• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daniel Cormier explains why he believes Jim Miller isn’t a future UFC Hall of Famer

I’ve been a Miller fan for a very long time, but I wouldn’t say he’s a legend. Just because he has the most wins, doesn’t mean you should be in the HoF. If that’s the case, then shouldn’t the same be applied to all weight classes? And whenever someone beats that record? It’s going to be an insane amount of fighters in the HoF if that’s the case.

On the other hand, there are way too many guys in the HoF that have no business being there, so on that basis I’d say he should be indicted.

It's not "crying" to disagree with DC's take, especially one which is fairly difficult to defend given prior precedent in the UFC HoF...

...but I know you like being a lightning rod, so I'll let you cook. You got in early on this one.

@HHJ loves setting people's asses on fire, it's his favorite sir... that bastad lol.

Hall of Fame is a marketing tool, Jim Miller has entertained fans for years and harbored fan of the sport would always appreciate the guy. Shout out to Joe Lauzon who is in the same category as Jim for me
images

I think the difference is that Cerrone and Miller have set records in the UFC based on their longevity in the organization, while the others you mentioned haven't. Shields had a long and successful career, but was like 4-3-1 in the UFC. Fitch fought quite a bit more in the UFC, but not as long as Cerrone and Miller. Like Shields, he had impressive wins outside the UFC but I don't think they really count for this.

I was going to say the slippery slope started with Hendo, who's an absolute legend but never won a UFC belt and also fought a lot outside the UFC. However, Hendo won the UFC 17 tournament way back in 1997 and was in 3 title fights. He lost all of the title fights, but two were relatively close and went 5 rounds. And I think winning a UFC tournament win in the early days could be a proxy for winning a title later. He beat Alan Goes and Carlos Newton in the same night, which is probably more impressive than some "one and done" UFC champs who lost in their first title defense.

All good points, brother. I actually forgot/overestimated Shields’ stint in the UFC.

Hendo’s an interesting case. I didn’t start watching MMA until around 2006, so I’m not quite as knowledgeable on MMA history before then.

Last edited:
I’ve been a Miller fan for a very long time, but I wouldn’t say he’s a legend. Just because he has the most wins, doesn’t mean you should be in the HoF. If that’s the case, then shouldn’t the same be applied to all weight classes? And whenever someone beats that record? It’s going to be an insane amount of fighters in the HoF if that’s the case.

On the other hand, there are way too many guys in the HoF that have no business being there, so on that basis I’d say he should be indicted.

Nobody is beating that record most likely, so yeah it should mean something.

If Cowboy is, then he should too. But yeah, I think doing fine and be a though matchup for most for a long time is not good enough to get you in the HOF.

Find the NFL player with the most wins in their career.

Whoever that person is, I absolutely promise that they're either in the hall of fame or will be. 100% guaranteed. Period.

So even on that basis, DC is still wrong.

In baseball, for example, the pitcher with the most career wins is Cy Young. Not only is he a hall of famer, they literally have a yearly award named after him.
Wouldnt the "most wins" be a misleading stat in MMA? He also has a lot of loses too, means he fights low level guys a lot and loses when fights above his own level.

Just longevity and fights?? Perhaps not.

But the man has the most wins in UFC history, 2nd most finishes and 2nd most submission. That certainly counts for a lot and should HOF worthy.

DC should wake up and check the stats. He's wrong on this one.

Keep fighting the good fight brother man! Jim Miller can't fight them all by himself, even though he tries his best to do just that!

Jim was ranked 4-5 above Cerrone sir.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic lol.

We're moving into an era where it feels like fighters are content putting on one or two fights a year. Given that, nobody is beating Miller for fights or wins any time soon. He's an ironman. Put him in the HoF.

DC isn't wrong per se, but I think he's ignoring precedent here.

I wasn't bud, I was hyped before the Benson fight. Jim deserved a TS!

Yeah he's more than these cats are giving him credit for, which is a damn shame to be honest sir.

You guys made me change my mind. If he was indeed in the top 5 at one point and have the most win in UFC history, he does deserve a place.

Back