David (Tank) Abbott at age 30

Wut? 90x6 + 45 + maybe 2 small ones on the end?

It's extremely hard to be 100% accurate in regards to the weight on the bar. Some plate manufacturers didn't guarantee that the weight listed on the plate was accurate (could be higher or lower). When you lift competition plates, those plates are made to exact specifications. They are within grams of the listed number. If the bar is from a European manufacturer, it was most likely 44lbs (20kg). The change plates on the end were most likely a pair of 2.5lbs and 5lbs.

Tank-abbot-wes-cabbage-corierra.jpg

Tank Abbott came onto the MMA scene at UFC 6 in Caspar,Wyoming in 1995 like a monstrous whirlwind of unmitigated violence not seen in previous UFC's. Here in this video, albeit short, he makes his UFC debut against a very large individual in John Matua. The weigh in's for this match had Matua at a 120 pound advantage Matua weighting in at 400 and Abbott at 280. Tank would go on and advance in the UFC 6 tournament to the finals and lose to Oleg Taktarov where both men had to be assisted out of the octagon from exhaustion. Tank would go on and have many more memorable highlight reel knockouts but would lose many more as the years went on. Tank Abbott was a fan favorite however and was always met with raucous applause. Tank Abbot was a very good wrestler but his matches never lasted long, he holds the MMA record for fighting in 24 straight fights where the ending came in the first round. At the end of his career Tank Abbott would have a losing record of 10-15, however he has remains in MMA history as one of the most feared punchers to ever compete. Note, UFC 6 served as Michael Buffer's first announcing gig in the UFC. It was also the first UFC super-fight champion in Ken Shamrock. UFC 6 had no judges, no rounds but there was a 20 minutes quarterfinal limit, the finals had a 30 minute time limit.

Imagine THAT Tank Abbot throwing a right hand from the other side of the room into that machine at the performance institute. Lol Call me crazy but we might have had a new record.

once upon a time in the UFC 215 pounds vs 270 pounds <Moves>

Here is longer version of the fight with interview at end, better quality. Vitor Belfort vs Don Frye would have been bananas but Frye had left the UFC just months prior.

the original Huntington Beach badboy

the NHB fights were electric. so much violence.

Huge respect for Tank, most fighters weren't watching their diets and maximizing their cardios in his day. It's impossible to say what kind of fighter he would be if he fought today. I imagine he'd still be a brawler-type but that doesn't mean he would still have poor cardio or shitty TDD. His one punch KO power was at least as deadly as Francis'.

Ufc's real first superstar..went on to appear on friends the biggest show ever almost and was in wcw before Ronda made it cool on tmz

for some reason i thought this thread title said tank abbott dead at age 30 and i panicked for a second before realising that wouldnt make any sense

Although his form was trash, there are no amateur or pro bodybuilders to ever bench 600.

Ronnie Colemans best is somewhere around 545 and Stan Efferdings (WR holding powerlifter and IFBB Pro bodybuilder) best bench is close to 600 but not quite

Well, this is a guy I know from high school benching 595lbs (he is under 220lbs in this video, btw) and Im pretty sure he was also an amateur bodybuilder around that time. Starting, at least..

One of the craziest things I remember about Tank was in a UFC promo where they showed him benching 600lbs.

It was very impressive BUT I always wonder if there may have been a fake 45lb weight in the middle?

The bar was bending like crap so it seemed real.....His form was Ehhhh!

Same with Jon Jones, who knows if he really was lifting those weights?

I also saw LIL Sage repping 225lbs like 30 times I think......Not for nothing but, When I was at my strongest, AND juicing, I think I could only rep 225 like 15 times, I honestly can't remember.

There is no doubt that Sage is a ripped dude but repping 225 like NFL footballers seems a little far fetched for someone who weighs 155 or whatever he does.
I would only believe it if I was in the gym and felt the iron weights.
If it is real, he should be flinging people across the ring just like Rampage use to do.

EVERYONE can photoshop anything in 2018. Just saying.

Here is his fight with Frye.

Tank's subtle footwork and use of his jab in this fight is very impressive. He also enters Frye's domain of dirty boxing and does quite well.

What a short but sweet, epic dog fight.

Here is his fight with Frye.

Tank's subtle footwork and use of his jab in this fight is very impressive. He also enters Frye's domain of dirty boxing and does quite well.

What a short but sweet, epic dog fight.

they dont make em like that anymore. no point fighting about it.

Here is longer version of the fight with interview at end, better quality. Vitor Belfort vs Don Frye would have been bananas but Frye had left the UFC just months prior.

I remember this. Incredible how explosive he was, esp how quick he got up from being on the ground.

This version of Vitor (215 cutting down to 205) would wreck a lot of people in the LHW division today

Back