exactly, for Odlanier Solis it took him 2 rounds to beat Barrett and he's heading towards the same road as tua (overweight).

I expected Tua to finish him up around round 3 or so.

I believe it was the other way around. Tua was the real feared one and Ike was the more unknown.

Tua was fun to watch but he never had the will or the style to beat greatest heavyweights of his era.

Yea Rahman set him on his ass at the end of their fight. Both were swinging at the bell and Rahman's punch connected.

Yeah... I was unsure if Tua could come back or not as a contender. After drawing with Monte Barrett I am now pretty much convicned that he is done

Back