Dangerous stand up moves

jmcmma9

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi.
first of all I don't mean striking moves tht are dangerous( all of them are).
I'm wanting opinions on what techniques that work in kickboxing, are dangerous in MMA because of the added element of graphling.
I'm sure there is no deffinent answer, but I wondering if there are any strikes that nobody would do in the octagon.

I might have missed a bunch of them in several fights, but it comes to me that the uppercut in very unpopular if nonexistent in the UFC. Does anyone know why?

I am no expert on anything but I see a lot less kicking to the head in general in MMA. You still do see it at times, and you see some brutal kockouts that way, but not as often as in K1 or other striking formats.

Probably because if it does not connect the kicker is left pretty vulnerable to takedown. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.

Hi.
I'm wanting opinions on what techniques that work in kickboxing, are dangerous in MMA because of the added element of graphling.
I'm sure there is no deffinent answer, but I wondering if there are any strikes that nobody would do in the octagon.

I might have missed a bunch of them in several fights, but it comes to me that the uppercut in very unpopular if nonexistent in the UFC. Does anyone know why?

If you watch people that use dirty boxing, the uppercut is thrown a lot

I am no expert on anything but I see a lot less kicking to the head in general in MMA. You still do see it at times, and you see some brutal kockouts that way, but not as often as in K1 or other striking formats.

Probably because if it does not connect the kicker is left pretty vulnerable to takedown. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in.

That's one reason. The other is that there aren't that many good kickboxers in MMA.

The axekick haha. Also the spinning heel kick. Even Cung Le stopped throwing them against Shamrock. (he threw one and Shamrock intercepted and laid him out before he scrambled)

And yeah, people throw uppercuts all the time. Watch Lawler vs. Smith at the CBS EliteXC - great example of thai clinch vs. clinch boxing.

punches work great. as do kicks. wtf is with this thread.

you could at least proof read your post once before starting a thread.

axe kick, hook kick, spinning hook kick, tornado kick, lots of taekwondo kicks.

Hi.

This one:

YouTube - WCL - Raymond "The Real Deal" Daniels vs Damion Caldwell 2

I rarely, if ever, see a (effective) spin kick in mma.

Try executing a Shoryuken at close range. This is often very dangerous and has the added effect of setting your opponent's clothes on fire for a few seconds.

Reggie Warren once showed me the tiger claw and a Mu-Tay Land Kick. Pretty devastating shit.

any technique using spinning, jumping or flying should be done with extreme caution! In my opinion, all these techniques require a lot more commitment and if you miss, execute poorly, telegraph......etc, they can be easily countered. This is just from my experience, I guess there may be fighters who can execute these techniques with relatively low risk, I just can't think of any who can do it consistently.

any technique using spinning, jumping or flying should be done with extreme caution! In my opinion, all these techniques require a lot more commitment and if you miss, execute poorly, telegraph......etc, they can be easily countered. This is just from my experience, I guess there may be fighters who can execute these techniques with relatively low risk, I just can't think of any who can do it consistently.

SUDO TRIPLE SPINNING BACKFIST!

seriously Tekken straight jacked his moves.

It depends on distance. Every move has an application. Compare it to another sport say football for example:
If an offense is on the goalline of the opposing team and close to a touchdown, then it makes no sense to go deep....you hand the ball to a power runner and let him muscle for a yard. On the other hand when you need 50 yards for a first down then you may want to throw a hail mary.

The reason that we don't see as many is that fighters usually need an opportunity "to feel their opponent out" i.e. Get a perception of his speed, timing, tendencies so that they know what and how to execute.

When more karatekas and TKDers get in MMA we'll see this more often:
YouTube - David ''the crow'' Loiseau

The reason that we don't see as many is that fighters usually need an opportunity "to feel their opponent out" i.e. Get a perception of his speed, timing, tendencies so that they know what and how to execute.

When more karatekas and TKDers get in MMA we'll see this more often:
YouTube - David ''the crow'' Loiseau

I agree that timing, execution and technique are all necessary. But that is the case for any technique. What I am implying is the consequence for throwing a sloppy punch, kick, etc..... is often getting KTFO, or put on your back. The reason i think flying/jumping/spinning techniques are far more risky is the complexity of the moves makes the margin of error much smaller. You can learn to throw a 1-2 correctly and apply it to mma much easier than learning to use more complex moves like spinning backfist, jump kicks, spin kicks, etc.... even when these moves are done correctly by experienced fighters, they still leave far more room for error, making them more risky.

MMA is not point sparring, feeling out your opponent is a luxury you often don't have time for. When a guy is throwing punches, kicks, and shooting for takedowns, with the sole intent to hurt you and end a fight, using risky techniques and leaving more room for error seems a little foolish, at least for me! Instead of hearing a ref say "point" you hear your corner over you saying "dude, do you know where you're at?, tell me your name"

That's true. MMA makes traditional arts seem more like some kind of dance which do unrealistic moves.
As for flying attacks, I believe Spencer Fisher pulled off a KO with a flying knee in one of his fights. That happened because of great timing though.

That's true. MMA makes traditional arts seem more like some kind of dance which do unrealistic moves.
As for flying attacks, I believe Spencer Fisher pulled off a KO with a flying knee in one of his fights. That happened because of great timing though.

One name for you, Remy Bonjasky.

The axekick haha. Also the spinning heel kick. Even Cung Le stopped throwing them against Shamrock. (he threw one and Shamrock intercepted and laid him out before he scrambled)

And yeah, people throw uppercuts all the time. Watch Lawler vs. Smith at the CBS EliteXC - great example of thai clinch vs. clinch boxing.

Yeah, Cung also fell on his ass against Fryklund after missing an Axe Kick.

Any flashy kick that creates the risk of being off balance is dangerous if you don't want to go to the ground. You have to have incredible balance to pull them off in MMA and stay on your feet.

Back