• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER! (Receives rare F CinemaGrade)

If you have seen MOTHER!, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
James Jean will be selling prints of the artwork he did for the movie; limited to only 100 copies. I would assume it's from his own website. This evening (PST).
mother-finish-webres.jpg

Because what room wouldn't be brightened by Jennifer Lawrence's chest vagina?

James Woods Chest vagina>Jennifer Lawrence

When they showed this at the Venice Film Festival, it recieved boos and a standing ovation. Sounds like a movie you'll eitther love or hate. No middle ground.

the entire theatre I was in burst out laughing at the trailer....I think everyone thought it was a fake trailer

When they showed this at the Venice Film Festival, it recieved boos and a standing ovation. Sounds like a movie you'll eitther love or hate. No middle ground.

I've seen a couple of reviews and they were completely divided. Some 0-1 star reviews and then some 4-5 star reviews. I'll probably end up seeing it sometime next week

This seems like it'll be a real arty-farty, pretentious movie that will divide crowds massively, I'll definitely give it a go.

I wonder if you might be thinking of two films and conflating them, PECKER and SPANKING THE MONKEY.
You're right, is was Spanking the Monkey. Not sure how I forgot that title. Don't recall ever seeing the movie Pecker.
I must have also remembered the nice boobs wrong as well. Just looked up the movie and that's not true.

Gonna go see it tonight, I think the trailer looks excellent. Looks like a slow paced psychological horror/thriller, probably doesn't appeal to the majority of modern audiences today but I'm still pretty stoked for it.

the entire theatre I was in burst out laughing at the trailer....I think everyone thought it was a fake trailer

Weird, I thought the trailer was pretty dark and eerie.

Although when I saw "The Witch" the audience laughed at a scene where a naked old witch is mutilating the corpse of a baby, Americans are fucking weird sometimes.

Last edited:
It's got a 6.4 rating on IMDB. I doubt it's good.

It looks like a Rosemary's baby ripoff, but I love everyone in it and I'm a big aronofsky fan. So I'm gonna go catch it on Saturday and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Weird, I thought the trailer was pretty dark and eerie.

Although when I saw "The Witch" the audience laughed at a scene where a naked old witch is mutilating the corpse of a baby, Americans are fucking weird sometimes.

I think its the trailer guy voice that threw everyone off

think of a serious drama movie in the past couple years that has used mr. trailer voice to setup the film... like its just so rare that I think people forgot that Trailer Voice was a must-have for movie trailers....but now that trailers have had years of jump cuts/jump scares and music to sell the movie, the trailer voice just seemed like a massive gimmick.

EDIT: I see that the trailer in the movie thread is different than the one that played before IT at my movie theatre...which had this INCREDIBLY gimmicky Mr. Trailer-Voice describing the movie...it was bad

I think its the trailer guy voice that threw everyone off

think of a serious drama movie in the past couple years that has used mr. trailer voice to setup the film... like its just so rare that I think people forgot that Trailer Voice was a must-have for movie trailers....but now that trailers have had years of jump cuts/jump scares and music to sell the movie, the trailer voice just seemed like a massive gimmick.

Gave the trailer an 80s vibe for me, I liked it.

Wild fucking movie, didnt really understand all of it since it's basically just a shit ton of symbolism, but it was definitely an interesting film to watch unfold. Not going to be for everyone for sure, tbh I'm not even too sure how I feel about it, but it was definitely very intriguing and unique. Got the vibe that everyone else in the theater hated it, one girl yelled out "That sucked!" When the credits rolled.

Yeah. So I saw this this afternoon.

I'm sure some will say, and say, it is something brilliant. It was not bad up until - well if you watch it you'll know what I mean when I say - WTF is going on.

solid acting but that cannot save this movie.

The trailer is definitely misleading - IMO.

I'll also say that I'm glad I got an unexpected day off of work and only paid matinee price.

Back