Darrelle Revis '09>JJ Watt 2014

That could be argued. But what is more important, possibly getting a sack, or taking one of the best players on an opposing team completely out of the game?

Sure Watt may get a few sacks, but a QB will eventually get passes off. If his best weapon is non-existent, that changes the gameplan completely.

I'd rather attack the QB and stuff the run than force your defense to play 10 on 10 the rest of the game. Teams have been spreading the ball around more that the dependency on a single receiver isn't there on top teams.

By and large I think teams are dumb to play corners like Rex did Revis. He shaded the best receiver, but because of that still left the rest of the field a possibility. By playing like Sherman does on the Seahawks, it makes the opposing offense much more predictable. He is going to shut down a third/sixth of the field and the odds are that the QB will throw the opposite way which the defense can get stacked for. It makes the rest of the players better.

I'd rather attack the QB and stuff the run than force your defense to play 10 on 10 the rest of the game. Teams have been spreading the ball around more that the dependency on a single receiver isn't there on top teams.

By and large I think teams are dumb to play corners like Rex did Revis. He shaded the best receiver, but because of that still left the rest of the field a possibility. By playing like Sherman does on the Seahawks, it makes the opposing offense much more predictable. He is going to shut down a third/sixth of the field and the odds are that the QB will throw the opposite way which the defense can get stacked for. It makes the rest of the players better.

I agree with that theory against some teams, but against teams that rely very hardly on one receiver (Detroit and Megatron, Dallas and Dez, Cincy and AJ, Atlanta and Julio, ittsburgh and Brown, etc...) it works out nicely to be able to take away an offense's best threat and make an inferior player beat you.

I like what I'm reading so far

james-gandolfini-fade.jpg

michael-jordan-lol.gif

lol at wasting all that time and effort just to post it in this shithole

Yeah, I'd take this to Reddit, TS. No offense to the NFL regulars here, but they're mostly pricks that don't know much about football.

Last edited:
Early contender for 2015 thread of the year tbh

I agree with that theory against some teams, but against teams that rely very hardly on one receiver (Detroit and Megatron, Dallas and Dez, Cincy and AJ, Atlanta and Julio, ittsburgh and Brown, etc...) it works out nicely to be able to take away an offense's best threat and make an inferior player beat you.

Detroit was much more balanced this year regardless of who they played and were better for it.

Revis does nothing to help against Demarco Murray or LeVeon Bell.

It's just a numbers game that DE's are in more plays than CB's. Even in this pass happy league, teams only pass 57% of the time. That means 43% of the time Revis' skill and effect is limited. Watt's is not. His ability to rush the passer and stop the run makes his effect much more frequently than Revis.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Antonio Brown had the highest target % of the league at 30% (could be someone else, I am guessing). The Steelers ran 1068 plays this year, 612 pass and 456 run, and targeted Brown 181 times (17% of offensive plays). Shadowing Brown for the entire game would on average affect 17% of the plays this year.

I didn't read that wall of text, but I do agree that Revis' 2009 season is arguably the best defensive year of our lifetime and even better than Watt's. You can't go wrong choosing either season imo.

Detroit was much more balanced this year regardless of who they played and were better for it.

Revis does nothing to help against Demarco Murray or LeVeon Bell.

It's just a numbers game that DE's are in more plays than CB's. Even in this pass happy league, teams only pass 57% of the time. That means 43% of the time Revis' skill and effect is limited. Watt's is not. His ability to rush the passer and stop the run makes his effect much more frequently than Revis.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Antonio Brown had the highest target % of the league at 30% (could be someone else, I am guessing). The Steelers ran 1068 plays this year, 612 pass and 456 run, and targeted Brown 181 times (17% of offensive plays). Shadowing Brown for the entire game would on average affect 17% of the plays this year.

I like your line of thinking, you understand the intricate parts of the game.

But, here is my counter.

Revis, or an elite corner, as long as they are not pussy tacklers like Deion, can still make tackles in the run game. They arent ever gonna be Watt stopping the run, but they can contribute.

And if the elite corner can fully take away a player like Brown, who Ben loves, the percentages might say Brown is only targeted 17% of the time (lets round up to 20%). But how much production comes out of that percentage? Brown was responsible for almost one touchdown per game (He caught 13 TD passes in 16 games) and accounted for 1,700 of Ben's 4,952 yards. If Brown is a complete non-factor in a game, his production is zero, and that allows the other 10 defenders to focus on stopping Bell and covering Bryant, Miller, and Wheaton. Ben, and other QBs, rely so much on their best WRs as safety blankets especially on third down, and if the best player is completely taken out, it can throw an entire offense off rhythm.

The argument is which is better, getting head from Scarlett Johannsen or Jennifer Lawrence, there is no wrong answer. But I believe having a guy that is capable of totally eliminating a team's best big play threat and a guy that produces touchdowns on a regular basis, is slightly better than having an elite pass rusher.

You made a good point with Detroit, when teams bracketed Calvin, they had to develop other weapons and were better for it, but the team was better overall because of the defense. The offense was flat bad at times last year, but the defense was an elite unit and kept them in games. But the diversified attack on offense did help them improve. The addition of Golden Tate really helped and the emergence of Bell helped the rush game.

Scarlett, if she sticks her ass in the air during. Easy.

Agreed. ScarJo wins heads down, but I'm sure some will make an argument for Lawrence.

I actually got head from a girl whose hair looked almost exactly like Johansson's. It was the best hummer of my life because in my mind I could almost see Scarlett blowing me. Needless to say, her face was not in that universe haha.

Go back and read the articles about that award after it was given out, almost every columnist and journalist thought Revis got robbed.

OT, how do you think HaHa Clinton-Dix has played during his rookie season as a Pack fan?

Not remedy but I think HHCD has played very well outside week 1 where he didn't know how to tackle.

That's his biggest weakness.
His open field tackling. Demarco almost had a nice run but HHCD barely got him with a shoelace tackle.

Not in the least, but Alex and I are brothers in mock drafts's.

Richard Sherman shits on Revis, and I'm a Niners fan. That should tell you something. The's a reason his side of the field has led every possible metric in team secondary analysis for the past three years. Watt is the DPOY. It's not even a debate.

Watt first. Sherman second. There is no third.

Back